I need sleep help!

Options
2»

Replies

• nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I take Melatonin when I can't sleep. Works like a charm. My fitbit still reads movement but I toss and turn a lot. But at least I'm asleep.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I find exercise in the fresh air really helps! Also, NOT watching TV in bed OR online right before going to bed. I heard the screen brightness or whatever, affects you.

try turning on a small lamp and reading - something fun and get your mind off work/life/stress etc. I try for 15-30 minutes of reading a night.

watch the caffeine too.

Chamomile Tea is supposed to work. Works well for me.

Meditation? I don't do it - but heard it works
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Yoga about 90 minutes before bedtime, Benedryl if I know I can sleep 8 full hours--Valerian Root if not, no TV or computer at least 30 minuets before bedtime.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    Limit your tv, computer, and smartphone time several hours before bed, the blue light could be affecting you.

Try sleeping in complete darkness. I got a contoured sleep mask so I can still open my eyes and blink. The older I get, apparently the more sensitive to light I've become and there are light sources everywhere- the tv, dvd player, and satellite box all have standby lights, digital clock light, neighbor's security lights bleed through and around drapes and blinds, even the indicator light on smoke detectors all add up. The sleep mask was much easier to block out everything than trying to block all those individual light sources.

As far as supplements, I would recommend melatonin and/or magnesium. They are pretty inexpensive and are helpful in a lot of cases.
  • tipadoo
    tipadoo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    melatonin is the best invention EVER for those of us that cannot get to sleep
  • redrdghood40
    redrdghood40 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed with your doctor? Not sure how old you are but I had this issue when my progesterone was low.
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor today for melatonin, but she said she is not able to give it me :(
    But I will try some of the other suggestions if i can find them in the UK, thanks x
  • tiggersstar
    tiggersstar Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Clicked my discussions and found this. It's funny and not funny at the same time to read this. 2012 to 2015, I still have issues with sleep!