Making the jump from 1200 calories to TDEE

Options
2»

Replies

• amyk0705
    Options
    My weight loss had hit a plateau also despite eating 1200 cals/day and exercising. I was advised on this site that I wasn't eating enough. Increased my cals to 1450/day last week and hey presto 3lb loss! Good Luck!
  • Navotc
    Navotc Posts: 97
    Options
    Bump for later. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm pretty intense already. Between 60-90 minutes of aerobic exercise per day-elliptical, running, cycling (I stay in my aerobic threshold throughout though) and 20-30 minutes of weight training. My body fat is 21%, so I'm fairly lean (for a 42 year old woman). I was actually thinking that I might be too intense and that's why I thought about upping the calories by a bit. I don't want to lose lean muscle mass and just see a number on the scale.

If you want to cut more fat, cut the cardio to 1-2 days, and really focus on heavy weight training (failing around 8 reps). You have already probably lost a decent amount of lbm with all the cardio and little amount of calories you eat.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I just upped my calorie intake to 1800... I am fairly thin 5'6, 13%bf, about 124-126lbs but not seeing the results that I want just yet (doing asylum/insanity hybrid), I was trying to eat about 1700 calories, which sometimes I could get that many but mostly fell short.. I burn somewhere around 1000 calories a day so I pretty much screwed myself right there with results.. so yeah, will finish the last few days of this workout schedule, take a little break from "scheduled" workouts for about 1 1/2 weeks (sisters wedding) then start back up with a p90x2/asylum hybrid for 30 days, and keep the calories at 1800... see how this one works out :bigsmile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calorie intake to 1800... I am fairly thin 5'6, 13%bf, about 124-126lbs but not seeing the results that I want just yet (doing asylum/insanity hybrid), I was trying to eat about 1700 calories, which sometimes I could get that many but mostly fell short.. I burn somewhere around 1000 calories a day so I pretty much screwed myself right there with results.. so yeah, will finish the last few days of this workout schedule, take a little break from "scheduled" workouts for about 1 1/2 weeks (sisters wedding) then start back up with a p90x2/asylum hybrid for 30 days, and keep the calories at 1800... see how this one works out :bigsmile:

Sweetie you are way under eating. WAY! I eat 1700 a day and I am 108 lbs. If you want to tone, you will need to up your calories and protein. By being so lean and working out so hard and under eating, you are burning muscle, not fat. You should be eating your TDEE.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

Sweetie you are way under eating. WAY! I eat 1700 a day and I am 108 lbs. If you want to tone, you will need to up your calories and protein. By being so lean and working out so hard and under eating, you are burning muscle, not fat. You should be eating your TDEE.

If she is really at 13% body fat, then I would agree. Should be more around 2200 calories (which is TDEE). That is pretty low in terms of body fat for women (before getting into essential fats).
  • Wyutzy
    Wyutzy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    following this, very interesting.....
  • vguynes
    vguynes Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in this topic as well.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    U probably have a gain, because ur eating more food which means more food in ur tummy which means u will weigh more. Also u have to let ur body get used to it.
    I eat ab 300-400 cals less than my TDEE. I try for it to b 250 but never make it. Anyways I still lose. I'm 5'5 125lbs.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've been stalled now for a few weeks and need to shake things up. I've been staying at 1200, but eating back some exercise calories. This has worked well for a while, but my effort is not showing on the scale anymore. I am going to try to subtract 20% from my TDEE (which will be about 1700 per day-WAY more than I've been eating even with exercise calories) and follow this plan.

For anyone who has made this switch, what can I expect for the first few weeks? A gain on the scale? Any advice would be appreciated.

I also intend to increase my strength training from about 20 minutes per day to about 45.

You body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You can not make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
    What is the exact number of calories for you?

We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban (The Body Centric Calorie Guide from the Venus Index and Adonis Index Manuals)

It really all depends on how long you have been in a calorie deficit and what your body fat % is. Since I'm short and have a lower BMR than most people "eating more" didn't work until I got leaner (documentation below on why that works). Going up in calories works better for taller people with a higher BMR and more room to go up and down with their calories.

You'll have to experiment to see what works for you.

The Theory of Fat Availability:
    •There is a set amount of fat that can be released from a fat cell.
    •The more fat you have, the more fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •The less fat you have, the less fat can be used as a fuel when dieting.
    •Towards the end of a transformation, when body fat is extremely low you
    may not have enough fat to handle a large caloric deficit anymore.

At the extreme low end, when your body fat cannot ‘keep up’ with the energy deficit
    you've imposed on your body, the energy MUST come from SOMEWHERE. This is
    when you are at risk of losing lean body mass during dieting (commonly referred to
    as ‘starvation mode’). This happens at extremely low levels of body fat, under 6% in
    men and 12% in women [Friedl K.E. J Appl Phsiol, 1994].

-Brad Pilon and John Barban (from The Reverse Taper Diet in The Adonis Index and Venus Index manuals)