How demanding is marathon training??

Options

Replies

• Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Why not start with a half and go from there? You get "half" the idea for the amount of time it will take and the toll it will take on your body.

I just completed my first half 2 weeks ago, and I am running another half in 2 weeks. Already contemplating the full...

Oh my my my my my...

Well, this seems like a good a time as any to start bursting bubbles. If you think, for one minute, that running a full marathon is the equivalent of running two half marathons, back to back? Oh Dear God In Heaven are you in for some serious hurting. There is simply no comparing the two distances. Running a half marathon is fun and exciting and joyful and a big happy party. Running a marathon is fun the first half, then the second half is like having people kick and hit you as you pass them by. It's gritty and painful and stabbing and throbbing and lonely - oh so lonely - and emotional. It's everything a half marathon IS NOT. A marathon is all about the guts to keep going when all you want to do is quit and go home. It's about feeling uncomfortable, hot, cold, chaffed, exhausted, and defeated for hours on end, and STILL going forward through all of that. Marathoning is about reaching a state of pain and exhaustion and not stopping anyway. It's a dark beauty. And as harsh as this paragraph sounds, it is beautiful. But if you don't - or can't - appreciate the intensity of the physical and/or emotional toll it will take, then you're in serious trouble from your first training day.

Yes.
    You put the demand into words that I could not, thank you.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    During my last marathon, there was a younger guy chatting me and my running partner up miles 8-13. He had told us it was his first full marathon and we had talked about training, etc. He said he did a half marathon during training in 1:40 something (low). When we crossed the 13.1 line, his friends, who were right behind us, said "Half way there". He chimed in and said he was feeling good. Running partner and I looked at each other, smiled and gently informed him that the halfway point is more like 20 miles! We promptly dropped him at 15 and never saw him again. I can't say I hated besting a guy 12 years my junior :)

Love this. :happy:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I’ve never trained for a full marathon but both time I did half marathon training I compared it to having a part time job on top of my regular job. I was having trouble getting a decent night’s sleep because between work, training, prepping food for dinners, lunches, breakfasts, etc., trying to spend some time with my husband, and attempting to keep the house in a decent state (in never worked, we had a weeks worth of cleaning to do after each training period), I was lucky if I was getting to bed before midnight each night.

I was talking to a friend of mine that has her second half marathon coming up on Sunday and she felt the same way. We both used to do theater years ago and my husband (who still does theater) asked if she was ever thinking about coming back. And she said that she’s barely able to balance her job and the race training, already having missed a number of weeknight runs due to her new work schedule, that she couldn’t even imagine trying to fit theater in.

So the answer is that it’s a pretty big commitment, and it would be even more for a full marathon. Honestly, as much as I love the races themselves, I’ve “retired” from my racing because I was just so tired of being…well, so tired and so busy all the time.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I don't want to sound like it's something you shouldn't do, but be realistic. If running a 5k is the next step in front of you then concentrate on that and just move forward from there.

This.

Also - I am in training for my first marathon. I love it but its taken over my life. I don't mind (in fact I am really enjoying it) but other than work (40 hours a week) pretty much all I do is train, eat or rest/sleep. I go to bed early and wake up early. I don't go out on friday nights and my Saturdays are almost completely devoted to my long run and then recovery from long run.

Short and mid-distance running is a completely diffrent animal than long distance running. It's great that you are motivated and exicited about running but at this point it seems a bit premature to be aiming for a marathon.
  • trunkfish
    trunkfish Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Buy the book Running Made Easy written by 2 female long-distance runners. It's got training plans for 5K, 10K, half and full marathons and loads of contributions from other runners. Very supportive and inspirational, with tips on nutrition, injuries, clothing, safety while out running - the whole caboodle.

One of the best tips I've found, especially if you're short on time, is to run all or part of the way to work (and/or back) depending on how far away your work is. Because why drive somewhere or take public transport, only to come home and go out running?

Good luck. :happy:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    If you are only doing C25K now, plan on this being a goal for several months from now. Its only common sense... if it takes you 10 weeks to do C25K... a marathon is about 8 times as far. To do it safely, and build properly... take your time.

That being said, I went and did my first marathon 11 months after I started running. In hindsight, I would have run a few 5K's, and then a few 10K's and then a few half marathons before tackling the Full Marathon. I would have felt better prepared for the event.

Some things to consider;

1. Plan for Rest. If you never rest, you never recover. Recovery is an important concept in building muscle and endurance. Plan at least 1-2 rest days per week.

2. Running is largely about adaptation. The most successful runners in the world, didn't just wake up one morning, decide to take up running and go win an Olympic Gold Medal. Olympic athletes train for 4 years to run one event. Remember that it takes time to prepare and adapt your body for an endurance event.

3. Build your mileage by approximately 10% per week. If you ran 10 miles last week... run 11 this week. Marathon courses are littered with the bodies of people who ignored this. This applies to almost all runners, especially the novice ones.

4. Plan for Success with a Successful plan. Find a mainstream plan that is appropriate for your stage of adaptation and stick with it. Plans by people like Hal Higdon, Jeff Galloway, John Stanton (Running Room) are popular because they work. Failing to plan is planning to fail.

5. Pay attention to your body. I was speaking with a Team Canada trainer earlier in the summer... he says that Elite Athletes stop at the first sign of trouble. They don't try to run thru an injury. They see their trainer/physio/doctor at the beginning of an issue not the end. These are Elites... as recreational runners, perhaps we should follow their lead?

Running a Marathon is a great goal. An even better one is to do it wisely and without injury. Good Luck!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Why the rush?

Yes, you can find many people who started running with the idea to do a marathon within their first year of running and made it through and are glad they did. And finding those people will make you think it's a reasonable thing to do.

What you won't intuitively realize is that for every person who made it from couch to marathon, there are many more who started with that goal, and either got injured, or overtrained, or were simply mentally unprepared and never made the starting line. Most of those could have run a successful marathon if they had simply accepted that to do the marathon well they needed to build up to it over a more sensible period of time. And there are lots of one marathon former runners who found it a living hell and it crushed their desire to ever run again because they tried to do it to soon and were unprepared.

The marathon is a great goal to have. I'm not trying to discourage that. i am trying to encourage you getting there in the way that makes success likely, and not a matter of beating statistics.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to come back and say one thing... I don't want to discourage you or accuse you. But the mindset of "what's the minimum amount of effort I can put in and still accomplish this goal?" is not an approach that is compatible with running a marathon.

If you haven't even run a 5k yet, you are setting your sights on a marathon but worried about the amount of time and effort involved, you're doing it just for the sake of being able to say you did it... Not because you're going to find the training rewarding in itself.

You can be a serious runner, and you can be a GREAT runner, without running marathons.
  • redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options

During my last marathon, there was a younger guy chatting me and my running partner up miles 8-13. He had told us it was his first full marathon and we had talked about training, etc. He said he did a half marathon during training in 1:40 something (low). When we crossed the 13.1 line, his friends, who were right behind us, said "Half way there". He chimed in and said he was feeling good. Running partner and I looked at each other, smiled and gently informed him that the halfway point is more like 20 miles! We promptly dropped him at 15 and never saw him again. I can't say I hated besting a guy 12 years my junior :)

As someone who just did her first 20 mile training run for her 1st full marathon - I am shaking in my boots! Oh dear lord! Let me just cross that finish line!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options

Oh my my my my my...

