I am going Gluten Free, any comments suggestions

Options

Replies

• mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Zela, I have been GF for probably 6-8 months? something like that. I DID feel better after a week or two and wanted to share it with the world! I had finally figured out what was causing all these symptoms I've been struggling with for YEARS!
  • TheSink
    TheSink Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is not an intended snarky comment, so I apologize in advance if it comes across as such. But I am honestly curious....

I've read many posts on MFP by people who have ditched gluten from their diets, and how "great {they} feel". It's always the standard "I dropped gluten from my diet, and it's so great because I feel so much better now." And I don't believe those individuals are lying, but I'm wondering what sort of tangible evidence that going gluten free is actually better. I've read about the addictive properties of gluten (and really, carbs in general), but I'm wondering if it lowers cholesterol, or increases blood flow, or someone ate 10,000 calories of gluten free foods every day, and still lost 100 pounds....something that can prove to me that for the non-gluten intolerant or alergic that it makes sense to entirely cut it out of a diet.
  • soulfulsally
    Options
    I don't see how it could hurt to try. If you've got some extra money to spare, you could get tested for celiac disease first. I think if you have a diagnosis, you can get government assistance for gluten free foods. Used to be that way at least.

My #1 suggestion for going gluten free: Don't get hung up on buying the gluten free versions of snack foods. It's costly and those foods almost always higher calorie that the regular versions. Stick with fruits and vegetables, meats, dairy, nuts, rice, and rice pasta.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    No offensive to the OP... just my view on the situation of "gluten free" foods:

I hate all these stupid articles about how bad carbs are.... whether you're a nutritionist, dietitian, whatever.. now, if an article was written by someone with a PH.D. in molecular biology that has studied the effects of carbs and tumor necrosis factors, I would believe it.

Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't try it... I'm just saying, don't believe every single thing that you read.

Try it for 30 days.. if you feel better... good. If not, fine. Unless you have a chronic illness... there is really not a need to cut out gluten. I only say this because I have Crohn's disease and my gut hates EVERYTHING.

My only suggestion: if you want to eliminate gluten, eliminate all other grains, sugars, and starches (including corn, etc..) as well. Do not eliminate carbs all together. Fruits, honey, coconuts = good.

Eat healthy, live healthy.
  • mearlie
    Options
    This is not an intended snarky comment, so I apologize in advance if it comes across as such. But I am honestly curious....

I've read many posts on MFP by people who have ditched gluten from their diets, and how "great {they} feel". It's always the standard "I dropped gluten from my diet, and it's so great because I feel so much better now." And I don't believe those individuals are lying, but I'm wondering what sort of tangible evidence that going gluten free is actually better. I've read about the addictive properties of gluten (and really, carbs in general), but I'm wondering if it lowers cholesterol, or increases blood flow, or someone ate 10,000 calories of gluten free foods every day, and still lost 100 pounds....something that can prove to me that for the non-gluten intolerant or alergic that it makes sense to entirely cut it out of a diet.

If you don't have a gluten sensitivity or celiacs, gluten free living is ridiculous. BUT there are lots of people eating gluten who would feel better if they were GF because they actually DO have an intolerance. And the only real way to find out if you are sensitive to gluten is to go cold turkey. Stop all gluten for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. There's no magical test, no bloodwork, no saliva workup that can tell with absolute certainty whether you are sensitive to it or not. If you have diagnosed celiacs, your gut is so mangled that there's no villi left when they biopsy a piece of the colon.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

It's a totally legit question. Here's a recent blog post that discusses the difference between gluten intolerance and gluten sensitivity, and cites several recent studies.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-common-is-gluten-sensitivity/#axzz284Mz2yJY

Basically, the gist of it is that gluten causes an inflammatory response in MANY people. The cause of inflammation is different for Celiacs than those who are just sensitive to gluten, but the symptoms (and relief from those systems upon elimination) is often the same.

