dieting dilemma

Options
I am recently diagnosed with 4 herniated discs in my lower back, and i cannot exercise, much less walk for very long. I am struggling to lose weight and was wondering if any of the MFP community had any tips to help me lose weight while basically bed ridden :P I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• drakechic08
    drakechic08 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Focus on your diet. Calculate your RMR while you are bed ridden and make sure you have a calorie deficet through diet. Focus on eating as healthy as possible. If you can manage, do some arm strength excersizes as long as they don't hurt your back. I have been dealing with severe back problems for over a year and they cannot figure out what it is and I understand how hard it is to lose weight when you often times cannot move. I cannot say I was successful at losing weight when I was not working out, I actually gained. I hope you have better luck than I did!
  • WeightLossKing
    Options
    Bed ridden? You've gotten past that recently since you've had your accident. Try low impact exercises like biking, an elliptical, swimming, or even walking short distances regularly. With an elliptical you'll strengthen your abdominal muscles to take the pressure off of your spine, and it helps to practice good posture. After time you can try to work up to something more. Swimming is the best for people with sore backs, because you don't put any weight on your joints or spine. Join the "Y" they have a pool, and use it a lot! Your back should start to feel better from swimming regularly. Note: Don't start taking diet pills. You'll have trouble with high blood pressure and arrhythmia. Of course, before any exercise you'll want to consult your physician first...because you might need physical training. Definitely don't want to try anything that will further injure your already unfortunate situation. - Help from your bro

4425128.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    As someone who has lost a hundred pounds and works out 6 to 9 hours per week, weight loss is 90% nutrition and calorie intake. In the long term, a solid calorie deficit is what loses the weight.

I would imagine your biggest issue is probably going to be boredom-eating - it would be for me if I was bed-ridden. Let your back get better per whatever your doctor says, and focus on control and maintenance on the nutritional end of things.