How is it possible?

Options
To gain 6lbs in one month on a calorie deficit? Beyond frustrated. :sad: I am struggling not to just give up now. I've come so far, and I know I need to start weightlifting, but it still shouldn't be possible to gain that much weight in one month when I haven't cheated. I know that I don't always eat "clean" but still, I'm under calorie, I occasionally eat unhealthy but within calorie, how did I gain 6lbs. I don't think water weight stays with you for a whole month. Any ideas?

Replies

• Psyb3r
    Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    If your breakfast is any indication of you normal eating habits, it appears pretty obvious to me. Poor diet.
  • Lindseyelizabeth87
    Lindseyelizabeth87 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but I might say it's diet too. Try treating bread as a treat, and not a daily staple.
    I might do away with the bacon too. :/
  • Psyb3r
    Options
    No, that is not my normal breakfast. Normally I have oat bran, with some protein (egg whites, protein shake).
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You are not at a deficit? Assuming you have no health problems.
  • Psyb3r
    Options
    My daily MFP goal is 1610, my TDEE is 1850. So that is a deficit of 200 daily, and if I go over one day, I try and zig-zag and stay way under the next. As you can see, on Sat, I exercised and was 450 under daily goal, and yesterday I was right at goal. I know the choices aren't the best, and I'm working on that, but it's a LIFESTYLE change, and I want changes that I'm going to stick with.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    How about one ingredient foods? Try eating more like Egg, Chicken, Tuna, Lettuce, Apple, Banana, etc... I totally believe in calorie in vs calories out but I do also think eating a lot of processed foods can cause you problems.
  • jwapal
    jwapal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your measurements? Any inches lost? Sometimes the scale doesn't tell the whole story.
  • tnmyers23
    tnmyers23 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    To gain 6lbs in one month on a calorie deficit? Beyond frustrated. :sad: I am struggling not to just give up now. I've come so far, and I know I need to start weightlifting, but it still shouldn't be possible to gain that much weight in one month when I haven't cheated. I know that I don't always eat "clean" but still, I'm under calorie, I occasionally eat unhealthy but within calorie, how did I gain 6lbs. I don't think water weight stays with you for a whole month. Any ideas?

I saw a lot of sugary food that might be part of the problem.
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Overestimating calorie burn & underestimating your calories from food?

Do you wear an HRM or use MFP's guess-timates for calories burned? Do you weigh/portion your food and enter it as such?

Edited to add: also notice that your Sodium numbers are super high most days, which can cause you to retain water. Try aiming for the recommended daily intake for adults (1500mg) and not the numbers MFP gives you. This will also help you cut out some of the processed foods you eat as they are always high in sodium.
  • Dying2Live84
    Dying2Live84 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked your measurements? Any inches lost? Sometimes the scale doesn't tell the whole story.

I agree with this and also that you may need to cut down your carb intake. Don't beat yourself up too much and don't give up!! you have done great so far.

xx
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    tryinghard71 said:
    How about one ingredient foods? Try eating more like Egg, Chicken, Tuna, Lettuce, Apple, Banana, etc... I totally believe in calorie in vs calories out but I do also think eating a lot of processed foods can cause you problems.

Completely agree. I noticed a lot of processed food on your diary, and I would guess that some people's bodies retain those foods differently than others.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising a lot compared to how your activity used to be? I've dropped 2 pant sizes and gained 4lbs, but its mostly muscle. Another thing is there are 'hidden' calories to watch for. For example, some BBQ sauces have as much sugar as a soda. Too much bread (grain=sugar to your digestive system) will help keep weight on as well. For a healthy individual, try to aim for 300g of carbs at most (if you're one of those people that eats carbs hehe).
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options

I saw a lot of sugary food that might be part of the problem.
    I eat a lot of sugar and still manage to lose about .5-1lb/week keeping within my calorie goal. The problem could be underestimating portion sizes. Or perhaps its medical, thyroid?
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I gained 6lbs my first month. I cut all fat and sugar out of my diet the second month and only ate 1200 calories a day and now I'm down 11lbs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Water weight can stay with you for a month (or more) if something such as a food intollerance or hormonal imbalance in your body causes you to retain it. Also, how sure are you that you are maintaining a calorie deficit? All these calculations that come from the internet are population based averages and will vary from person to person.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    Hi there

Your sodium intake looks quite high and your carbohydrates look to be more very simple. Try to switch out your current carb selections with complex carbs like whole grain breads and vegetables. Drink lots of water. Good luck.
  • Stac2004
    Stac2004 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

This was my initial question too...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My daily MFP goal is 1610, my TDEE is 1850. So that is a deficit of 200 daily, and if I go over one day, I try and zig-zag and stay way under the next. As you can see, on Sat, I exercised and was 450 under daily goal, and yesterday I was right at goal. I know the choices aren't the best, and I'm working on that, but it's a LIFESTYLE change, and I want changes that I'm going to stick with.

If you got your TDEE number from an internet calculator it may be incorrect. That would simply be the number that the average person of your age, height, weight, sex and BF burns. You may simply burn calories slower than average if you are not losing weight.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    One word: Sodium.

I have days when mine is as high or higher than yours, but it always makes me weigh more on the scale the next day. The next few days.