Losing Weight with high blood pressure...

Options
Is it harder to lose weight if you are on certain medications?

Right now I am on Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide for my HBP - is anyone else?

Replies

• cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    It may just be a coincidence, but since I've started taking medicine for my high blood pressure, my weight loss has slowed way down to almost a stand still. I went from seeing a consisten weight loss every week for 7 months, two only losing 2 pounds in the whole month of September. Now it could just be that after losing weight for so long my body needs some time to catch up, and I am now within 20 pounds of my healthy weight range, so it just may be that weight loss is going to be slow now. I don't know!
  • SopranogirlCa
    SopranogirlCa Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am on hb meds, have been for years (very low dosage) and I am losing steady. Not sure what will happen long term.... Fingers crossed
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It made it hard for my husband but he is doing it.
  • bfgalvan
    bfgalvan Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I found it difficult to loose weight while on HBP meds which is just the opposite of what needed to happen! I did find that the more I worked out the lower my BP was and I was able to get off the meds just by diet and exercise. Once I was off the meds I started back loosing weight and have kept my BP down.

Good luck! Keep at it!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    According to my doc, it doesn't... I'm on the same one....
  • swthrtsmrf
    Options
    I was on the Hydrochlorothiazide too. My doctor took me off of it hough. You are the same age I am and apparently someone our age should not be on that particular one. Ask your doctor more in length about the safety of you being on it. But because my doc says no to that does not mean your doc would agree. And each of us are different. Just becareful.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Is it harder to lose weight if you are on certain medications?

Right now I am on Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide for my HBP - is anyone else?

I was on the same meds (both) when I started (august 8, 2012). I went to the doctor 2 weeks ago and had lost around 17lbs by then (in about a month), so he took me off the hydrochlorothiazide. Since then, I've lost an additional 8lbs.

So... I don't think the meds slowed me down.
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    good work!!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I am on atenolol and losartan for my hypertension, and have been losing weight steadily for 6 months now.