Anyone else using Adipex and Topamax?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion so fast, the doctor wouldn't have had time to write out the prescription.

There are far too many weight loss tools in the world to make me overlook that list of nasty side effects.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I took topamax for a while as a appetite suppressant to counteract another drug that gave me a crazy appetite...I started losing alot of hair. The pharmacist told me it was the topamax so I quit it. It was a powerful suppressant though...
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Topomax for migraines and I would never touch it again. I had severe pins & needles feeling all over. I felt lightheaded. I chose to have migraines instead of continuing the Topomax. That's saying a lot!!
  • emih29
    emih29 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been prescribed Topamax for Migraines. It has cut them to me having them only twice a week now.

Me too. Im on 200mg

I usually laugh at people when they say ohh topomax helps you loose weight. For some people yes, but for me it didn't but thats not why I take it. I gained 15 lbs while on it. I lost it thankfully but I have gained and lost while on the drug.
  • nsautter
    Options
    I hear alot about the side effects of the topramax by itself, but I wonder if when combined with adipex that the side effects arent as common. Sometimes when drugs are combined they counter each others side effects. Something to investigate. Always perk up when I hear of something to help aid weight loss because I always struggle on my own.Fresh from coming off the insane 500 calorie HCG diet. Lost 25 lbs but I just cant take it anymore. Back to the oldfashioned way of cal counting here instead. Much happier : ) If this drug is generally safe I may try it. Having high blood pressure, risking diabetes, heart disease etc. is far worse than a few possible side effects. Its definately a personal choice. Just have to weigh the benefits vs risks.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Whoa... loss of motor control, loss of memory, unable to speak properly?

This sounds like some seriously scary stuff.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Topiramate here ...generic..yep one side effect can be weigh loss it is an anti seizure / anti migraine med...it has many other side effects that can happen just like MANY other meds....I take it daily...and have weight loss one of the reasons I am on it IS for the side effect ..long story not going to post here but if anyone is interested feel free to inbox me....it works for me....I think for everyone you would have to take the indiviual and know what was their issue prior to taking it and what is happening now while on it...for me it is a lifesaver.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I chose migraines over Topamax because I felt that awful on it.
  • breasonable
    breasonable Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I hear alot about the side effects of the topramax by itself, but I wonder if when combined with adipex that the side effects arent as common. Sometimes when drugs are combined they counter each others side effects. Something to investigate. Always perk up when I hear of something to help aid weight loss because I always struggle on my own.Fresh from coming off the insane 500 calorie HCG diet. Lost 25 lbs but I just cant take it anymore. Back to the oldfashioned way of cal counting here instead. Much happier : ) If this drug is generally safe I may try it. Having high blood pressure, risking diabetes, heart disease etc. is far worse than a few possible side effects. Its definately a personal choice. Just have to weigh the benefits vs risks.
  • breasonable
    Options
    My Dr says that Adipex and Topamax are what the new diet drug that just came out is. Qysymia. But it is not available all over yet. I think it's funny on here how you ask I simple question if anyone else is taking stuff and people come out of the woodwork claiming to know more then my Doctor. Then I have people inboxing me stating they are on the drugs but would never post it on here because of being attack by all of you.. How sad that all of you sit there and judge people on your high horses. I did ask for your advise I asked if anyone else was in my boat!
  • rhondaoberling
    Options
    I take topamax for neuropathy of my feet and legs and have not had any side effects that anyone has mentioned here, not even weight loss. It has made my legs and feet feel 100% better though!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My Dr says that Adipex and Topamax are what the new diet drug that just came out is. Qysymia. But it is not available all over yet. I think it's funny on here how you ask I simple question if anyone else is taking stuff and people come out of the woodwork claiming to know more then my Doctor. Then I have people inboxing me stating they are on the drugs but would never post it on here because of being attack by all of you.. How sad that all of you sit there and judge people on your high horses. I did ask for your advise I asked if anyone else was in my boat!

Talking about their concern for the side effects is not the same as "claiming to know more than your doctor" or "judging" you.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Be wary of doctors who write off label prescriptions...

The drug has only been demonstrated safe and effective for controlling seizures. The thing to keep in mind is that the FDA looks at benefits vs. risks when approving pharmaceuticals. So, the relative risk of a drug with serious side effects may be low if it is going to prevent a serious, acute medical problem (like stroke, heart attack, seizure, etc). The same side effects could have much higher relative risk if the drug is treating a less severe problem (acne, rash, etc).

a side effect is a side effect. It wont be any more or less unless the dosage is higher or lower. This statement is absurd.

