5'2" or 5'3" ladies! what calorie targets worked for you?

Options

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I"m 5'4. 1200 and eat my exercise calories back...........
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    When I logged it was 1650 cals for maintenance.......& about 1200-1300 if I wanted to lose weight.

This works for me too(: I'm 5'1"
  • Solila
    Solila Posts: 1
    Options
    5'3, 135 lb and 2,000-2,200 calories for slow, steady weight loss. Normal frame and body fat about 25%. I'm in no rush if it's going to be gone forever. I went down to 125 lb last year in a few months by eating too little (1500-1800) so I put it all back on quickly. Pointless. I do pilates once a week, and try to run twice a week at least.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I can lose like a champ @ 1700-1800
  • megannicolex33
    Options
    I'm 5'3. I've been playing with my calories for a while now, trying to find the perfect amount for me to lose weight. I was at 1200 for months, lost 33 pounds, then plateaued in the beginning of June. I upped my calories to 1500 for all of July, still no change. Upped again to maintenance, which was about 1900, and maintained for the whole month of August. On September 1st, I dropped back down to 1500 and started a new exercise program. Ended up gaining 5 pounds and not losing any inches either. So now I'm set at 1200-1300. I'm going to try this for a while and see if there's any change. I was trying the whole, "eat more to weigh less" thing, and yeah... didn't work for me. Everyone is different I suppose. I'm hoping that my new plan will FINALLY get me out of this ridiculously frustrating plateau!
  • SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2", female, and 24 years old, and 165 pounds. I aim for around 1,600-1,700 a day, total. That seems to be working for me. My weight loss isn't lightning fast, but it's going. If I lower my cals under 1,500 I tend to stall, so I just keep it at 1,600-1,700ish.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Completely depends on your activity level. Im 5ft3 and eat 2000 just to lose weight. I am losing too fast so I'm increasing to 2200
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2.5". I have had my target set at 1200 and have been losing weight steadily. I just upped it to 1368, based on this post. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

This ^^^^^^^!!

I was 1200 and had to move to 1750 to start the movement again on the scale. (5'3", currently 132 pounds - began at 197 pounds)
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and I aim for anywhere between 1200-1600 a day.
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and eat between 1200-1300. I have tried upping my calories but I saw no loss with that.
  • meangreen11
    meangreen11 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    5'3 1/2" female, 51 years young and less than a pound from my goal of 125. Started at 144 on MFP, but had lost more than 5 pounds before that.

I have kept my daily calorie goal at 1200-1250, but always have a few days a week that I go over and don't worry about it. My weekly net is always a deficit so I don't worry about daily net (over or under) so much.

I did not experience a slow down as I approached goal at all. One day I gained 1 lb. on weigh in day, but the next day had dropped 2 lbs. so really lost that week as well.

I walk at a moderate rate x 3 weeks, ride horses 3-4 days a week and try to fit 30DS in at least 2-3 times a week.

My October goal is to not worry about the last little bit of the lbs., but to do enough JM to take 1" off my waistline. Firming up and building muscle is important to me so maintenance will be successful.
  • spedabstbit
    spedabstbit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I think it's plain to see, even from this thread, that everybody is different somehow, and you'll have to find what works for you!

My experience has been this: I'm 5'2". I started at 165, and after 6 months, I'm down to 132 - so that's about 33 pounds. I'd like to lose another 7 or so - down to the mid-120's. My original goal was set at 1200 a day. I go for a range, though. I want to be taking in 1100-1300 daily. It's not totally unusual for me to have a 1000-1050 day, but I also go over by a few calories occasionally, so it's no problem to say my weekly average is well within range. I try to get some physical activity in daily, usually a T-Tapp program, but once or twice a week I'll substitute walking a couple of miles. That's enough to tone and trim and strengthen, but it's not a major calorie burner, so I don't eat back my exercise calories.
  • twostepsforward
    twostepsforward Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well thanks everyone, its now as clear as mud! Ha ha!

Seriously though, it is really interesting to hear everyone's experiences and it just shows I will have to experiment. I may pick up my numbers from the 'in place of a road map' entry and test that out for a while to see how it goes then move up or down slightly to get it right.

Thanks for your input!
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I guess if I could stay at 1200 I would lose. How do you stay at 1200 in a day- what is a typical day for you?
    my diary's open.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have not read any other post so if I say something that may be a duplicate I am sorry.... I am 5' 2.5" and I began my journey when I was @ 235. I was on a1200 calorie a day "diet". This did wonders for me at first. I lost quickly...but then hit a plateau. I have been struggling to get of it for several months. I have lost a wee bit here and there but nothing significant. I now eat 1800 calories (or try to) and have been able to lose with that amount. I don't go over that limit but some days are under. I have not found the exact amount that works for me and you may be the same way. You just need to "play around" with it and find out what that magic number is for you. I will say that any change you do give it a full month before changing again. And if you increase your calories be prepared to gain before you see lost. I did see an increase when I went to the 1800 but then lost some too. NOW I am stuck again. But I keep moving forward and know that the scale will change again! Good luck to you!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Well thanks everyone, its now as clear as mud! Ha ha!

Seriously though, it is really interesting to hear everyone's experiences and it just shows I will have to experiment. I may pick up my numbers from the 'in place of a road map' entry and test that out for a while to see how it goes then move up or down slightly to get it right.

Thanks for your input!

LO it really does show we are all different - just don't forget that if you do change your cals /exercise etc give it a good month before you decide it's not working. Sometimes the body is funny, in that you will gain in the first week or two then drop back and start losing. Good luck :flowerforyou:

Edit - ha ha snap Hummingbird :bigsmile:
  • kimberliiw
    kimberliiw Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It is interesting to see all the different setpoints that are successful. I'm 5'2", 147.6 lbs, 54 yo and have lost 4.6 lbs in 4 weeks on 1350 cal goal. I eat back about half of my exercise.
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and currently eating at TDEE to build muscle. At the moment I'm using my BMF to determine TDEE so every day this number will be slightly different. Currently sitting around the 2100 mark, but rest days will be much lower as I have a desk job.

Good cut number for me however is around 1850, but don't want to cut again for a couple/few weeks. Want to give my body a break from it and feed my muscles :smile:
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I started at 1,600 calories a day with a 50% carb, 30% protein and 20% fat ratio. I started at 5'4" and 151. When I got to my target weight I bumped it up to 1,800 calories and stuck to a 50/25/25 ratio. In the past I have tried the 1,200 calorie thing and it didn't work for me. I work well with at least 1,600 calories.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and I've been eating about 1,600 calories a day. I eat back my exercise calories and work out 6 days a week running, pilates and dancing. My loss has started to stall, but I'm going to give it a few weeks before I make any adjustments.

Started at 169. Now at 151. 11 pounds from goal. I figured it would get tricky from here to 140.