Well, this seems like a good a time as any to start bursting bubbles. If you think, for one minute, that running a full marathon is the equivalent of running two half marathons, back to back? Oh Dear God In Heaven are you in for some serious hurting. There is simply no comparing the two distances. Running a half marathon is fun and exciting and joyful and a big happy party. Running a marathon is fun the first half, then the second half is like having people kick and hit you as you pass them by. It's gritty and painful and stabbing and throbbing and lonely - oh so lonely - and emotional. It's everything a half marathon IS NOT. A marathon is all about the guts to keep going when all you want to do is quit and go home. It's about feeling uncomfortable, hot, cold, chaffed, exhausted, and defeated for hours on end, and STILL going forward through all of that. Marathoning is about reaching a state of pain and exhaustion and not stopping anyway. It's a dark beauty. And as harsh as this paragraph sounds, it is beautiful. But if you don't - or can't - appreciate the intensity of the physical and/or emotional toll it will take, then you're in serious trouble from your first training day.

I think...<sniff, sniff> I just teared up a little....
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    suuuuuuuuuuuuuper easy.

3 runs a week and eat lots of ice cream.

If you can do a 5k, you can do a marathon.
  • jnerdin
    jnerdin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    1. Finish the C25K program by running the 5K, or multiple 5Ks.
    2. Train for and run one or more 10Ks.
    3. Train for and run one or more half marathons.
    4. Then...start to think about running a marathon.

There are a lot of reasons to take a gradual approach, including avoiding injury, preventing burn-out or discouragement. You can really get hooked on running and find a lot of fun and fitness in the process, but there is not point in rushing it.
  • tfonz10
    tfonz10 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did not read all of the responses but I would suggest starting with a half marathon first before even considering a marathon. I am currently training for my third and starting to get into the higher mileage. I remember with my second I would be worthless for a couple hours afterward and had to give my legs a break. After my rest and refueling I was good to go for the day. I was also in really good shape at the time. I am hoping now that I am in even better shape now I will not need that rest period, we will see. Good luck!
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    just remember, the guy who ran the first one dropped dead upon completion...that's all I need to know...

Phidippides didn't train for it, and that makes a big difference.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As a spouse of a runner, it takes a lot of time. You won't be much help around the house - especially on those "long run" days, which was usually Saturdays for us. He only did a half, and it was still hard (we have three little ones and we both work full time). The weekends are the only time I have to get anything done! So, until further notice, he can not train for a full for another three years - that way he can do one before he's 40, but the kids will be a little older and not so "needy". Make sure your family is behind you on it - it takes a lot of support from your support system.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Oh my my my my my...

This is just beautiful. Thank you!
  • mrpurdy
    mrpurdy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Oh my my my my my...

No need to be condescending!

I don't have any misconception that a half marathon is "half" as easy, but for a slow runner like me, it's realistic to say it would take me approximately half the time (to finish, anyway). I have the bug, and I would like to train for a full before I have children.

I was merely suggesting that the OP start there to get an idea of the training committment, physical toll, and endurance.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't have any misconception that a half marathon is "half" as easy, but for a slow runner like me, it's realistic to say it would take me approximately half the time (to finish, anyway). I have the bug, and I would like to train for a full before I have children.
    Good for you for giving it a shot and congrats on your first half. You are right that pre-kids is a good time to give it a go!
    I'm sure you can do a full once you train.
    Just FYI though I wouldn't assume that the full will take approx. twice as long as the half, more like 2.5-3 times as long for first full, if you train just to finish (though obviously you could improve upon that greatly if you give yourself longer to train and significantly improve your fitness).
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Why not start with a half and go from there? You get "half" the idea for the amount of time it will take and the toll it will take on your body.

I just completed my first half 2 weeks ago, and I am running another half in 2 weeks. Already contemplating the full...

Oh my my my my my...

You're not a salesman, are you?
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    The fun of the marathon is that is a punishing and unforgiving distance. It is very demanding, and that is the allure. Your body burns through all the stored glycogen and shifts to burning mostly fat and whatever can be absorbed from the gatoraid and gel, and you have to get used to that transition. If you train properly then you will have long runs every week, and you will be tired after completing them. Of course, while challenging, it is also a very achievable goal for many or most people if they take on the training. The next challenge is to run the next one faster, so the challenge continues.