Get a life?

Options
So.. the other day someone told me to get a life..

First of, what does that even mean? Get a life? If someone has no life, what does that mean? What qualifies as not having a life.. and then if this is true, how do I get one? What do I need to do to "have a life?"

Replies

• slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just as long as you are happy it doesn't matter if someone thinks you have a "life" or not. That's very rude. They are probably a miserable person and trying to take it out on you.
  • tkokel
    Options
    i seroiusly am curious about this and bout how i am supposed to get a life..
  • slenderizeme
    slenderizeme Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Just do what makes you happy
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Someone felt you need more diversity in your life. Don't take up being rude and thoughtless like that person. I've been told that too. However, I like the place i'm at in my life. That person should take up sky diving and take a flying leap.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    The only time I hear this or even say it, is when people are so wrapped up in my life that it consumes them. If someone has time to tell me how I should live, how I should do things all the time, how I need to raise my kids, and other things, they obviously have no life of their own. Another example is when people find the time to sit there and talk crap on me, seriously get a life! lol. Other then that, I don't know how else this could be taken.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Usually what they mean is that you are living your life in a way that is different than how they are living theirs and that makes them uncomfortable.

For example, people with kids might tell people without to "get a life" because they think you can't possibly have a complete life without kids (or because they miss the freedom they had before they had them). On the other hand, people with NO kids will tell people with them to "get a life" because they think that all they do is think about their kids.

Or, for a less serious example, people who like to watch football will tell people who like to play Dungeons and Dragons to "get a life" or people who like geeky things will tell people who like sports the same things.

Basically, when people are unhappy with themselves, feeling defensive about their life's choices or the situation in which they've found themselves, they will tell others to "get a life" in order to make themselves feel better.

Just do what makes you happy and don't worry about people who send empty trite comments your way.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    Get a life typically means you're too involved in someone elses or you simply don't have one of your own. Get hobbies, interests, friends
  • tkokel
    tkokel Posts: 8
    Options
    Get a life typically means you're too involved in someone elses or you simply don't have one of your own. Get hobbies, interests, friends

The thing is, I actually have a lot of friends, I socialize on the weekends, as far as hobbies i have a cpl, and I go to the gym everyday so that is kinda like a hobby.. And no I dont try to butt in his life at all, but I guess he just thinks I am boring,, idk
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    'Get a life' is what people say if you spend your time doing things they think are pointless or unfulfilling. It's either said as an insult or a joke. People have said it to me in the past, because I have interests that others find odd. I pay no attention because my interests make me happy and fulfilled. It's not supposed to be taken literally.