Help!! Need some home decorating tips on a budget

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
Hello friends,

Just move into my new home and need everything to furnish my place but I am on a tight budget. Would appreciate some suggestions on where to purchase the following items.

Bedding

Bath

Television

Cookware

Dresser

I would like buy things on sale and start shopping this weekend.

Herb

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you would aquire herb, it's been years...

But the rest of the stuff.. well when I moved I found it all at Target for not too much money.
    Costco can sometimes have good deals on TV's. Really research that part.
  • mdcjmom
    mdcjmom Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I agree with the target comment as far as the bedding....bath...and cookware

I would go to thrift stores or second hand stores for the tv and dresser.
  • garzapat1005
    garzapat1005 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ross, Marshalls and stien mart!
  • garzapat1005
    garzapat1005 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt do thrieft stores because alot of the time they can be pretty pricey, I have found tone of deals at ross, marshalls, stien mart dont forget burlington, oh yes big lots!
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    I live very close to both Walmart and Target. I have 3 baths and 4 bedrooms to furnish including a room for a teenager.

Thrift stores is a good idea.

Costco does sell nice TV's. Good suggestion.
  • fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Ross, Marshalls and stien mart!

This.. also you can find fun things at thrift shops to accent everything as well. I decorated our whole house using this "method"
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Marshalls and TJ Maxx are good suggestions. I don't live close to a stein mart.
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    What type of cookware set do you suggestion? There are so many out there?
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ikea, Big Lots, Walmart.com (way better than in-store).
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    Walmart.com has reasonable prices. Thanks
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options
    IKEA
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Spend good money on the cookware... it will last forever..

You need one large deep frying pan with non stick bottom.. you can use that for all your saute needs
    Get a double duty pasta pot (large) with a steamer top so you can cook your pastas, ears of corns, and soups, stews etc. with a lid.

Then a small fry pan for smaller items like eggs.
    and two small sauce pans with lids.

For accessories: you will need wooden spoons, spatulas and slotted spoons that you can usually buy all in one.
    Stay away from the cooking collections sold in boxes, they generally have too many pieces that you don't need and not what you do need.

Make sure handles of cookware won't melt so you can put them in oven to keep food warm..
    Also one casserole covered pot, will go a long way!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    If you like non-stick, get ceramic interior cookware and buy silicone utensils to use with it. The only drawback is you need to wash the cookware by hand, but with it being non-stick it's super easy....and worth it!!
  • ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    IKEA

I second this. You can get A LOT of the little things for the home really cheap. Especially kitchenware. 9 times out of 10, you can get things at dollar store prices, but much better quality.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Check out Craigslist and the classifieds in a local online newspaper. Watch for yard sale announcements too. Another store that you have up there is Ollies, they have a ton of name brand household stuff reasonably priced.
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Im going to agree with the walmart, targert, tjmax and ikea suggestions. Also dont rule out yard sales, craigs list, or ebay. A lot of times i find what i want somewhere else then buy it on ebay cheaper. Amazon and overstock are great too. Have fun getting settled!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    and don't forget about Kohl's!
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    we bought pretty much everything in Ikea... it doesnt last forever but the pricing is fantastic.
  • Fox_n_sox
    Fox_n_sox Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Do you have a "Big Lots" around you, its like a store that stuff goes that is marked down, say Target or Kmart order too much of something, they sell it to this store and they sell it at a reduced price. They have good stuff there too. You can look up them online. I'm sure they would ship to your house. :D Good Luck
  • Topsking2010
    Options
    We have no Big Lots in my area. I was also thinking checking out Estate or moving sales.