Sober October

Options
Good morning, everyone!

It's October 1st, the year is flying by! In honor of the new month, and because I can't resist a good rhyme, I hereby dub the next 4 weeks Sober October, and invite anyone else who cares to, to join in with me in refusing to drink your calories, or to keep binging due to lowered inhibitions.

I personally will be giving up all calorie-laden drinks. Nothing but water, tea, coffee, for the whole month. I'm not asking anyone else to live by those rules, but "just" giving up a few beers a week is hundreds of calories that can be spent on something delicious, real, and nutrient-rich. Please feel free to respond here and/or add me as a friend, if you want to play. I'll also be posting my weekly weigh-in (Monday mornings), and any slips or stumbles along my way, I'd love it if people commented with their own.

To anyone who decides to join, good luck!

Replies

• CantarellaMiyani
    CantarellaMiyani Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Weigh-in log:

Week 1 - October 1: 156.6
    Week 2 - October 8:
    Week 3 - October 15:
    Week 4 - October 22:
    FINAL WEIGH-IN - October 31:
  • betsastormborn
    Options
    Hey I'll join! This is just what I was looking for. With football every weekend I have found it exceptionally hard to steer clear of the beer, lol.

Weigh-in log:

Week 1 - October 1: 160.0

Awesome!
  • RockinSkiBunny
    RockinSkiBunny Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Count me in. This is always where I fail. I like my wine. I really need some support with this. I certainly don't get it in my life with friends who like to drink!!!
  • Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! I could do with a month off the hooch :) Though, I'm a Friday weigher so my dates will be a little skewed.

Week 1 - Sept 28: 165
    Week 2 - Oct 5:
    Week 3 - Oct 12:
    Week 4 - Oct 19:
    FINAL (Goal = 160) - Oct 26
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I've been sober for 4 months tomorrow but this is great motivation for me!!

Week 1 - 10/1/2012 149.2
  • dominikaro
    Options
    I'm doing it, except for Fri and Sat :)
  • denadawn
    denadawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love the rhyme..Sober October. I am with you 100%. Liquid calories are killing me right now. Alcohol as well as Starbuck's, If I have it, it will be a soy latte nothing to fancy and sweet. I have lost 140 pounds and just this morning I decided to recommit myself to lose 20 more pounds. I have been going through some extremely stressful times and food & drink is where I go and drinking does cause you to not make good food choices or I don't eat at all and that is worse. I worked so hard and went through so much to ge here and I am not going to give up. Thank you for your post. I wish you the best of luck on day 1 of Sober October:)
  • CantarellaMiyani
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! The more of us are involved, the more support we have, and the better we all do!

I'm setting up a spreadsheet in Google Docs, to track our progress throughout the month. If you want to be involved, please post weigh-ins here, so I can transfer them over. If you'd prefer to keep progess private, no harm done at all, I just thought it would be fun to see.

Good luck everyone!
  • bethanyka
    bethanyka Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I just decided this morning to do this too! i'm in. :tongue:
  • netsirk12
    netsirk12 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am in- no liquid calories at all!

However I just learned my tea Kcups have 70 calories in them and I had one before I started this but from here on out no liquid calories :)

todays weight 198.6 ----I have a goal of 5 lbs this month.
  • CantarellaMiyani
    Options
    Bump, in case anyone else wants to join! I've been on an adding spree, and fighting with spreadsheets, we've got a good group so far!

@netsirk12, no liquid calories at all?! That's crazy, and awesome, good luck!
  • DaddyJoJo
    DaddyJoJo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok Cantarella -- you caught my attention here.... this is something I have (begrudgingly) wanted to try for a while. I have 2 guy friends who reported losing 15 and 10 pounds, apparently doing nothing else different.

I'm in--

Current weight: 205.5
    Goal 10/31: 190.0

Go big or go home baby... God I hate this. No pain no gain I guess.

Joe
  • kmuree
    kmuree Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in! I absolutely love my girly drinks, beer and wine! Not to mention the obscene amount of calories I spend on caffeinated drinks. :laugh: I should add I am doing the 30 Day Shred and C25k program on top of eliminating these drinks!

Week 1 - October 1: 192.8
    Week 2 - October 8:
    Week 3 - October 15:
    Week 4 - October 22:
  • dlpoisson
    dlpoisson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    This is something that I been wanting to try too. I will need to give up 35 calorie coffee creamer (3 cups per day) and wine.

Oct 1: 142.5
    Oct 8:
    Oct 15:
    Oct 22:
    Oct 29:
  • Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in! I absolutely love my girly drinks, beer and wine! Not to mention the obscene amount of calories I spend on caffeinated drinks. :laugh: I should add I am doing the 30 Day Shred and C25k program on top of eliminating these drinks!

Week 1 - October 1: 192.8
    Week 2 - October 8:
    Week 3 - October 15:
    Week 4 - October 22:

I'm also doing the 30 Day Shred on top of Sober October :) Not sure about C25K though... one step at a time!
  • jjchairo
    jjchairo Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would like to be added to the group!
    Oct 1: 166
    I have two days on the calendar w/ drinking commitments but will stick to only ONE glass of red wine. (why is happy hour so fun?)
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Sober October! Hell yes!
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm in.....been sober since August 4th.
  • Sneaky__B
    Sneaky__B Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love the rhyme! I am taking a mini vacation with my mom for 5 days this Thursday & will NOT be able to get through that without wine, but aside from that - I'm in for the rest of the month! It will be a real challenge for me but I have been meaning to see how long I can go without wine, so if I can do it for the last 3 weeks of October, that would be a huge success.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I notice that I tend to gain more over the summer with all those festivals, bbqs, pool parties, lake time, camping...ugh! But especially now that I am injured and sidelined, diet is really going to be very important and with my moral down, last thing I need to do is drown my sorrows either :) I love to cook and with that I love to pair my wines, but I think for 30 days it would do some good to be not only eating cleaner, but drinking cleaner. I did this once before a few years back and it was amazing just how much social stuff revolves around drinking...and it does add up, especially late night drive throughs on the way home! I did however lose weight and felt so much better, esp on Mondays. Great idea :) Feel free to add me!