Does it matter what I eat after a workout

Options
2»

Replies

• WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    638c0fc3-9a34-4739-a352-249c008a0c07.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNND Acg67 wins the thread :drinker:
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I always have a protein shake after my workouts ..helps the muscles :wink:

That's great that you prefer that. Me too. But the question is how critical is the timing. See posts above.

I have mine as soon as I stop panting :laugh:
    Seriously I drink it about 10 minutes after my workout
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I would eat some good quality carbs. By that I mean whole wheat, not refined/enriched stuff. You muscles will need the fuel after a workout and whole grain carbs are great because not only are they needed after your workout the extra fiber will help you stay full and there's protein in them too. So, you could have like spaghetti and soem sort of lean meat, or eggs and wheat toast, or oatmeal and greek yogurt.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

That's great that you prefer that. Me too. But the question is how critical is the timing. See posts above.

I have mine as soon as I stop panting :laugh:
    Seriously I drink it about 10 minutes after my workout

If that works for you that is great! As the quoted info from alan Aragon above indicates, while that is your preference is is not critical to intake nutrition in a short window after a workout.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree with mmapags and the Alan Aragon links. It's just common sense if you actually think about how our bodies process and use the food we eat (it's not instantaneous), and about how muscle repair happens over at least a 24 hour time frame (that's why we take rest days). And we do not need to drink protein shakes if we are getting just as much protein from any source we choose to eat or drink. There is nothing magical about isolating whey protein. Greek yogurt has just as much protein, for example.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I actually make it before my workout and have about 1/4 of it (just to have something in my tummy at 6am) then drink the rest after I get back.
    (or eat a big of my greek yogurt/PB/chia and the rest when I get back...)