Do you need to add extra cardio to P90X?

Options
....do I need to add any cardio (HIIT/interval) to this workout routine? Or should I just do the program as outlined? I really want to drop my body fat percentage.

I just completed Chalean Extreme and it is on the low side of cardio. I felt that I needed to add cardio to that routine.

Thanks.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No. It's an all inclusive program. There are 3 levels you can use, and one of them has extra cardio if it's something you really want to do
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I honestly think this depends of how much you can lift. I didn't get great results with P90x because I can't lift a whole lot. I now wish I had added cardio (or done an entirely different program). But who knows maybe it really did do a lot for me on the inside (all that fat around my organs and in my muscles). P90x definitely set me up to eventually lose weight (after a year of working out). I still think I would have had better results doing more cardio than weights. Weights are important but I'm focussing more on cardio now and it's working.

ETA: the P90x cardio is not really difficult cardio comparatively.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    there is also P90X+
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    They key to your results will be your nutrition - that's 70% of your results right there. Be meticulous and give the program 100% :) You do not need additional cardio but if you're a cardio junkie then go for it!
  • Matthew72588
    Options
    between plyo and kenpo, you do get a good amount of cardio...p90x is about a total body conditioning program, so if you want just cardio strength, it wouldnt be for ou...but adding a 20 minute run on resistance days certaintly would not hurt!
  • sugarplumfairy72
    sugarplumfairy72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    After Chalean
    Tony's cardio is a big let down. Do a hybrid of both to supplement your cardio addiction!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    between plyo and kenpo, you do get a good amount of cardio...p90x is about a total body conditioning program, so if you want just cardio strength, it wouldnt be for ou...but adding a 20 minute run on resistance days certaintly would not hurt!

I like the idea of adding 20 minutes here and there --- I do enjoy the 20-30 minute HIIT programs or jumping on the treadmill for a walk/run routine. I'm not a "cardio junkie" and don't really enjoy the 45-60+ minute cardio routines (and I REALLY don't enjoy running beyond 30 minutes worth). I have forced myself to do these types in the past and they have usually been short lived. I forced myself because my brain has been trained that cardio is the "only way" to lose weight.

Weight training and eating more than 1200 calories is new to me!
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    This is just my p[ersonal opinion.

I felt the Cardio X and Kenpo routines were a bit mild compared to turbofire or other cardio workouts.

I feel that is is up to you, try the routine as is for a few weeks, and if you don't feel you're getting enough burn for your buck, then pop in a more intense cardio or go out running.
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and time. I'm on day 50 right now, and I feel the program is pretty complete. That being said, I still have a goodly amount of weight to lose and I plan to start a triathlon program after P90x. I have been adding cardio to the program, but usually on off days. For example, when you're doing upper body routines, like chest and shoulders, it's probably fine to add to it if you have the time.

This week is a recovery week for me, so on the two Yoga X days I plan to hit a spin class (cycling is my strong point, so it's almost a reward).

It also depends on how hard you are hitting it. Plyo days is always a single day for me. I enjoy Kenpo, but I don't think I am getting enough out of it, so that is a day I might work in a double.

I am also using P90x to shatter a plateau I was in for about three months (due in no small part to my own slacking), so I am probably driving harder now than is sustainable in the long-term, but right now I feel great.

So to quote Tony misquoting Groucho, "Do what you feel" and "Bring it."