Weight machine question

Options
I just joined our newly opened town wellness center. I know how to use all the cardio machines but the weights have me kinda confused. There are a bunch of machines, propably 10 or so, some arms, some legs. I can pretty much figure out how to use them, some have pictures, but not sure what exactly I should be doing. How, heavy, how many times, how often, all at once or maybe arms one day legs another. Same day as cardio or not, just not sure how to procede. Just makes me kinda nervous and dont want to look stupid! It is just a very low cost, 24-hr type of place so there isnt anyone there to instruct. All help is greatly appreciated. Also, I am a 47 year old female, just looking for a little more tone.

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    The best machine is YOU. Do they have a power rack/squat rack?
  • Brengild
    Brengild Posts: 127
    Options
    Not sure what that is.
  • chsmith79
    chsmith79 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The best machine is YOU. Do they have a power rack/squat rack?

I agree the best machine is you!
    If they don't have this with a bar and freeweights, look for dumbells. You can do most of the same workouts with dumbells as free weights. A lot of these types of places have mostly machines with a few dumbells on racks.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I really recommend asking for some assistance from the gym staff - get them to do a plan for you based on the goals you want to achieve and they'll show you the correct form for all the exercises. Youtube is good too if you're not sure how to do something. It'll be such a waste though if you just give it a go without some expert input, you probably won't achieve much and get disillusioned. The payoff from lifting is really worth the effort, as long as you know what you're doing.