Heart Rate Monitors????

Options
Does anyone have any advice for purchasing a heart rate monitor. I am trying to figure out how many calories I burn when I am doing various exercises. As far as I can tell a heart rate monitor should help with that. I have a garmin forerunner 305 that I got for christmas last year and like the accuracy with which it records my running but what about the yoga classes and various dvds... how do I measure accurately how many calories burned? Thanks in advance :)
Dawn

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    It only measures calories burned when you're running? Can't you just leave it on while doing yoga classes?
  • thecheese
    thecheese Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how to measure calories burned if it appears to the watch that I'm not covering any distance. Maybe it would but I'm not sure how?
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yah you're looking for something like the BodyBugg or GoWear that uses various biometrics to determine how many calories you are burning. (These are both about 300$ and require a monthly fee to use the website.)

Most of the devices I have found that are somewhat affordable like the FitBIt are pedometers. The FitBit in particular has an accelerometer built in the detect your movement.

*EDIT* Just looked at the Garmin Forerunner... Since it does have a HRM built into it, I would assume it can estimate your calories lost even if you aren't moving... but if its not showing you as losing any calories, it may use the distance metric for estimating calories lost...
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I have had cheeper heart rate monitors (from like Target) the do the job but they dont count calories burned. This year I got a polar watch for x-mas. It is worth it to buy it for yourelf. It is around $160 but let me tell you it is a great investment. I have noticed that the machines tell me I burn more than I really do so it helps you out knowing the exact amount you really burned.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    You don't need to spend 100+ on a Polar. Reebok XT only cost me like $40.00 and it does EVERYTHING that a Polar does. I love the thing!
  • toots99
    Options
    I have the Reebok XT also and I love it...I got it on sale for $20.
  • tom5avenue
    Options
    I've just got the Polar FT7 Watch and I like it.
  • bHealthy
    bHealthy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar.
  • thecheese
    Options
    Has anyone ever used a sportsline heart rate monitor. My husband bought me one its the Duo 1010. It was $70 and I may be making too much out of it but it seems nobody has any reviews on the thing. I just want to know if its accurate or not also am hoping to use it on gym equip w/o interference. It does have a battery that can be changed by the user as far as I can tell so that seems like a good option. Thanks
  • ncocci989
    Options
    do you have to wear the watch on your wrist or can you put it like on your pant loop? i dont really like watches espcially if i sweat, it makes my skin under the watch very itchy and dry...
  • thecheese
    Options
    I used the watch again last niight and it said my pulse was 164 just doing a very easy jog...that seems way too high. Is it possible that it would have higher reads? It uses a chest strap and I sweat a lot when I run...would that mess up my read?
  • toots99
    Options
    Sweat actually helps the sensors get a better reading. The instructions on mine say that if there isn't a reading, to dampen the sensors.