From the article:
    Celiacs have persistent and profound perforation of the intestinal lining (at least as long as they’re eating gluten) as well as atrophy of the villi, thereby allowing foreign proteins – including, but not limited to, gluten – constant access into the bloodstream and impairing nutrient absorption. Folks with “mere” gluten sensitivity have transient and milder intestinal permeability, or sometimes none at all.

Celiac is an autoimmune disease that inspires the immune system to attack the body’s own tissues, while in gluten sensitivity, the immune attacks are directed solely against components of the diet (gliadin).

Celiac disease seems to involve the “adaptive immune system,” while gluten sensitivity involves activation of the “innate immune system.”

In celiac, the inflammatory cytokine IL-17 is elevated. In gluten sensitivity, it is not.

So gluten sensitivity and celiac disease are two distinct “clinical entities” with the same environmental trigger – gluten – and many of the same symptoms:

Diarrhea
    Bloating
    Abdominal pain
    Eczema
    Headache
    Foggy brain
    Fatigue
    Depression
    Joint pain
    Numbness in the extremities

Me again: Because gluten can cause systemic inflammation, it often exacerbates other inflammatory conditions such as chronic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and others. So many people who have suffered from things that seem totally unrelated to diet, like pain from a bad knee or shoulder, experience pain relief when eliminating gluten.

There's suspicion that gluten plays a role in psychological or behavioral issues as well. I know anectdotally, people eating paleo/primal say they experience less depression, and see less ADHD or ADD issues with kids, but that may be as much from eliminating sugars and additives as from eliminating gluten.

The science behind this is still pretty young. There is also suspicion that the wheat in the US has been so modified over the past 50 years to increase yield, that it's part of why there is so much more GF sensitivity/Celiac today. There are reports that American Celiacs can eat wheat in Europe without issue.
  • zela
    zela Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Zela, I have been GF for probably 6-8 months? something like that. I DID feel better after a week or two and wanted to share it with the world! I had finally figured out what was causing all these symptoms I've been struggling with for YEARS!

Yes, I understand your point of view and that it worked for you for 6 months. I went on a intermittent fasting diet for 6 months and felt great after the first 2 days, felt like I had more energy, spent less time in the kitchen, slept in longer, etc... I wanted to share with the whole world. I recently went back to eating breakfast and not fasting and I all of a sudden feel like I am 100x more energized eating breakfast in the morning and getting stronger in the gym.

I also went on a low carb diet earlier in the year and was pretty much gluten free for about 2 months. After the first 2 weeks I wanted to share with the world that this was the best diet in the world. After 2 months I burned out and wanted to eat every slice of pizza and pint of ice cream in town. Luckly I had the will power and long term vision of my goals to contain myself.

My list for everything I've tried can be summed up in my library of 70+ books that I have sitting on my ipad of training and diets. Every one of them promises to take you to the promise land within the first few pages. After trying many of them I would agree for them to be true to some point but after going through their battles I would say there are many more factors to consider than can be listed in the first few pages. That is why I get itched the wrong way when somebody tries to influence not even a full week of experience onto somebody else.

I take away one thing from everything that is the big tree in fitness & nutrition being that everybody has a common but specific to the individual goal. Your path to that goal has its own branch and its unique for me than it is for you. Don't try to fit your branch onto somebody else or in simple terms everybody is different and needs to find what works for them. If it was as black and white as a week of experience can lead us to believe than we wouldn't be asking questions and would have only one answer.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Living a gluten free lifestyle is NOT easy. I don't do it because I want to, I promise you that! There have been several times over this 6-8 month experiment that I've tried to eat a piece of bread or pasta or a slice of cake. I paid for it for 2-3 days! The pain in my gut, the numbness in my fingers, face and toes, and the brain fog prove to me when I've had gluten.

Point is, there's only one way to know for sure if going gluten free works, and that is to give it a try. It doesn't matter how many books you've got on your ipad. If you've got a problem with gluten, reading won't fix it. BUT you can fix it by not eating gluten.

If one DOES decide to go gluten free and gets no benefit, then it's silly to continue.

