Excuses, excuses. What's yours?

Options
Everyone has an excuse to why they put on weight, why their not losing any, stuff like that. But the thing is, each of these excuses can be avoided. Look at Gwyneth Paltrow - she's 40 with two kids and she has a rocking hot body! Pregnancy, work, laziness, those all could have been her excuse but she let them pass and kept her head in the game. If only we had such a state of mind.

My excuse? School - I need the energy to stay awake. And I need to fulfil my constant hunger so that I can concentrate on my work. This is complete baloney. I still end up falling asleep in classes that bore me and daydream when I'm not interested in the subject.

So what's your excuse?

Replies

• SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I have a few: naturally slow metabolism, poor sleeping habits, and medication side effects. But you're right, they are are all excuses. Once I joined MFP and realized how much more calories I was intaking versus outputting and made a serious effort to correct the probelm, I started shedding weight.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    In all fairness... let's not forget she has personal trainers, chefs, blah blah all at her disposal. And it's her job to have that body.

As for myself, I have no excuse. I was lazy. But I rectified the situation and now I think I look damn good. Not even "just for a mom".,
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    My excuse: potato chips are delicious.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    In all fairness... let's not forget she has personal trainers, chefs, blah blah all at her disposal. And it's her job to have that body.

As for myself, I have no excuse. I was lazy. But I rectified the situation and now I think I look damn good. Not even "just for a mom".,

^^ this is true! someone like her is definitely not someone realistic to model yourself after. i don't like her in general, she seems to be a snob. one time she made some disparaging remark about working mothers so she proved to me that she's out of touch with reality. something about how everyone should be SAHM because it's the best thing for your kid. she doesn't realize some of us need to work or maybe some of us enjoy our jobs, are the breadwinners, find both motherhood and work full filling... i found it rude... she did get a lot of heat for it too. anyway, i know both working and stay at home moms who look great! the key is making time for a workout almost every day and eating right. we can all do this!
  • oregonzoo
    Options

^^ this is true! someone like her is definitely not someone realistic to model yourself after. i don't like her in general, she seems to be a snob. one time she made some disparaging remark about working mothers so she proved to me that she's out of touch with reality. something about how everyone should be SAHM because it's the best thing for your kid. she doesn't realize some of us need to work... i found it rude... she did get a lot of heat for it too. anyway, i know both working and stay at home moms who look great! the key is making time for a workout almost every day and eating right. we can all do this!
    It makes me nuts when the trash mags print stories about some woman who had a child and lost like 50 lbs in a month. It's their job, and NO it's honestly not a reasonable or fair standard for normal women to hold themselves to. Not with all the extra resources those people have that the average woman does not.
  • Cassie8877
    Options
    Im big thing right now is trying to catch myself making excuses on why not to work out.. Then i tell myself HEY THATS JUST ANOTHER EXCUSE.. and ill 98% of the time kick myself in the *kitten* and get up and work out! instead of sitting around debting with yourself on why you shouldnt work out.. just get up and do it already your just wasting time..

but i find when i do make those stupid excuses is because i am being plain out lazy (not a good excuse)
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    my excuses when I eat some crap:

:laugh: "Le gras c'est la vie" ("fat is life")
    :smile: "I'll start tomorrow"
    :grumble: "Yeah but you see, I haven't had breakfast this morning..."
    :angry: "Come on, just this time"
    :explode: "I'm big-boned, I need more energy than others"

hmmm writing them helps a lot; I find myself stupid :happy:
  • mylove0mylife
    Options
    My excuses are that I'm lazy, that I work 40 - 50 hours a week, that I'm in school full time, so if I'm not working and not doing homework I'm tired, and my biggest one was it's too late now, why do anything about it?

I know those are horrible, but I'm tired of being the "fat' girl, I'm tired of being out of breath by time I get up one flight of stairs. I'm tired of being almost twice the size of my husband, I'm tired of having to shift my position in pictures so you can't see how big I am, I'm tired of taking pictures of only my face because that's the "pretty'' part.

Most of all I'm tired of making excuses.
  • mylove0mylife
    Options

Cheetos for me!
  • samigirl1975
    samigirl1975 Posts: 62 Member
    Options

My thoughts exactly ;)
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    My excuse is i feel lost when it comes to working out
  • annduong
    Options
  • annduong
    Options

^^ this is true! someone like her is definitely not someone realistic to model yourself after. i don't like her in general, she seems to be a snob. one time she made some disparaging remark about working mothers so she proved to me that she's out of touch with reality. something about how everyone should be SAHM because it's the best thing for your kid. she doesn't realize some of us need to work... i found it rude... she did get a lot of heat for it too. anyway, i know both working and stay at home moms who look great! the key is making time for a workout almost every day and eating right. we can all do this!
    It makes me nuts when the trash mags print stories about some woman who had a child and lost like 50 lbs in a month. It's their job, and NO it's honestly not a reasonable or fair standard for normal women to hold themselves to. Not with all the extra resources those people have that the average woman does not.

