Steam Room?

Options
Well, I was sitting in the steam room today after my workout, and I was really just wondering...what does it do? I mean it obviously makes you sweat, but does it actually burn any calories sitting there or am i making myself suffer for 10 minutes by sitting in those germ infested rooms?:sick:

Replies

• wiesk1
    wiesk1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Well, I was sitting in the steam room today after my workout, and I was really just wondering...what does it do? I mean it obviously makes you sweat, but does it actually burn any calories sitting there or am i making myself suffer for 10 minutes by sitting in those germ infested rooms?:sick:
  • kimd983
    kimd983 Posts: 39
    Options
    HAHAHAHAH

I beleive its for soothing your muscles so that soreness doens't set in??????????

I hate steam. i always feel like I am choking!

now the heat ones aren't all that terrible but I just stay clear, and drink lots of water afterwards! haha:laugh:
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm laughing. I love the sauna. It always felt like a fitting punishment to end my work out.HA! they are great for your skin and cleans those pores. I imagine they have other health benefits too. Just relaxe, feel all warm,and smarmy. Its a good down time for relaxation.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    It actually slightly increases the metabolism, so it does burn a small amount of calories. But not a ton, it also makes you sweat a lot, which can expell some of the toxins in your body, again, not a ton but some. Someone asked once before if sauna is a good way to loose weight, so I looked it up. It's not really a great way to loose weight, it's good for about 10 to 15 minutes, but for an hour? I read a bunch of medical docs on it and all advised against staying in longer then 15 minutes or so.