I understand your frustration but we are all where we are and it's OK to share where you're at right now. Since we are using the internet/social media, we all know to take everything here like a grain of salt.
  • jack3Dav3
    jack3Dav3 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Yes, I understand your point of view and that it worked for you for 6 months. I went on a intermittent fasting diet for 6 months and felt great after the first 2 days, felt like I had more energy, spent less time in the kitchen, slept in longer, etc... I wanted to share with the whole world. I recently went back to eating breakfast and not fasting and I all of a sudden feel like I am 100x more energized eating breakfast in the morning and getting stronger in the gym.

I also went on a low carb diet earlier in the year and was pretty much gluten free for about 2 months. After the first 2 weeks I wanted to share with the world that this was the best diet in the world. After 2 months I burned out and wanted to eat every slice of pizza and pint of ice cream in town. Luckly I had the will power and long term vision of my goals to contain myself.

My list for everything I've tried can be summed up in my library of 70+ books that I have sitting on my ipad of training and diets. Every one of them promises to take you to the promise land within the first few pages. After trying many of them I would agree for them to be true to some point but after going through their battles I would say there are many more factors to consider than can be listed in the first few pages. That is why I get itched the wrong way when somebody tries to influence not even a full week of experience onto somebody else.

I take away one thing from everything that is the big tree in fitness & nutrition being that everybody has a common but specific to the individual goal. Your path to that goal has its own branch and its unique for me than it is for you. Don't try to fit your branch onto somebody else or in simple terms everybody is different and needs to find what works for them. If it was as black and white as a week of experience can lead us to believe than we wouldn't be asking questions and would have only one answer.

^^THIS
  • karaks
    karaks Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and have been GF for about a month now. I've had the symptoms of Celiac for years, but never knew that was the reason for my problems. I can't even explain to most people the difference in how I feel. There have been no other changes in my life, except for my diet. It has been tough, but I am completely gluten free. I noticed a difference after 4 days of changing my diet. It wasn't that all of my symptoms completely disappeared, but they were lessened significantly. After a week, I accidentally ate something with gluten in it and was so sick that I couldn't leave the house for like 36 hours. It was horrible. That made me realize how serious I needed to be with this and am diligent now in checking labels, searching for information, etc.

I sleep better now, no longer have migraines, the stomach problems I've had for years seem to be almost gone, and even the pain from arthritis in several joints isn't nearly as bad as it was before going GF. I think I read that gluten free is considered an anti-inflammatory diet...not sure about that, but it seems to be helping either way. Anyway, I have actually had to watch my carb intake since I started this because I was trying so many new (to me) pre-packaged GF foods and breads that I was having more carbs than I usually do (and I am not on a low carb diet).

I have lost about 5 lbs this month since going GF, but I think that's just because I've started eating healthier foods and more fruits and veggies. And because I've felt better, my workouts seem to be more fun and intense. I will never go back to eating gluten. The difference in the way I feel is amazing. But if I didn't have Celiac, I would not be eating GF by choice.....
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I went gluten free last Monday.

I have no indigestion

I have 200x more energy

I do not miss it one bar

I had a headache for 2 days after quitting, i felt weird for about 4 days

I could NOT go back to gluten now, cutting it out has changed my life :)

If you want to do it, do it, but dont do it because you want to lose weight, do it because you want to make a positive and beneficial change to your lifestyle for the rest of your life.

I cannot eat birthday cakes or have the odd snack, i cannot eat pastrys or go to a friends house for dinner, i have to take a packed lunch everywhere. I cannot eat toast or have the odd bacon sarnie. going gluten free has not been easy at all, i have had to forfeit an awful lot of stuff... but it has changed my life for the better :) It was entirely worth it!

You went gluten free for ONE week and it has changed your TWENTY EIGHT years off existence. My best guess is you've never been committed to anything for more than a week before or somebody has you sold. From my experience I go on certain diet and training philosophies for months and even if I see changes still do not feel qualified to give other people advice.

