Consistently Low Calories

Options
ok...so the BMR says I should have 1330 cals per day.

For about 4-5 days now I have been under 1000 cals per day and felt full and fine, although when its time for a meal or a snack it's TIME!

I guess what I am asking is this:

1. If my BMR is 1330 cals...should I be deducting 500 cals per day to lose one pound per week?

2. Is 800-900 calories just too low even though one feels satiated?

(I have a sweet friend who is freaking out over this, is she right?)

Replies

• DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options

For about 4-5 days now I have been under 1000 cals per day and felt full and fine, although when its time for a meal or a snack it's TIME!

1. If my BMR is 1330 cals...should I be deducting 500 cals per day to lose one pound per week?

• DaniUSA
    DaniUSA Posts: 74
    Options
    800-900 kcal seems toooooooooooooo less to me...

Is the BMR this one, what you need if you stay all the day in bed?

Then you need more food I think.. I dont think that I can get all of my stuff I need Vitsmins, fiber etc. and stay everyday on 800-900..

I looked it up

Our BMR calculator will calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you stayed in bed all day — --->>>>>>>>>>>>> basically, how many calories you burn just to stay alive. -<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<----

So, you neeed these kcal to "STAY ALIVE" ... you should not eat less..you body burns more kcal than these about 1300.. so you will loose weight if you eat 1200
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I used to go down to 800 per day just to lose two lbs, a week. I am currently at 960 to lose two lbs. per week , which is not unreasonable. I do eat some of the calories I burn. I also take added calcium, multivitamen,and try to eat as much of my food groups as I can. I.m 5"1 inches tall,and have 68 lbs. To lose. I also excercise about 60 min. per day. I feel good as well. I do plan to eventually eat 1350 cal. per day. I'm building muscle strength training. For now I feel great. I think size,and a lot of factors play into this. A young person my height should weigh 110. Thats would require a few more calories Than 1000 per day. Its not for everyone, but do eat what you burn extra. Good luck Thats my two cents worth.
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    HI there!

There is a very useful and eye-opening post here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions

Good luck!
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options

Your BMR is different from your maintenance calories. Your BMR is what your body needs to run itself if you just stayed in bed all day. By going below your BMR you may seriously damage your body and will eventually stop your weight loss as your body goes into starvation mode to protect itself.

You should eat 500 less than your MAINTENANCE calories to lose 1lb a week.

I really like the calorie calculator on the site below because it gives your maintenance calories and the healthy range for losing weight.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/2005/12/26/how_to_calculate_your_daily_calorie_needs.php

One of the reasons you may not be feeling hungry with your calories so low is that your body is working to conserve it's energy.

I would strongly enoucrage you to read this post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

and I would read the post that wewereundone listed. It has some great info.

Good luck!
    Jess
  • rem1979
    rem1979 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just enter all your info into GOALS and the site will tell you what you need to lose weight. It determines it based on your BMR plus your daily activity and then substracts the amount of calories based on what weight loss goal you chose (2lb/wk, 1lb/week etc)

It's that easy!!! You don't have to do the math, the site does.
  • jessneill
    jessneill Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just enter all your info into GOALS and the site will tell you what you need to lose weight. It determines it based on your BMR plus your daily activity and then substracts the amount of calories based on what weight loss goal you chose (2lb/wk, 1lb/week etc)

It's that easy!!! You don't have to do the math, the site does.

For myself I found that the calorie goals this site caclulated were actually too low. It suggested that for a 2lb loss a week I eat 1200 calories. After about a week of doing that I started feeling my energy lagging when I was at the gym.

I did some research on other sites and after reading posts on here about not eating below your BMR I was able to figure out my daily calorie needs.

Even though my BMR is 1664 this site said I should eat below that. I know many people on this site would agree that you should not eat below your BMR.

I looked at my calorie needs two ways. I calculated my current maintenance calorie needs and then subtracted 1000 calories a day from that. Then I checked it against my BMR to make sure I wasn't below that. Now I eat 1700 caloris a day and I'm losing 1 -2 lbs a week. I always eat 1700 no matter how much I burn during a workout. Unless it's my heavy day at the gym and my going out night which is usually Saturday. Then I usually burn about 300 calories more in my workout.

I think it is different for everyone but I definitly would not eat below your BMR.
  • DianneLynn
    DianneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your suggestions and comments.

I'm really confused at this point...it seemed when I ate 900 cals per day I lost...when I bump it up to 1200 (which is still below what my BMR is) I gain.

I guess its time to experiment and this week I will target 1200 cals and see what happens @ next week's WI.

I did, however, manage to lose 1 lb. this week...YAY for me.:drinker:
  • eastland01
    eastland01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    to respond to that..im not sure exactly for you how many carbs your supposed to have..but u can kinda figure it out from this
    but im supposed to eat..1200 calories per day and apparently im supposed to have
    165 g carbs
    40g fat
    45g protein...

but remember good foods are carbs too..like fruits and veggies..