Protein bars have come a long way....

Options
JLD81
JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
Hi all. I recently decided that I needed to increase my protein and decided that, since i have to push myself to eat enough as it is, that adding a protein bar or two in as a snack was a great option. My problem with that, however, was that I remembered to old school protein bars that were filled with sugar, all kinds of chemicals you couldn't pronounce, and almost all used to be whey protein (bad deal for me since I'm allergic to cow's milk). When I went shopping, however, I was pleasantly surprised to find that protein bars have evolved so much. I have found ones that I'm not allergic to (not easy when you are allergic to EVERYTHING but cardboard;) ), have natural ingredients, minimal sugar, with ingredients that I could pronounce. And the best shock of all, is that they don't have that nasty metallic taste like they used to have. I have found some that were high in protein, low in sugar, and tasted better than a snickers bar or cookie any day. Do any of you have a favorite protein bar that you really enjoy? I am up for new suggestions.

Replies

• butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I will be watching to see what everyone thinks of these things. To me personally, I think they taste like cardboard. :sick:
    The only one I can tolerate slightly is the Special K cranberry one.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I have found some that were high in protein, low in sugar, and tasted better than a snickers bar or cookie any day.

Can you tell me the brand name of the one you describe please and are you in the UK?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Quest bars FTW!
  • Palio75
    Options
    Cliff Builder Bars, chocolate mint tastes like girl scout cookies (AWSOME)
  • JLD81
    Options
    I will be watching to see what everyone thinks of these things. To me personally, I think they taste like cardboard. :sick:

Have you tried any of the Luna bars? I was expecting cardboard, but omg, the fudge covered coconut ones are AMAZING. I also like the lemon zest. The S'Mores was a bit disappointing.

They are not as high in protein as many of the others but are aimed towards women so they have added calcium, folic acid, etc...
  • Chrissie_R
    Chrissie_R Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    i'd like to know which one too!
  • butterflyfairy2
    Options

Have you tried any of the Luna bars? I was expecting cardboard, but omg, the fudge covered coconut ones are AMAZING. I also like the lemon zest. The S'Mores was a bit disappointing.

They are not as high in protein as many of the others but are aimed towards women so they have added calcium, folic acid, etc...

No I haven't but will check them out. Thanks :)
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    how are your baking skills?

http://www.proteinpow.com/
  • butterflyfairy2
    Options

Mmmmm Thin Mints. :love:
  • JLD81
    Options
    I have found some that were high in protein, low in sugar, and tasted better than a snickers bar or cookie any day.

Can you tell me the brand name of the one you describe please and are you in the UK?

I'm in the US not UK. You might be able to find them there but not sure. I LOVE the Luna bars for women. They are around 9g protein, 70% organic, and most flavors are amazing.

I also like the original Clif bars (apparently made by the same company as the Luna bars). When I pulled my first Clif bar out of the wrapper when I was on my way to a ballet class, it had some proving itself to do. I pulled it out of the wrapper and it resembled something that we would have made as a kid with a brownie pan in a mud puddle. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it didn't taste like it looked (thank goodness!!!!). I also tried my first Clif Builder's bar this morning (20g of protein and slightly higher calories) and it was pretty tasty as well.

http://www.clifbar.com/

The Perfectly Simple Zone bar I tried was simply, Blah. It wasn't bad nor really good.

I also LOVE the KIND bars. They are not really protein bars, but are fruit and nut bars with added vitamins. My boss laughs at them at work and tells people that I usually don't go to lunch because I have my "bird seed sticks".
  • JLD81
    Options

Mmmmm Thin Mints. :love:

I haven't tried this one, but will have to now. I can't eat these very often because they have whey protein in addition to the soy protein(allergic) , but next time I have one I will try that kind.
  • hayleymc3
    hayleymc3 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm a protein bar junkie, though when I have the yummy kind it's when I need a meal replacement. That doesn't happen too often, but when it does I turn to Supreme Protein peanut butter chocolate or caramel nut chocolate. They are ridiculous and I probably enjoy them way too much. I also like Zone Perfect, Luna bars, and I pick up random brands when I want something different.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    cliff builders chocolate 20g
    quest bars
    luna chocolate protein (12g) ; chocolate peanut butter protein 12g
    Met Rx protein plus 30 g (but have lots of calories, I eat these at work when busy to replace meal)
  • butterflyfairy2
    Options

What a cool site, thanks for posting. I have it bookmarked. :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Cliff and Luna bars have way too much sugar relative to protein. I'll stick with Quest Nutrition natural bars as a snack and VPX Zero Impact bars if I want a meal replacement.
  • JLD81
    Options
    Cliff and Luna bars have way too much sugar relative to protein. I'll stick with Quest Nutrition natural bars as a snack and VPX Zero Impact bars if I want a meal replacement.

I can't eat these- I'm allergic :(
  • CassKatz
    CassKatz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Cliff Bars and Luna Bars. Especially the coconut ones mmmm. Cliff is vegan and most of Luna is too. If that matters.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Oh man, thank you for this! This looks endlessly helpful as I'm trying to up my protein these days.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options

Are you allergic to the protein in milk itself or sugar, lactose? If it's lactose, then bars with Milk Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Isolate have virtually no lactose in them.
  • JLD81
    Options

Are you allergic to the protein in milk itself or sugar, lactose? If it's lactose, then bars with Milk Protein Isolate and Whey Protein Isolate have virtually no lactose in them.

Unfortunately, I am actually allergic to the protein in milk. I wish it were just lactose intolerance, my options were be much broader and lactose intolerance is much easier to control. Milk produces seasonal allergy symptoms in me. Also allergic to eggs and peanuts (typical diet staples) and many other things. Luckily, unlike a friend of mine, I am NOT allergic to soy too. Thank god for small miracles.