To the original poster, I recommend that you do more research than reading one article on a subject before diving into it. Especially take second thought when getting advice from somebody that has been on it for a week and might decide its a bad idea by next Monday. Even if you do get advice from somebody that has been on something for months, keep in mind that what works for one person may not work for you.

Thats my piece of advice from months and months of work and research, so gather what you know and take the plunge. Most times a mistake is necessary to learn.

Nobody here is 'qualified' to give advice because we are not dietians.

I was providing information based upon my experience which i was honest and clear about.

Yes i gave up gluten a week ago and i have had more fun and pleasure making and eating food since then than i ever did before :)

Its been a really lovely experience for me.

I know gluten reacts badly with me because of how i feel right now, i dont honestly give a monkey's whether YOU 'approve' or 'believe' me or not, i did not stop eating gluten because of a 'faddy diet' i did it because of my health.

You have absolutely NO business being so rude, judgemental or negative.

And you know this for certain that its not a case of the weather changing in the last week, or things falling into place at work, or your relationship with your significant other taking a spark. or your bodily hormones in a swing from regularities outside of food, etc... Come back to me in 6 months and tell me that your life has been changed and that you haven't had a gluten free pizza once and I might consider the possibility that your life change a result of your diet.

Yes i can, i have suffered with terrible indigestion for the majority of my adult life, regardless of my weight and for the last 5 days i have not required prescribed or non-prescribed indigestion treatments, that is absolutely life changing. To lie down at night and not have acidic bile rising into your throat, or just bile if on the right amount of medication (they had to double the dose for a while) has been utterly amazing.

to breathe in and not feel a knot of anxiety, totally connected to my heartburn, is fantastic.

And preparing healthy, wonderful meals that my family loves is a joy.

I will not 'come back to you in six months' because actually, i do not give a TOSS whether you 'believe' me or not. It is irrelevant to my journey and my lifestyle choice.

Of course life changes as a result of your diet! You are what you eat and i am lighter, more positive and happier, everyone has commented on it.

My relationship is fine thank you, i would think if it were a problem in my relationship that caused my chronic heartburn, i would have noticed in the many relationships that i have had in the time i have suffered with it.

Now, given that i have absolutely no reason on the planet to justify myself to such a negative, snobby little man, i would ask that you respectfully stop assuming things about me, my family and my diet.

Thank you.
  • mearlie
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease and have been GF for about a month now. I've had the symptoms of Celiac for years, but never knew that was the reason for my problems. I can't even explain to most people the difference in how I feel. There have been no other changes in my life, except for my diet. It has been tough, but I am completely gluten free. I noticed a difference after 4 days of changing my diet. It wasn't that all of my symptoms completely disappeared, but they were lessened significantly. After a week, I accidentally ate something with gluten in it and was so sick that I couldn't leave the house for like 36 hours. It was horrible. That made me realize how serious I needed to be with this and am diligent now in checking labels, searching for information, etc.

I sleep better now, no longer have migraines, the stomach problems I've had for years seem to be almost gone, and even the pain from arthritis in several joints isn't nearly as bad as it was before going GF. I think I read that gluten free is considered an anti-inflammatory diet...not sure about that, but it seems to be helping either way. Anyway, I have actually had to watch my carb intake since I started this because I was trying so many new (to me) pre-packaged GF foods and breads that I was having more carbs than I usually do (and I am not on a low carb diet).

I have lost about 5 lbs this month since going GF, but I think that's just because I've started eating healthier foods and more fruits and veggies. And because I've felt better, my workouts seem to be more fun and intense. I will never go back to eating gluten. The difference in the way I feel is amazing. But if I didn't have Celiac, I would not be eating GF by choice.....

^^^ THIS
  • TheSink
    Options
    There's suspicion that gluten plays a role in psychological or behavioral issues as well. I know anectdotally, people eating paleo/primal say they experience less depression, and see less ADHD or ADD issues with kids, but that may be as much from eliminating sugars and additives as from eliminating gluten.

