1550 cals- Too High For Breastfeeder?

Options
Hi there, I was just wondering if 1550 would be too high a calorie intake for me to lose weight?

I am aiming for a weight loss of 8kg and am breastfeeding my son five to eight times a day, he is six months old and has just started three solid meals a day.

I have an active lifestyle with four under four and I do bwtween 30- 60 mintues on a cross trainer per day depending on how much sleep I've had, and I do toning exercise too.

Thanks!

Also I don't eat back my calories.

:)

Replies

• BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Breast feeding by itself generally makes people lose weight.

What did MFP set up your calories as? Whatever it is, I'd manually adjust it up by 300-500. At six months, probably closer to the 500 mark. Ask your doctor if you're not sure.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Kellymom is an excellent resource for breastfeeding moms, and she has some articles on weight loss while breastfeeding.
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

1550 calories is on the low end of your caloric needs. If you restrict your calories too much, your milk supply may decrease.

For weight loss in general, this thread has some valuable information on figuring how many calories you actually need:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Good luck!
  • cthready
    cthready Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    hanks Bushido, that was extremely helpful! I'll stick to 1550 with no eating back exercise cals and see how that goes. :)
  • cthready
    cthready Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    elinda Duvesss- what is the MFP? x
  • mrs_deg1983
    Options
    Mfp is my fitness pal
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    elinda Duvesss- what is the MFP? x

MFP = myfitnesspal. ie, how did the program set you up or did you come up with that number on your own.

Also, I don't agree with not eating back exercise calories, at least while beast feeding. You can try it, but I think it'll end up hurting your supply. The site isn't very specific on whether that is net calories or just that you should go below 1500 period. Regardless, if you think your supply is suffering, don't hesitate to up your calories. You'll still lose weight, I promise.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I agree with Belinda and would also encourage eating back exercise calories!
    Exercise makes me hungry, breastfeeding makes me hungry...if I am hungry all the time (or lethargic or irritable because I'm not getting enough nutrition), no way would I be able to stick with it long term. :tongue:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    hanks Bushido, that was extremely helpful! I'll stick to 1550 with no eating back exercise cals and see how that goes. :)

i NET around 1500 cals (which means i eat back most of my exercise calories) and i am losing a pound a week - thats without breastfeeding, so i would say you should be adding EXTRA on for that... try 1800 -2000 if you wont eat back exercise cals... if you are eating too little you wont stay healthy for your children.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you're breastfeeding you should probably eat more, since you need some additional nutrition :smile:
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I know on the 12wbt, Michelle Bridges also doesn't recommend eating back exercise calories.

however for Mum's breastfeeding babies 6months and over her recommendation for calories is higher as well!

So 4 or more feeds a day she recommends 1700 cals
  • Imanido
    Imanido Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding and I am taking around 1700 calories a day. I lost nearly 6 kilos in one go the first month doing cardio, the next two months I started doing weights and I dropped 1kg more however I went down 2 clothes sizes (that means that fat was replaced by muscle which weights more). I am quite flexible, if I feel hungry at the end of the day I eat, I try to eat as clean as I can and nutrient rich food, but I am very wary of going for a number set up for you and stick to it if your body is going to end up being the looser. The task of breastfeeding is far more important than loosing weight (unless your weight means a serious health issue) and for milk supply you need fat if that is important to you you shouldn't mess around with it.

In theory you should add around 500 calories more to whatever your calorie range is and I think you should be fine. I haven't had any problem although I will be really interested to hear the point of view from other breastfeeding mums here.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    1550 is verging on the low end of what you should be eating if BF.

You should see what MFP sets for you and add 300-500 extra calories a day and also eat back most of your exercise calories.

Contrary to popular belief your milk wouldn't be affected unless you were actually starving as babies are parasites and take what they need from you but if you don't eat properly your body will start to break down muscle, bones etc to make sure your milk is good so you will end up suffering.

I know it seems a lot of calories but honestly you will lose. I know, I've done it a couple of times.