butternut squash - Need simple recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I made a side dish last year for thanksgiving that had chopped squash, baby spinach, onion and a little bit of chopped bacon...sauteed. It was very good, I don't have the calorie count, the bacon probably makes it higher but I did not use that much of it. Yum.
  • Juliann4k9
    Juliann4k9 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My SIL makes a dish with it using parmesan, garlic, salt pepper and olive oil. She just tosses the squash with the oil, garlic salt and pepper and roasts until it starts to soften then puts it in the serving dish and tosses with shredded fresh parmesan cheese. Its on the table at all of our holiday gatherings since she introduced it. Its so yummy.
    ANd one of mine..Boil quinoa and add squash cubes and dried cranberries, about 5 minutes before the quinoa is done, season with curry or garam masala, add chopped kale at last minute. Totally easy and yummy you could also toss the squash and cranberries into boiling water or broth with whole grain couscous and the same seasoning if quinoa isn't something you like.
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stepheatscake
    stepheatscake Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Make soup!!! So good.

Boil a squash, a few potatoes in water (just so the water is covering the veggies , you don't want it to be too watery). Add chicken stock. YOu can add in sweet potatoes and carrots too... once it's boiled puree it... add salt, currey, a dash of milk or cream and other spices you might like. SO good.
  • Perixi
    Perixi Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Also boiling and then mashing with a spoon of wholegrain mustard is nice.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Cube it and toss with a little brown sugar and butter or olive oil. Bake at 400 until soft and glistening! So yum!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Take cube. Wrap in wonton wrapper. Boil in water like ravioli.
    Love this idea! Do you use anything as a sauce or eat them plain?

I use a cream sauce (be sparing!) or put on a touch of olive oil and garlic or tomato sauce. They really are like ravioli.

You can seal them best with cornstarch and water. You can use this same technique for shrimp, scallops, ground chicken, whatever.