Help! Newly wed who is clueless on 'eating clean'..

Options
124»

Replies

• erindh87
    Options
    Bump!
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Laurel's Kitchen - it's an old print vegetarian book but very readable and has some fantastic suggestions. One of my favorite sandwich spreads is mixing cooked / mashed green split peas with some sunflower seeds. Spread this on hearty whole grain bread and add some lettuce and tomato. Wow - it's good. The soups and stews are fantastic. Another suggestion is the Moosewood Restaurant cookbook series. Agree on Flat Belly Cure diet book.

I just made up a bunch of homemade chicken stock last night - I freeze leftover chicken bones, potato peelings, carrot peelings, onion (but not the brown outside shell), celery tops, etc. When I get enough freezer bags to make up a few quarts, I cook them down for about an hour in a big pot and pour the liquid through a colandar lined with cheesecloth. It freezes well. Lower sodium and very flavorful. Careful with leftover beet peelings or red cabbage - unless you like the red / purple color.
  • Dormouse85
    Options
    Hi! I've messaged you, but would like to add for anyone else who's interested how much I love the Hairy Dieters book - it's taken the UK by storm, knocking Fifty Shades of Grey off the No1 bestseller spot! It's good simple food, low cal/high taste.

You can find some of the recipes here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/search?programmes[]=p00vq8c6)

These guys rock!!

Edited to add: altho Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals gives some great recipes, they're not 30 minutes to make! Don't kid yourself!!
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    This is one of the only ways I can get my husband to eat chicken and not complain about it.... :tongue:

Crockpot cheesey chicken chili

1 can black beans
    1 can corn, undrained
    1 can Rotel, undrained (I use 2 cans and the kind with green chilis)
    1 package Hidden Valley dry ranch dressing mix
    1 tsp cumin
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 8 oz package light cream cheese (I used 8 oz 1/3 less fat)
    2 chicken breasts (I used 3 breasts)

Drain and rinse black beans. Place chicken at bottom of pot, then pour out whole can of corn (undrained), rotel, and black beans. Top with seasonings and ranch mix. Stir together. Place cream cheese on top. Cover with lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir cream cheese into chili. Use 2 forks to shred chicken. Stir together and serve. (We add some Franks Red Hot to give it some spice!)

http://www.plainchicken.com/2012/01/slow-cooker-cream-cheese-chicken-chili.html

For the specific ingredients I used, the breakdown is: 216 calories, 7 fat, 20 protein, 18 carbs, 646 sodium and 7 sugar PER 1 measuring cup.

This is now one of my new favorite comfort foods...

Yum!
  • bub_snig
    Options
    I went through and threw out every piece of crap food in the pantry, fridge and freezer, then started fresh. That way I had no temptations. When ever I pass tempting food I say to myself my little mantra "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" and it gets me through.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    For me, its fresh veggies (or frozen but without the sauces, etc), fresh proteins (nothing packaged like preseasoned meats), and I try to limit my processed foods, like pasta or bread, unless I make it myself, then its GAME ON!
  • lesliethescrivener
    Options
    Check out skinnytaste.com. I use her recipes ALL OF THE TIME! I also use skinnyms.com. We have been eating mostly clean for a while now and I have to cook for a 3 year old as well so it has to be somewhat kid-friendly. These sites are wonderful resources. I don't buy everything organic. I try to buy what's in season and I stick to the perimeter of the store for most of our food. I use my crockpot at least once a week. Good luck!

OMG YES! i love that website! her recipes are awesome.
  • emmarie1630
    emmarie1630 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    First of all, good for you for taking the first step! Getting started, being aware and wanting to make healthy choices is the hardest part. I read several of the responses and it looks like you've already got some great advice and a good place to start.

I don't know if someone has already mentioned this, so I'm sorry if this is repetitive but Eat This Not That has a "super market survival guide" book (actually I think they make a new edition each year) and it has lots of great tips and information on how to read nutrition labels, how to incorporate healthy items in your daily diet/recipes, healthier brand suggestions and recipes as well. Definitely worth a look.

And most importantly once you get going, don't give up! I've been married for a little over a year now and I know right after the wedding my husband and I both pretty much fell off the wagon with staying aware and making the best choices. You can do it! :)
  • fanomy
    fanomy Posts: 10
    Options
    The secret is the spices. if you play with them You can have the same dish & it'll be new every time.

Also, remember the KISS principle. If you don't need it pretty, (I don't, but some do.) then just make a stue(sp?). Some complex carb(out-meal to thicken it, lentil/barley/brown rice-the list goes on).

Protein(tuna/ diced chicken breast/shrimps- basically any animal protein with low fat.).

Tomato paste/out-meal to so it's less soup- more stue.

Hope this helps.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump