10k Runner

Options
I finally got my new running shoes today (Asics Gel Foundation 11) and I'll be starting the 10k Runner app tomorrow (starting from week 3 though). Does anyone have any tips for beginners running? Absolutely anything at all, really. Things you'd wished you'd known when you started? Good songs to listen to to keep you going? What to eat before/after a morning run?

Replies

• RunningAweigh
    Options
    I completed my first run this morning (incredibly proud of myself for getting up 2 hours early to work out!) but I've had a horrible, hacking cough all day since. It was pretty cold out, so I'm not sure if it's because of that, but should I be worried?
    I'd also still appreciate any tips that anyone may have, so feel free to respond to the first post :)
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    good for you!!!! do you having a running back ground, or did you just start running? This might help giving some tips, i would hate to tell you things you already know...

with eating, i would keep it simple. No need to eat a huge breakfast before a run, maybe toast with butter/jelly, and when you get back from the run you can have a bigger breakfast. If your run is short, you could even get away with not eating breakfast at all, i would saying anything over 4 i would eat something before your run.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Take it slow
    Don't sprint everything
    Don't worry about eating anything before your run

Re: the cough, that seems odd. Do you have a history of asthma or something? I run all winter long in MN and don't have that happen to me.
  • payupalice
    payupalice Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Before I started running, I wish someone had impressed upon me the importance of stretching, especially my calves. So, don't forget to stretch!!
    Happy running!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    First off, well done, first one is the hardest.

How come you are starting on week three if its your first time?

1) Take it slow, warm up, cool down.
    2) Try not to run on the same side of the road/path all the time.
    3) Wear reflective clothing
    4)
  • RunningAweigh
    Options
    good for you!!!! do you having a running back ground, or did you just start running? This might help giving some tips, i would hate to tell you things you already know...

with eating, i would keep it simple. No need to eat a huge breakfast before a run, maybe toast with butter/jelly, and when you get back from the run you can have a bigger breakfast. If your run is short, you could even get away with not eating breakfast at all, i would saying anything over 4 i would eat something before your run.
    Thank you! I completed couch to 5k last year, but I ended up stopping running and I'm pretty much beginning again :(. Feel free to shoot any tips you may have at me though, anything I might already know would be a nice reminder!

I didn't eat before the run this morning and felt fine, so I think I'll probably continue with that until I start getting into continuous running, thanks for your reply!

Take it slow
    Don't sprint everything
    Don't worry about eating anything before your run

Re: the cough, that seems odd. Do you have a history of asthma or something? I run all winter long in MN and don't have that happen to me.

Thanks!
    My dad has asthma, but I've never had an issue with it personally. I tried searching on google and a lot of answers said exercise induced asthmas, but I exercise all the time (just not running), so I'm not sure about that. If it continues, I'll talk to my doctor.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If it's really cold out I will cough a bit as the throat is a bit chilly. Your airways warm up air before it hits your lungs but as we tend to breathe quicker than normal when running it can make you cough.

I run lots. My advice would be just enjoy it at first. When you can run for half an hour comfortably start going further and/or faster (though not in the same session).

Wear decent foot wear and bra. And don't wear too many clothes. New runners always seem to wear track suits. These are not made for sport! Being too hot majorly makes things harder.

Good luck to you :drinker:
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    congrats!!!

1. dont worry about speed, go for distance! it's ok to walk if you need to!!

2. warm up, especially if it's a 'short run'

3. post run, stretch

4. stretch

5. did I say stretch???

6. Run trails,run the paths,run pavements. treadmill as a very last resort!!!
  • RunningAweigh
    Options
    Before I started running, I wish someone had impressed upon me the importance of stretching, especially my calves. So, don't forget to stretch!!
    Happy running!
    Thank you! I've been doing a lot of stretching for flexibility recently anyway, but I'll keep that in mind :)
    First off, well done, first one is the hardest.

How come you are starting on week three if its your first time?

1) Take it slow, warm up, cool down.
    2) Try not to run on the same side of the road/path all the time.
    3) Wear reflective clothing
    4)

Thank you :), I'm starting on week three because I've already done couch to 5k before and week 1 of 10k Runner just seemed way too easy, so I started with something that I thought would be a little more challenging. It felt like a great place to start :).

