How often to change calorie goal?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I am currently eating 1700. I am losing weight steadily right now, about 1-2 lbs every 7-10 days (I am 5'3", 235 so this is a safe loss for me).

How often should I reevaluate my TDEE and change my calorie plan for my new, lower weight? Should I wait until I seem to stall out a bit? I don't want to mess with it right yet as I'm losing steadily, but want to have a plan in place for when it seems to slow down

Replies

• bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I only joined in the middle of September, but I did and plan on updating my counts every two weeks.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I change mine once a quarter, based on my training. I don't need to eat as much on the off season as I do during the season and when running, cycling and tri's over lap, I need to eat the most.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Congrats on you weight loss so far. I would not obsess too much about the numbers. The fact that you are paying attention at all goes a long way. As long as what you are doing is working, I would stick with it. However, it is true that your TDEE will decrease as you lose weight. In my opinion, the best way to account for this is to add/increase exercise. That way you don't have to worry about starving yourself and you get the added health benefits.
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I evaluate at 5 lbs and change at 10 lbs....and for me the trend would be to increase closer to relevant TDEE as the weight drops.