Question about walking/running for a beginner

Options
Hi, I'm new on this site and I just have a few questions that maybe someone could answer for me.

I really want to get into the habit of walking, and then hopefully working my way up to running every day. I'm currently in between cars, so I have been pushing my son around in his stroller pretty much every where I need to go. My son is around 30lbs and I have a full size Evenflo stroller that I estimate to weigh around 10lbs at least. I walk pushing my son in the stroller anywhere from 1 to 6 miles a day, but not every day. Some days I might walk 3 miles a day for a week straight and then only walk 1 mile 1 day out of the next week.

My question is what would be a good daily mile goal for me to start out with?

I'm 22 almost 23 years old, and about 30lbs or so over weight. I'm other wise healthy, but I am a light smoker.

Given all of those things I am just curious what anyone would recommend as a daily or even weekly mileage goal. Also if anyone has any tips on how to gradually go from walking every day to running, that would be appreciated too.

Thank You =]

Replies

• Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Here's a link to the couch-to-5k plan. I suppose if you wanted to start off slower you could always modify the plan for a pace you're more comfortable with.

Good Luck

oops, forgot the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • ATXrunner
    Options
    Hi Mandee87,

Congrats on deciding to give running a try! Some years ago, I made the transition from walking to running and it really isn't as hard as you might think. One of my favorite resources is the RunnersWorld.com site - it has special sections for beginners and women, too. Below is their link to the "8 Week Beginners Program". Remember, listen to your body: if it feels like you are running (or walking) too much, then cut back. Otherwise, I think trying to get out for a walk at least 3 days a week is a good starting point.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-386-9397-0,00.html

Good luck!
    Kristi
  • johnmcfarm
    Options
    Hi Mandee87,

What concerns me is that you have trouble with your knees. Walking will probably be fine...but I am not so sure about running...at least right now. I would suggest that you begin a steady walking program, perhaps a 1.5 to 2.0 miles per day. What you really want to look for is being aerobic for at least 30 minutes. And, judge how hard you are working by your respiration (breathing). You should work hard enough to where you can talk with someone, but it is a little bit difficult because you are breathing hard. If, your knees bother you with walking...go to a doctor! Preferably, a sports medicine doc and find out what is going on with your knees.

As a former smoker for 32 years who now has to deal with COPD (lung disease) I would very very strongly suggest that you give them up. Besides, they are also affecting your baby as well... I found after dozens of attempts, what worked for me was to go cold turkey and deal with it. During my first couple weeks I drank a LOT of water, exercised several times per day and took several showers. Those seemed to reduce the withdrawals...

Good luck!
  • klmereness6
    Options
    Thanks for the websites/motivation - just what I needed.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I knew someone that moved away from Home and got a job and had to start walking each day to work becuase he had no car. It was a 2 mile trip to work and a 2 mile trip back home. In one years time he dropped like 30 pds just from this. So I decided to start walking on the treadmill 3miles a day and it worked too, I dropped like 30 pounds!

But about 6months later it quickly came back on. My life changed (I started dating someone) and I no longer made it to the gym as much and eventually I didn't go at all. And I was back to eating my same old way too.

Now Im happily married and my life has not gotten into a good routine, that I have managed to find some good time for myself, and decided to get a gym membership and get back on the treadmill again.

So best thing is try and fit it into your schedule where you are comfortable with it, and it can be walking in your neighborhood as you are doing, and make sure its not too time consuming and be consistent. Maybe 2 miles 5 days a week. And later on when you can you can slowly start adding running to that.
  • 34at35
    34at35 Posts: 318
    Options
    My suggestion is to start by walking until you start to feel tired and then turn around and head for home. Then add 1 minute to the time the next day before you turn around. And so on adding a minute a day until you no longer can afford to keep adding a minute. (Probably it'll be around an hour) That can be your daily time goal. Then try to pick up the pace a little so you have "free time" to add more distance in that hour. When you can't walk any faster, then try to run for a minute or so out of every 15 you walk. If you can do that, you'll regain some extra time and will have gone more distance. Then try to run 1 out of every 10, then 1 out of every 5, and so on.

You can keep doing this over and over until you feel that's as much as you can run or you are running the entire time.

Enjoy your travels! Your feet are your friends so take care of them in your journeys!

P.S. And as JohnMcF says, quit smoking now! Your child(ren) will thank you for it 30 years from now when you are not suffering from COPD, emphysema, smoker's cough, or worse!
  • Mandee87
    Mandee87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied =] You all gave me some really great ideas and tips that I am with out a doubt going to try. Oh and it is my goal this year to stop smoking too not only so that I can walk more and faster, but for obvious other reasons too. I'm down to 1 a day. I've become a crazy diet coke drinker now because I'm not really smoking anymore.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Around October 2008 I started walking my daughter (in her stroller) and my dog 1/2 mile every couple days. October 11, 2009 I walked my first 1/2 marathon. I was at 250 when I started those strolls and had lost 30 lbs by the time I walked the 1/2 marathon. I was doing Weight Watchers but the only exercise I was doing was walking. I agree that you start with where you are comfortable and then push yourself a little here and there. It could be "I want to drop 5 minutes off my time of this 1/2 mile walk" or "I want to walk 4 miles in 1 hour." I find goals very motivating. I was very excited today when I got back from my walk. It normally takes me 45 minutes to do but I really pushed myself and did it in 32 minutes.
    Best of luck and enjoy. I'm pretty sure that's how I've kept my sanity with a very cranky kid!