Weight gain

Options
I've been on MFP for one week. I weighed myself today and I'm 139 (4 pounds more than when I started) I know weight can go up and down through out the day. But this was at the gym after my workout and all I had was oatmeal for breakfast! I'm feeling alittle down about it. My husband says since I've just started, my weight may go up and down alot for a few weeks. And he thinks I'm building muscle since I'm doing alot of lower body cardio exercises.

Guess I'll just keep with it, just not that happy about it right now. My food diary is public if you wish to give me any tips. I'm open to all the help I can get.

Replies

• erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    If you've just started working out regularly then your muscles may well be holding on to extra water as they are not used to being used. This will sort itself out over time, once your body becomes used to exercising. Are you also tracking your sodium levels? I find on days where my sodium is higher, I retain water for a few days. I also retain 4 or so pounds of water around my period. It could be any number of things! A week is not long enough to see if your new routine is working. You need to watch for a downward trend over a longer period of time. Weigh yourself in the same clothes (or no clothes) at the same time once a week, and take your measurements once a month.

Good luck.

Erika
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Remember...muscle weighs more than fat...If you are seeing muscle definition, you are on track! I have gained too, but I have been using weights so I think it is normal. Eventually, though you will start to lose I think. I wish there was a ticker for your measurements instead of weight because my waist is an inch smaller than when I started.
  • onichikun
    onichikun Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Its most likely a combination of things.

1) As state previously, you may have an increase due to water weight.
    2) If you are not eating properly, your body will begin to store fat as much as possible. So make sure you are eating a balanced diet along with exercising.
    3) Although muscle is denser than fat, gaining more than a pound or so of muscle in a week would be difficult.
    4) Its tough to say how your body will respond to a change in life style. Just keep up the good work and wait for your next weigh in with optimism.
  • Amberly10
    Amberly10 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The advice that I got was to weigh yourself at the same time everyday. The best time to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning after you go to the bathroom. Weigh yourself in the same clothes. I prefer to do it in just my undies and bra. Also, don't do it after a workout because you probably were drinking water and that can add weight.

If you are building muscle mass it might not seem weight wise that you are losing anything. In this case I read on here that it is better to take your measurements because you should be seeing progress there.

The period thing is a big one too for women. I know I am completely bloated right before and during my period so I probably will still weigh myself but not put too much emphasis on what the scale says.

Keep at it!! You will start seeing results:)

***I forgot to mention to always weigh yourself on the same scale. Every scale is calibrated differently so you might weigh 134 on one scale and step onto another and weigh 130lbs. Best to track your progress on the same scale every time.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Hey!

So I looked at your food diary because I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Mine was because I am consuming a ton of protien due to more intense workouts but it is evening out now. One thing that could be your problem is that you have had some form of alcohal each night (not too much) but even 1 or 2 drinks can cause dehydration. I always weigh more the day after I have a couple of drinks. Like last night, had 3 bud lights.... weigh more today than I did yesterday and I am pretty sure it is due to that. You look like you are eating well so thats all I can come up with for you!
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    Yeah, probably is mostly because I had a few drinks this weekend. It's kinda hard in my house, that's what we do on the weekend, hang out eat and drink :tongue: I think I did pretty well considering all the "crap" that was being consumed around me (such as yummie chips and dip right in front of me) I'll wait to weigh again till Friday, since we are "normal" during the week and see if that makes a differance. Thanks everyone for your input :flowerforyou: I'll keep it up.

I'm under what I need for calories to maintain weight (about 1500 cals) and I've been to the gym or exercised at home 6 days in a row! Just by numbers I have to lose based on the "facts" I may just weigh once a month or every two weeks. I've become obsessed with the scale!