KASHI CALORIE RE-COUNT

Options
Hi everyone!
Kashi has just re-calculated the calorie count on their Organic Flakes with Berries cereal. Previously it was 120 calories per cup (and is still currently reflected that way on all the online databases).

But I noticed this weekend, they had re-sized their boxes and re-calculated the calories, which has almost doubled for the same serving size (one cup). Now, one cup of the Flakes with Berries cereal is 210 calories.

I phoned Kashi this morning and they confirmed they did a recalculation and found that their product had more calories.

Anyone else totally disappointed by this information? I feel a little misled and probably won't be eating that cereal anymore.

We should try to flood the My Fitness Pal database with the correct info because it still has the old calorie count for this product.

Replies

• Culley34
    Culley34 Posts: 224
    Options
    On my box - it says 120 calories for 3/4 of a cup. Also, I eat the Heart to Heart® Cereal - Honey Toasted Oat.

I'm 50/50 on their products. I like the cereals but their granola bars taste like cardboard.
  • brittnicoledav
    Options
    ive never had it before, but now i never will. whether they meant to or not, that is a big error.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    That is quite the miscalculation. More than the normal allotment they are allowed. I think the FDA allows for 20% off either direction. Wonder what prompted them to double check.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    wow....that would totally piss me off. i eat the go lean, not that particular cereal you mentioned, but now i'm skeptical of all of their labels. i mean...i eat it every day. if it were off my 100 calories, i'd be so mad!!!!

how did you find out?? just happened to notice it on the box?
  • callmesamara
    callmesamara Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify everyone - it's a Canadian product. I believe it's American counterpart is the Strawberry Fields. I'm not sure if they recalculated that product or changed the box at all but you might want to check if you eat it regularly.

Yup - it really did piss me off. I actually dropped everything and phoned Kashi right away but they were closed (it was on the weekend). It made me mad because I count calories pretty religiously in my attempts to lose weight and the fact that this product was off by so much - it undermined all my hard work.

Because I use MyFitnessPal so often, I've memorized a lot of the calorie counts in the items I eat frequently - Kashi Flakes with Berries being one of them.

With the new packaging, I happened to glance at the Nutritional label and noticed the different calorie count right away. It was such a big difference, I felt everyone should know. I will add the new label into this system in the next few days.