DIET PILLS...YES OR NO?

Options

Replies

• BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    My ex-wife is on steriods for the rest of her life because of Addisons (google it) and the Doctor put here on an appitete suppressant but the plan was for her to "learn" good eating habits while on the suppressant. You know the good low cal stuff but she never changed her habits and when she got off of the pills she put all the weight back on plus about 30 or 40.

My take on it is if you use the pills to change your habits they will work...but if you use the pills just to keep yourself from eating too much but continue eating "anything" you want when you get off the pills you will quickly "lose" all your progress and gain the weight back.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    In the words of Darth Vader... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :noway: :explode: :noway: :explode: :noway: :explode:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you'd still have to exercise and practice calorie control :) so it's not as much the magic pill doing it for you but it's helping you with legal speed. And who doesnt like more energy?

Some folks need the extra help in the beginning.

I wouldn't pass judgement on anyone seeking the help of a doctor to get healthy.

I would be reluctant to go to GNC or order pills off line. You need to be monitored during the time you are taking these pills.
  • joankpoirier
    joankpoirier Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    been there and did that.. never again!! nothing ever worked or if it did even a little the side effects were not worth it
  • GardenDelight
    GardenDelight Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Oh, I have taken some in the past. Some have worked great!!! BUT...try to get back into the real world. Get off of them, and all that weight comes back. So a huge fat NOOOOOOO from me.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Good Lord no. Why would you do something like that? Companies see people with SUCKER written on their foreheads when it comes to that.
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It's a no from me...
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    No.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    nope
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The only pills I would suggest are a multivitamin, a b vitamin, and fish oil supplements. All natural and good for your health.
  • SamanthaC1
    Options
    Definately not! Lose your weight the right way with diet & exercise! Studies have proved how bad these pills are on your heart. You will
    lose weight on them but the minute you stop taking them you will gain it all right back!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    NO.

Took them in high school, it made my fat get all weird, like pebbly and squishy. Took me many years to get it all solidified again.

Besides which, I was in a f**ked up state of mind when taking them, I hated myself, hated my body. I feel like diet pills are a short cut, and a way out for people who want it easy. It's not easy. Nothing worth fighting for ever is.
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have sadly tried them all, some worked a little bit but the end result was as soon as I stopped taking them I gained all the weight back plus more! The real solution in my opinion is healthy eating and hard work! Doing it the right way now!
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I learned the hard way on here that this is a touchy subject.. That being said if you go into thinking its a magic pill then no it will not work but the whole point of it is to help you initially get your appetite under control to where you are eating controlled portions and working out then when you go off you have created a routine to follow. If you have the right mind set when you start them I feel you will have success but if you are looking for magic cause you don't want to change your ways then its short term. Good luck!
    My feelings as well. I was on adipex for 4 months. I lost a good amount quickly, but towards the end not so much. They are only a tool to get you started eating less food and become more active. They are only temporary. It's really them who helped me stay in control of my appetite long enough to make better choices, better habits in portion control, calorie counting and gave me energy to get off my *kitten* and start moving. Now it comes second nature to me. I have been off it over a month but I am still more active than I have been in years (and that's good with 2 babies under 3), I count calories and make better choices (most of the time). Just as they teach you weight loss surgery is JUST a tool.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    NO! I believe that you shouldn't do something to lose weight that you're not willing to do for the rest of your life. And many of them are dangerous.
  • Keltinator
    Options
    No. I think it's better just to change your lifestyle and lose the weight a little slowly. In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter if you're bikini-ready in the next month? You (hopefully) have a long life ahead of you. If you take the time now to make a positive lifestyle change, you'll reap the benefits far longer than you would if you took diet pills for a quick fix.
  • misfitswayoflife
    misfitswayoflife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to say yes or no its a personal decision

BUT
    please be very careful. When I was in high school I used them many times and very often got sick off of them. LIke my hands went numb/fainting/ shaking etc. I think they can be dangerous
    I personally don't think they work
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Diet pills can actually kill you. They killed Bubba Smith, the big black dude from Police Academy.
  • glassbirdhouse
    Options
    Yep. I take green tea extract, and sometimes caffeine. When you're eating less than you burn you're bound to get tired, and I find that this helps me keep my energy levels up enough to get things done. :)