Cant get to 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I am currently getting over this too. I was eating too little and even though my body wasn't hungry, I knew I had to up my calories because the weight won't stay off forever if I only eat 1000-1200 calories a day. I started by adding calorie dense foods like everyone else, and I also started drinking protein shakes. I'm still only at 1400 right now and struggling for more, but it takes baby steps. Just add a 50-100 calories to each meal per day until you don't feel like you're stuffing your face all the time.
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i've seen this question before. can't get 1200 calories.....wow. how did you gain the weight? do some research too. learn what's good and what's not good. i have no problem eating 1200 and my exercise calories too. i eat a wide variety, some good, some bad. i didn't cut it all out. i make better moderate choices, exercise to cover the screw-ups.
  • Laoch_Cailin
    Laoch_Cailin Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Mm...how about eating some actual food? Instead of an apple with almond butter, try eggs, or oatmeal. For lunch, substitute a salad with some kind of lean meat, or even a wrap. Then, maybe cook lean meat and veg for dinner?

Just a thought.

Definately this. Maybe instead of just an apple for breakfast have porridge with an apple chopped through it. Our full fat greek yoghurt with nuts and apple through it.

Lunch rather than smoothie maybe a wrap and some soup.

Home cook some dinner and save the ready meals for busy days. Plan your days and stick with it even if you feel full and your body will soon adjust :-)
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm tired of hearing people say this. I'm sorry if I sound mean. You need at least 1200 calories to fuel your body, actually more if you are up moving around. Eat. There is plenty of healthy foods to choose from, keep trying them until you find them.
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem for a while, but i'm overcoming it now and the difference is amazing!! my weight is moving so much better now.

Add more healthy fats. Don't be scared of olive oil- it's very calorie dense but so good for you.

Jx
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Send me your food but delicious ones. I'ld eat them instead of you:)
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    You don't have to increase your calorie intake though 'unhealthy' full fat lattes. Add subtle things, maybe add more carbs to meals, or instead of eating all your fruit/veggies juice them. Its easier to have more calories in a sitting drinking a cup of juice then eating 7 apples. Add bagels, whole grains, fat free whipped cream or creamed cheese to meals.

Through all this, i don't even feel like calories are EXACT on what they contain or even have nutrition wise - this site may not even be correct. If you weren't counting calories and ate how you do right now, you defiantly wouldn't die or starve. Eat till your full, if your hungry though out the day just eat more fruit/veggies. As long as its not 15,200 calories of burger king then 1200 calories of healthy *kitten* things isnt that bad - especially if you dont feel any negative side effects. Your getting what your body needs, not what a website tells you what you need.

Ehh what do i know though lol. Juts my input. I'm have a 'prove it' mentality vs. what you should be doing.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense food like nuts, for example. For me the easiest is sesama butter ("tahini"), it's 100 cals for tbsp.
  • 1swlg1948
    1swlg1948 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would advise you to see your family physician or a good Nutritionist. Personally, 1200 calories isn't enough for a person who hasn't had a stomach reroute like me. This is my daily goal and I do it just fine. It takes planning. However, if you haven't had a gastric bypass, again, see a Nutritionist. Some times I see them on line and they give free advice. I am concerned that if your eating less than 1200 you are doing harm to your body. You appear to be a young person and you don't want to go into starve mode because you will upset your whole body. Believe me if your exercising on a regular basis and getting in the proper amount of protein you body will thank you. Protein of good quality is the first thing you need to consume for healthy body functions. Please think about seeing some one to help you, you have a lot to live for. Judy in Virginia
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a good fat and has alot of calories add it to your cooked veggies and salads even if you use dressing on your salads. Also you could always eat more almonds! Good luck.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    i also have the a small non-fat latte 3 days out of the week.
    Have a large, full-fat latte seven days a week?

This... I never understand how people complain about not being able to eat 1200 calories, when they were doing it before they got on MFP.... :huh:
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    So I eat 6 times a day and still cant get to 1200 calories, I am losing weight and thats great but
    i want to keep the weight off and im worried about my metabolism. I eat mostly all organic and live off of fruit, veggies, almonds, and chicken, i also have the a small non-fat latte 3 days out of the week.I also have small portions and i measure everything out now according to the serving size, I am not hungry all the time or anything so what do i do!

You can't eat 1200 calories per day? smh.. don't understand. A large T of peanut butter is 200 calories.

I know, right?! I have a hard time eating UNDER 2000 cals per day! LOL
  • healthyversionofme
    healthyversionofme Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    damn, why do i never have THIS problem, lol. But to help, I think the previous suggestions were good...sounds like you eat lotsa fruits and veggies which are good so add more protein and heatlhly carbs like brown rice with your veggies.
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The best metabolism booster is protein. If you're only eating chicken, and don't want to add other meats, consider a supplement such as whey protein.

The reason why protein boosts your metabolism is that it's a building block for lean body mass - bone, muscle, connective tissue, etc. These things take more calories to support than fat.

An added bonus of upping your protein is that you'll be less hungry as protein takes longer to digest than carbs.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    i also have the a small non-fat latte 3 days out of the week.
    Have a large, full-fat latte seven days a week?

This... I never understand how people complain about not being able to eat 1200 calories, when they were doing it before they got on MFP.... :huh:

they probably think that they are not allowed to eat any fat or something

True :laugh:
  • Lovesparklesandcupcakes
    Options
    Also gonna call BS here...we all got big by eating way more than 1200 so how is it that suddenly all these people complain about not being able to reach that number? Also - I am a vegan and find it quite easy to reach (and exceed) 1200 calories without help from dairy, eggs, meat, chicken, fish, or any other animal by product. If I can reach 1200 on fruit, veg, nuts, and grains alone believe me you can.

Add a slice or two of wholewheat bread or seed loaf with your almond butter in the morning. Switch up your smoothy at lunch for a salad or veggie stir-fry with some chicken or fish thrown in (if you eat meat). Add some more nuts to your other daily snacks. It is quite easy really.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    nuts, seeds, peanut butter, or drink some cals
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    damn, why do i never have THIS problem, lol. But to help, I think the previous suggestions were good...sounds like you eat lotsa fruits and veggies which are good so add more protein and heatlhly carbs like brown rice with your veggies.

I like the idea of adding healthy carbs. You said you eat a lot of fruit, veg, and chicken. Carbs will help you add extra calories - without my carbs I'd never make my daily calories! Drizzle a little olive oil on for some healthy fats and extra calories. Try a serving of cheese. The only time I have trouble eating 1200 calories is when I'm sick. I'm on a maintenance of 1700 plus exercise calories and it's sometimes hard to eat it all, but I generally get pretty close.