This might be a dumb question, but why shouldn't I run on the same side of the road?
  • gtlightning98
    gtlightning98 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Add distance as suggested. Even if you feel good, increasing too quickly can lead to injuries. Many running injuries don't go away without cutting back or taking a break from running (not good). Stretch well, especially places you feel tight or you experience pain. If you never ran you will most likely have an imballance in your muscles. Stronger hams then quads (knee and hip problems), weak ankle muscles, etc...this is why it's important to start slow and do other leg excercises to even things out. Also, get shoes that fit how your foot works (neutral, stability, guidance, cushioning).
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Have fun! If you aren't enjoying it, then it's a lot of time and effort and it's tough to stick with it. So if you enjoy outdoors more than the treadmill, stay outdoors as much as possible. If you like the alone time, run by yourself. If you prefer the motivation of others then join a running group. Find out what you enjoy and what works for you and do it.
  • RunningAweigh
    Options
    If it's really cold out I will cough a bit as the throat is a bit chilly. Your airways warm up air before it hits your lungs but as we tend to breathe quicker than normal when running it can make you cough.

I run lots. My advice would be just enjoy it at first. When you can run for half an hour comfortably start going further and/or faster (though not in the same session).

Wear decent foot wear and bra. And don't wear too many clothes. New runners always seem to wear track suits. These are not made for sport! Being too hot majorly makes things harder.

Good luck to you
    Oh that makes sense actually, i'm hoping it's that and nothing serious.

Yeah my first goal is to be able to run for half an hour and then the 10k Runner program ends up on a 60 minute run, I can't wait to be able to complete that!

I think I'm good with the footwear and clothing, at least I hope so. My shoes are perfect for me and then I wore leggings, a sports bra, a tank top and a hoodie because it was really cold. Is that too much for when I get into the longer runs?

congrats!!!

1. dont worry about speed, go for distance! it's ok to walk if you need to!!

2. warm up, especially if it's a 'short run'

3. post run, stretch

4. stretch

5. did I say stretch???

6. Run trails,run the paths,run pavements. treadmill as a very last resort!!!

Ahh thanks! Treadmills are the last place I ever want to be, except work hahaha.
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY stretching before you run! I wasn't doing this and found I wanted to quit before my first mile every time (I didn't, but it felt like I "should"). Now that I stretch first, I don't have that problem. The other thing I found is getting good running socks helped make things better. I love the Thorlo Experia micro mini socks and Balega's. I never eat before I run. Ever; tried it once and felt sick during my run. I did my first 5K a few weeks ago & can't wait to do another!

I don't get coughs, but I do find with the colder weather than I have to really work on my breathing. I do not have asthma, but I do have year-round allergies. A friend of mine has exercise-induced asthma.

Good luck!
  • RunningAweigh
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! It's all really helpful :)
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Its not a dumb question.

Road and paths are all built to slope slightly towards the edge/drain.

If you run the same side the same way day after day, one legs is under just a tiny bit more stress than the other all the time, hence try change it up to balance it stress on your legs and decrease the risk of injury
  • RunningAweigh
    Options
    Its not a dumb question.

Road and paths are all built to slope slightly towards the edge/drain.

If you run the same side the same way day after day, one legs is under just a tiny bit more stress than the other all the time, hence try change it up to balance it stress on your legs and decrease the risk of injury

Oh that's a really good point! I was darting across the road a lot of the time because the pavements are really inconsistent anyway, so hopefully that should be okay instead of just staying on the one side the whole time?
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Thats perfect. I, lot a lot of runners, runs laps(for me its of my town) I use to always go the same way. Now I make an effort to be 50/50 on each side of the road
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Be careful running on the right side of the road. If you are running with traffic you won't see the car that runs over you.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Be careful running on the right side of the road. If you are running with traffic you won't see the car that runs over you.

be much more careful running against traffic cause the guy making a right hand turn isn't really looking right he is looking left so very easy to get hit... When i can i always run with traffic, this way cars "should" always see me no matter what turns they are making.
  • mereniecrosby
    Options
    I have been running 2+ years now. Worked up from 3 k to a 5 k and now I am running at around 8-9 k. I am aiming for a 10 k. I am not slender either. Kind of stocky and large busted, but I still manage to run no problem. Love listening to Radiohead and Massive attack when I run. I weigh about 175 on a 5'4" frame. I am very muscular though. I find I just kept going longer and longer. My joints do hurt at times though. I am 53 years old. (Arthritis in feet and hips). But my knees seem okay. I just take it slow, it takes me 34 min to do a 5 K. It does help with the belly fat for sure. I really struggle with snacking and I know if I could completely cut out sugar I would probably be able to lose the final 25 pounds. My goal would be 150 pounds. So 25 pounds is all I really have to lose yet that is the hardest part it seems. My highest weight was 208 and I was somewhere around 200 when I started off walking a block, running a block... and it progressed from there. Good luck to you and keep with it, it just gets easier and easier. Do you get the running high? Fabulous feeling. I find I never feel depressed anymore. I think the running is doing it.