Vacation drop out...am I wrong?

Options
trtmom
trtmom Posts: 76 Member
This is totally off the diet subject but has been eating at me for a week. I would post this on facebook, but that would stir up a lot of crap!

Here's my story. Back in January I decided I wanted to take a "girls" vacation to Cancun. My and 4 of my friends decided to book a vacation. Everyone agreed we wouldn't spend more than $1000 per person for a week long all inclusive. We've been making our payments since April and our final payment is due on October 10th. Last week while I was reminding everyone to make their final payments, one of the girls decides she isn't going to go now. The only thing she has paid was her $200 deposit.

Because of this, the rest of us had a price increase of $130 each. We all felt that because she dropped out of the vacation with less than 2 weeks to pay, that she should be responsible for that extra charge. After all, EVERYONE was asked if they were absolutely positive about going BEFORE we booked. She of course went all off the handle saying mean things and doesn't think we are being fair. ARE WE??

She's a single girl with no children and lives with her mom so $130 isn't much to her. But to the rest of us, who all have children and a mortgage, car payment, etc. $130 is alot.

I'm just so confused as to what I should do in this situation. HELP!

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    This is totally off the diet subject but has been eating at me for a week. I would post this on facebook, but that would stir up a lot of crap!

Here's my story. Back in January I decided I wanted to take a "girls" vacation to Cancun. My and 4 of my friends decided to book a vacation. Everyone agreed we wouldn't spend more than $1000 per person for a week long all inclusive. We've been making our payments since April and our final payment is due on October 10th. Last week while I was reminding everyone to make their final payments, one of the girls decides she isn't going to go now. The only thing she has paid was her $200 deposit.

Because of this, the rest of us had a price increase of $130 each. We all felt that because she dropped out of the vacation with less than 2 weeks to pay, that she should be responsible for that extra charge. After all, EVERYONE was asked if they were absolutely positive about going BEFORE we booked. She of course went all off the handle saying mean things and doesn't think we are being fair. ARE WE??

She's a single girl with no children and lives with her mom so $130 isn't much to her. But to the rest of us, who all have children and a mortgage, car payment, etc. $130 is alot.

I'm just so confused as to what I should do in this situation. HELP!

If I pay the balance, can I "bunk" with you gals?
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

1 - Unless you have exclusive access to her bank accounts/income you have NO IDEA what she may be paying for. It's unfair of you to assume that because she's living at home and with no children that she has money to throw around.

2 - This is a issue that arises with group trips. I would fork over the $130 additional and I wouldn't be seeking another trip with her. Unless she has a very good excuse (IE: I'm in the hospital, my mother is in the hospital etc), then I wouldn't plan another trip with her.
  • sizzle92
    sizzle92 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I feel she should pay, yes.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    She owes you all that money.

I also agree with this since you can't really force her:
    2 - This is a issue that arises with group trips. I would fork over the $130 additional and I wouldn't be seeking another trip with her. Unless she has a very good excuse (IE: I'm in the hospital, my mother is in the hospital etc), then I wouldn't plan another trip with her.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I went through this 3 years ago. With a family member. It was a trip to Puerto Vallarta and she backed out. Cost me $1200. I paid it and put it behind me. My relationship with this person is more important than $1200.
  • FitnFabMichelle
    FitnFabMichelle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think it's completely fair. I had a friend drop out of my birthday trip at the last minute and she knew by doing so it bumped up all the rest of our hotel costs and she paid her share anyway. It was the right thing to do.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Group trips are really problematic on so many levels. I stopped travelling with the girls, for this very reason. I make my own plans, and if anyone wants to come along, they make their own plans.

The friend surely knows that this is going to affect the friendships with all of you. But have fun in Cancun! Don't spend time on vacation mulling this over and talking about her. That will take some of the fun out. Send her a postcard :wink:
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    yes, she should cover the extra cost
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Well... I've been bitten in the *kitten* too many times myself with people not paying and me putting things on my credit card... From now on... even if it costs a few bucks more... If I'm going with a group I ALWAYS go through a travel agent. (helps that I'm related to one)... Everyone pays for their own installments on their own credit cards, and if they decided last minute not to go... sucks to be them... they are just out what they have already put down, and then no one else has to pay the difference.

I think it is completely reasonable to expect her to pay the difference... After all, if she hadn't backed out last minute you guys wouldn't be in this situation... Good luck getting that money though... Just for future referance though... NEVER put anyone else's payment on your credit card unless you KNOW that they will pay you back on time no matter what... Sorry about your situation... but hope you still have a great time!
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    How important is your relationship to you? Is it worth 130$?
    It sucks, but it happens- move on or disown her, pretty much your only options.
    I would be pissed, like way pissed but I can guarantee she more than likely will not think she is responsible for this extra money and it will cause big time animosity.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Well I think she should pay... if it was me I would have whether I went or not. But if she is a good friend you have to decide if you want to possibly lose her over this!

Next time make it known that if someone backs out they pay!!
  • Starleng
    Starleng Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    She should pay, but she won't. Don't ruin your trip. Pay it, have fun, and remember not to make any more plans with her.
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options

1 - Unless you have exclusive access to her bank accounts/income you have NO IDEA what she may be paying for. It's unfair of you to assume that because she's living at home and with no children that she has money to throw around.

shes right, ^^
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    whether you think it's fair or not and whether you think she should pay it or not......

doesn't really matter....

you wanna go? you pay the difference....

and there's VERY little you can do to force her to pay you the difference....short of a bat and her knees...

so I would suck it up, move on, pay the difference and NEVER invite her again...

simple.
  • trtmom
    trtmom Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    . Send her a postcard :wink:

LOVE THIS
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    $130 each? so like another $390 for her? Plus the deposit she lost? She might as well go..... she may have dropped out because something came up and now she really can't afford it, which might be why she's freaking out about that extra money. Personally if I were her I'd feel obligated to pay it so that my friends didn't have to pick it up (it's not your guys' fault she bailed after all) but I'm not sure I'd end the friendship over it, just don't make big plans with her anymore..... and maybe see if there's something going on with her that you can be supportive of? Hopefully she's OK........
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Even if you feel as if she should pay, how are you going to force her to since she only paid the $200.00 deposit anyway? I agree that you should just pay the extra charge and enjoy your vacation.
  • 0Karina0
    0Karina0 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    That was a b.itch move, but i dont really think she should pay if she is not going, is not really fair, is not like she is taking the $200 she already paid back right?

Anyway what she did was pretty mean, but being forced to pay so much for a vacation she is not even going to take?? come on girl.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My mother backed out on a trip to Ireland I was paying for - stuck me with flights from the U.S., etc. It cost me thousands to pay fees, rebook dates etc. I think I spend $7K more than I had intended when all was said and done. But that's my mom and I had to let it go....

Don't try to make her pay - that way lies bitterness and regret. Just don't ask her to go on another trip.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

I totally agree with this. You don't know what her situation is or how much expendable income she has. I had a lot less available to me when I was single than I do now that I am married because there are at least two incomes and savings that I have access to. For all you know, she may be loading all of her available income into paying off debt, or saving for her own place, or she may be blowing it on partying because she doesn't feel like she has to save it. When I was single, I didn't have savings and was lucky to make it to payday without overdrawing each and every time.

Now, it is totally not cool of her to make the commitment and back out (all future invites revoked), but perhaps she thought she would be able to save up the money to go? If she doesn't have the money to go, she probably doesn't have the money to take care of the difference.