Okay, true that she's rich and has easy access to a lot of things that can help her lose weight and stay fit. And I don't like her much either but she is a pretty good example. I mean, not all celebrities choose to be as fit as she does. Not all celebrities choose to have an amazing body like hers. For instance, Adele - she's happy with her body, she even prefers being fat than looking as skinny as Lady Gaga. Some people are like that. Other people, such as Lea Michele, start to become skinny and feel as though they need to look fantastic for the press and magazines, once they become famous. It's all up to individual choices.
    Yes, some movies require celebrities to put on weight, and some to shred, but at the end of the day - the weight you put on or off is entirely up to you.
  • annduong
    Options
    [/quote

I ate two bags on chips in one day. Like those really big packets. They are so irresistible! :love:
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Medications. Binge drinking....binge eating.
  • oregonzoo
    Options
    Seems to me you are way too worried about people who aren't yourself.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an excuse to why they put on weight, why their not losing any, stuff like that. But the thing is, each of these excuses can be avoided. Look at Gwyneth Paltrow - she's 40 with two kids and she has a rocking hot body! Pregnancy, work, laziness, those all could have been her excuse but she let them pass and kept her head in the game. If only we had such a state of mind.

My excuse? School - I need the energy to stay awake. And I need to fulfil my constant hunger so that I can concentrate on my work. This is complete baloney. I still end up falling asleep in classes that bore me and daydream when I'm not interested in the subject.

So what's your excuse?

None. I dropped them all a long time ago.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I'm Tired!
    I'm too busy taking care of the Kids!
    I'm away from the little one all day, I dont want to take the time away from her at night too.
    I'm Too Busy, period!
    I Love Food! It tastes too good to limit it! I dont want it to go to waste!
    I dont have the $$ for the gym and i get bored walking all the time!
    It is just cheaper to by the processed, packaged meals then real ones!

And, I can be straight up LAZY!!! So, between that and my LOVE for Good Tasting Food, it just added up! I AM A FOODIE!!! :-)

NO MORE EXCUSES tho because that is JUST what they are, excuses, not REASONS!! So, I am looking ahead at the reasons I need to be and get healthy now. AND, I realize that I can work around every single one of my EXCUSES!

And yes, a celebrity isnt someone that we can compare to...especially Gwyneth! While I agree it is still a personal choice to be thin or not, they are pressured more and have more of the resources without the "excuses" that we find ourselves having, ESPECIALLY the time or $$ ones!!
  • annduong
    Options

So what's your excuse?

None. I dropped them all a long time ago.

Good for you! That's truly inspiring.
  • annduong
    Options
    I'm Tired!
    I'm too busy taking care of the Kids!
    I'm away from the little one all day, I dont want to take the time away from her at night too.
    I'm Too Busy, period!
    I Love Food! It tastes too good to limit it! I dont want it to go to waste!
    I dont have the $$ for the gym and i get bored walking all the time!
    It is just cheaper to by the processed, packaged meals then real ones!

And, I can be straight up LAZY!!! So, between that and my LOVE for Good Tasting Food, it just added up! I AM A FOODIE!!! :-)

NO MORE EXCUSES tho because that is JUST what they are, excuses, not REASONS!! So, I am looking ahead at the reasons I need to be and get healthy now. AND, I realize that I can work around every single one of my EXCUSES!

And yes, a celebrity isnt someone that we can compare to...especially Gwyneth! While I agree it is still a personal choice to be thin or not, they are pressured more and have more of the resources without the "excuses" that we find ourselves having, ESPECIALLY the time or $$ ones!!

Your answer is one that I can truly relate to. Being my age, I don't have kids, and I'm still in school so I don't have a job. But I am a foodie. And it definitely is easier to just eat takeout day in and day out, because somehow, their frozen food dumped in oil manage to taste divine. And that's why I've put on so much weight.
    And you are totally right: we come up with excuses and pass them as reasons which is why a lot of us have gained a lot of weight. Other people might actually have legitimate reasons that prevent them from having a fit body but I've seen fit quadriplegics so if they can do it, then we definitely can.