Little confused about extra calories earned..

Options
When it tells you that you have earned X amount of extra calories after exercising, are you supposed to consume those calories, or is it just letting you know that you have them if you happen to go over your goal? I'm new to all this and it's kind of confusing, lol. I don't want to eat those extra calories because the whole point of me doing those exercises was to burn off too much I consumed at breakfast.

Replies

• SkinnyCate
    Options
    At first I ate my exercise calories, but then I saw how much better I would be doing if i didn't! So now I make sure if I do use any of them, its 20 at the MOST. =)
  • rajekred
    Options
    When you first signed up they gave you a total calorie defecit you needed to stay below to lose the amount you wanted at the pace you wanted. This amount would be if you didn't do anything all day other than you're normal activities. This is for those who just want to diet. If you exercise, you earn extra calories you can consume, because you're body is going to need those. Otherwise you would be starving everynight when you went to bed. So go ahead and eat those additional calories worth if you need to, but don't feel you have to.

Good Luck!
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options

Thanks Toots! :wink: So many newbies have that question, don't they?! :wink: :laugh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    No problem, hope that helps! :flowerforyou:
  • gebnpb
    gebnpb Posts: 166
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. If I eat my work out calories I don't see much of a weight loss. But if I don't eat them I do see a loss. If I stop loosing weight I just eat the work out calories for a couple of days then back to not. I need a jump start everyonce in awhile I think. But thats me it may be diff for u!! Hope u find what works best for u!! :happy:
  • SkinnyCate
    Options
    So say I work out and burn 200 calories, I should eat those calories, not leave them alone? I'm definitely not starving myself lol - eggwhite salsa omlette with a piece of weight watchers bread, roast beef sandwich with a pickle and a 100 cal pack of pringles, a banana, lean protein with lots of veggies and some brown rice, something sweet after dinner... and now I should eat MORE because I worked out a little?
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Everyone's not the same, you just need to find out what works for you. Some people get better results eating their exercise calories. Some people get better results not eating them.

Trial and error.
  • CountrySweetheart
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I'm really new to this and don't know my body that well so I'm not going to eat them and see how it goes.
  • connbenn
    Options
    If you're not getting enough calories your body will go into 'starvation mode' and store up any extra calories - burning muscle instead. So if you excercise without eating enough your body won't have the calories it needs to function properly and you're metabolism will slow down, so really you should be eating at lease some of the calories you gained from exercise.
  • SkinnyCate
    Options
    If you're not getting enough calories your body will go into 'starvation mode' and store up any extra calories - burning muscle instead. So if you excercise without eating enough your body won't have the calories it needs to function properly and you're metabolism will slow down, so really you should be eating at lease some of the calories you gained from exercise.

You would burn muscle, not fat? That doesn't seem to make too much sense... then again I am no expert!