I think what this person was trying to say is that the particular risks of a drug are weighed against the condition it treats. For example, some cancer treatments cause horrific side effects, and can even kill people, but if they are used to treat a condition that is likely to kill the patient anyway (e.g. an aggressive form of cancer) then the side effects and other risks may be considered worth it. On the other hand, if a drug to treat common cold symptoms had the same side effects, it wouldn't be approved or used, because the risks would outweigh the benefits.

All of that said, I think that the OP's physician (or a physician who has examined the OP to give a second opinion) is in a far better position to discuss with her the risks and benefits of this medication.
  • breasonable
    Options

Talking about their concern for the side effects is not the same as "claiming to know more than your doctor" or "judging" you.

I think you need to go back and read some of the statements then....
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny on here how you ask I simple question if anyone else is taking stuff and people come out of the woodwork claiming to know more then my Doctor.

Funny that I haven't seen a single post claiming that anyone knows more than your doctor.
    How sad that all of you sit there and judge people on your high horses.

I shared my experience because of things that I was NOT told by my doctor, who prescribed me Topamax. I submit to you that others likely did the same. Maybe you're the judgmental one, thinking we are on our "high horses" when a lot of people gave advice out of concern for you.

No one ever said you had to follow the advice stated on this forum - people were simply sharing their experiences & opinions - the point of a public forum. Take it as what it is - food for thought.
  • breasonable
    Options
    Be wary of doctors who write off label prescriptions...

The drug has only been demonstrated safe and effective for controlling seizures. The thing to keep in mind is that the FDA looks at benefits vs. risks when approving pharmaceuticals. So, the relative risk of a drug with serious side effects may be low if it is going to prevent a serious, acute medical problem (like stroke, heart attack, seizure, etc). The same side effects could have much higher relative risk if the drug is treating a less severe problem (acne, rash, etc).

a side effect is a side effect. It wont be any more or less unless the dosage is higher or lower. This statement is absurd.

I think what this person was trying to say is that the particular risks of a drug are weighed against the condition it treats. For example, some cancer treatments cause horrific side effects, and can even kill people, but if they are used to treat a condition that is likely to kill the patient anyway (e.g. an aggressive form of cancer) then the side effects and other risks may be considered worth it. On the other hand, if a drug to treat common cold symptoms had the same side effects, it wouldn't be approved or used, because the risks would outweigh the benefits.

All of that said, I think that the OP's physician (or a physician who has examined the OP to give a second opinion) is in a far better position to discuss with her the risks and benefits of this medication.
    [/quote

I understand what you are saying but she is saying is that I went to some quack that writes off label drugs and not my regular Dr that I have seen for 20 years and thats has dealt with all my medical conditions.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I was on Topamax for migriainnes- the numb face'hands and messed up vision (and NO Migraine reief) was too much for me and I stopped after a week.....
    The messed up vision scared me as 'gluacoma' is a side effect.
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Honestly by your picture I am not quite sure why you need medication for your weight loss. I have had several doctors insist that I change my eating habits and lifestyle. Not one of them has offered any type of medication and I have well over a 100lbs to lose. I hope that whatever issues that you are having that require you to go the medication route are better soon. It sounds like there are several serious side effects from this medication. Good Luck
  • breasonable
    Options
    I think it's funny on here how you ask I simple question if anyone else is taking stuff and people come out of the woodwork claiming to know more then my Doctor.

Funny that I haven't seen a single post claiming that anyone knows more than your doctor.
    How sad that all of you sit there and judge people on your high horses.

I shared my experience because of things that I was NOT told by my doctor, who prescribed me Topamax. I submit to you that others likely did the same. Maybe you're the judgmental one, thinking we are on our "high horses" when a lot of people gave advice out of concern for you.

No one ever said you had to follow the advice stated on this forum - people were simply sharing their experiences & opinions - the point of a public forum. Take it as what it is - food for thought.

Thank you very much for your feedback. I wasn't trying to be snappy... I guess the lady quoting the listing for the drug usages and dosage irritated me .. I was just looking for other people traveling down the same road as me!!!
  • futurestarz
    Options
    I took topamax a few years ago after a head injury which resulted in seizures. I ended up losing about 50 lb in 6 months. Losing the weight was great, however I constantly felt lethargic, I was sleeping up to 18 hours a day, and i had tingling in my face and hands. The side effects of topamax were INTENSE. I hope you don't end up experiencing these same symptoms.