Eating only what you burn?

2»

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    This is probably the worst idea I've ever read on the forums.

Honestly, I'm impressed.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Luckily, you won't be able to do it for longer than 3-4 days. After which you will binge yourself out of your mind, and calories will balance out if you have a very healthy satiety switch; if you do not, you will eat more than you 'saved' and will gain weight. If you have a willpower of a robot and persist, you will collapse in about 1-3 weeks, depending on how much fat you store. By the end, you will be eating nothing, really, because you will be too lethargic to move.

If you go ahead, you will see how your body works. It's a good learning thing. But it will be dearly bought, because climbing out of a binge is hard.
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Wouldn't do it.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    I think this is an awesome idea..Just burn 2,200 calories on any day you expect to eat.
  • I've been thinking about trying to eat only as many calories as I burn while working out. What do you think or know about that? I wear a heart rate monitor when I work out and use that as my guide for calorie burn.
    The simplest way to explain this: If you eat ONLY what you burn, then your net consumption is 0. As a result, you're more or less eating NOTHING.
  • dcat4563
    dcat4563 Posts: 33 Member
    I have to agree with everyone else - bad idea. the point of mfp is to keep your intake lower than what your body burns off daily.

it calculates an average of calories burned daily doing your daily routine. if you eat the number of calories the mfp tells you to you are already burning off everything you eat plus some and you don't have to take it to extremes.

If you are exercising, I would suggest eating back at least part of those calories as well, or you will not be able to fuel your body and sustain your workouts.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Sense. Your idea makes none.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Glad you're not planning to actually do this. :smile:

If you're looking for some direction on how many calories you should be eating, check out this topic: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Food is fuel!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Let us know what hospital to send the cards to. If you keep that up for long that's where you'll be.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    This is great. Eat only what you burn ... including what you burn living, breathing, etc. It's called your BMR.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    sounds like exercise bulimia to me
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Thanks for the feedback - it was just a random thought I had this morning after working out. No worries - I'm not up for self destruction or anything like that. :-) Thanks for the feedback!
    Wow. Someone asked for an opinion...and then thanked people for the opinion.
    The little things in life. :)
    I actually had the same idea before I started learning about nutrition.

P.s. I wonder if the people commenting even read your reply?