I appreciate your post, and I hear you on folks with Celiac disease and other gluten sensitivities. I'm pulling this one comment out, not to pick on you or the comment, but rather to go back to my original point. In my opinion, it's far too simple to equate a gluten free diet and the experience of "less depression." It's very hard to measure something like that, and say with any certainty the two are correlated. I feel like people who claim gluten free diets changed their psyches, or made them feel better, are implicitly stating that gluten is the reason for why they were depressed or "felt bad" in the first place. It's almost like saying "I don't have a cell phone or a brain tumor, so cell phones cause brain tumors". Everybody understimates the powers of the mind, and honestly? I think people who go gluten free as a means of "feeling better" or limiting ADD or whatever are making themselves believe the two are interrelated. But then again, what do I know? :-) I just cringe when I read about fad diets.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    That stupid blog post convinced you to completely change the way you eat? wow
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Been thinking about doing it, this article helped me decide to just do it!

http://www.healyourlife.com/author-dr-dena-mendes/2011/08/lifeshelp/get-healthy/why-be-gluten-free

4 Facts to Get Gluten-Free:

1. You need a certain amount of carbohydrates for brain development. These can be attained by eating greens and high quality animal protein/fat. You could live the rest of your life and never eat another packaged carbohydrate containing wheat and gluten. You wouldn’t miss it and you’d be a lot healthier.
    2. Carbohydrates are more addicting than cocaine or heroine. The rush you get from a sticky, gooey cinnamon bun can create such a high, you might do whatever it takes to get another one in a few hours. The sad part is that you’ll never be satiated by this empty relationship. Carbs can have such catastrophic side effects including permanently slowing your metabolism, numbing your senses and preventing healthy brain development.
    3. Every popular diet today is all about eliminating killer carbs and adding the fat back. You need good quality fats such as avocados and olive oil for your body and brain to work most efficiently. You will never need pasta or cereal (packaged carbohydrates).
    4. Until the government began making recommendations for your daily diet requirements by telling you that your diet should be made up of 45-65% carbs, your ancestors lived healthy, happy lives as hunters and gatherers who ate meat, fish, veggies, and fruit

Love it!!! Go a few days without gluten and then try to eat it again, you will not be impressed anymore. At least I wasn't!! And about that ancestor comment, you couldn't be more right!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    4. Until the government began making recommendations for your daily diet requirements by telling you that your diet should be made up of 45-65% carbs, your ancestors lived healthy, happy lives as hunters and gatherers who ate meat, fish, veggies, and fruit

BS. BS. BS.
  • TheSink
    Options

BS. BS. BS.

^^THIS^^ They also died at 40, too.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I dont get this idea that carbs = gluten and gluten free = no carbs.

I still eat plenty of carbs, i just dont eat gluten

i dont eat 'gluten free' products very much at all, i just eat products that don't contain gluten and make my own food.

I started dieting and ate porridge with alsorts of good stuff in it, i found i was ill and the heartburn was terrible.

Cut the cereals, i lost the indigestion but that doesnt mean i have swapped for a 'gluten free' cereal, it means i have swapped for something healthy that happens to not contain gluten.

I think people get confused and think gluten-free = healthy when that is not at all the case.
  • mearlie
    Options
    Feeb, just keep doing what you are doing and don't worry about the negativity. Your input is helpful for others and will be even more helpful a few months from now - I think it's hard for people who have a stomach of steel to understand, my hubs included! It took him a long time to realize that I was serious and that this is really helping but he gets it now!

And it doesn't help that the medical community is still using old science, and that there's no way to test for celiacs other than a biopsy. The blood tests are inaccurate at best and even a biopsy is only going to diagnose the most extreme cases.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A great guide for those starting on a more 'natural' way of eating. While I don't blame gluten on it's own for a lot of America's obesity problem, I do think that the overabundance of processed foods (which includes an incredibly high amount of carbs and gluten) are the likely culprit.

Here's one of my favorite blog posts on how to approach a paleo form of eating:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

I am not 100% on the wagon, but I have noticed that limiting the amount of processed carbs, breads, and pastas has led to better weight loss success. It also just feels better knowing that I'm eating real instead of 'invented' food.