How many men here practice Yoga?

I'm curious how many men here incorporate Yoga into their fitness activities? I was taking Ashtanga Yoga for a few months last fall and quit going when I tweaked the knee I had my ACL reconstructed on. I'm in way better shape now & my knee seems to be stronger so I'm really wanting to get back into it. I felt great when I was doing Yoga a couple times a week.

I was actually a little timid to join the class since in the U.S. they are usually dominated by women and I knew there's no way I'd be very flexible or have good balance. I learned I needed to stand nex to a wall to use to maintain balance on some of the poses we held.

If you are looking for a new challenge, try doing Ashtanga Yoga!

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    There are lots of guys in the class I take (I practice hot vinyasa a couple times a week), and they all have pretty rockin' bods! Yoga definitely does a body good :smile:
  • There are quite a few men in my yoga classes. The beautiful thing about yoga is there is no judgement - everyone goes at their own pace/level. When I first started I couldn't even touch my toes...now I can stand on my head! You'll get there too!
  • Tyrone_S
    Tyrone_S Posts: 94 Member
    I do a bit of Bikram. Helps my back a lot, actually added another 20kg to my squat because my back felt so much better after a few sessions.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    <
    Does power yoga 2x per week.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    With recent events I'm thinking I may need to do something like this to strengthen the core more.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    i don't "practice" yoga, but i do yoga moves atleast 2-3 times a week.
  • twice a week for me
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Yoga is great. I wish I had started it 20 years ago. It isn't part of my current mix because of time and location issues but I'd love to start again.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    I do Bikram Yoga once every two weeks or so. Love it and it's hard work.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    I attend two Anusara Yoga classes per week and do my own practise sessions at home every day.

Yoga has certainly helped me to gain greater core strength, balance and above all - determination.

I am one of three men in a class of about thirty and it is lovely to be accepted into what has been considered a feminine domain. Strength and beauty in harmony through Yoga; I absolutely recommend it.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    A little over a year ago I signed up for my gym membership and the trainer showed me a few yoga positions to help my stiff back. Just that one time helped a lot and he suggested taking a class. To this day I have not been brave enough to take the class but seeing you guys doing it might just inspire me to do it....
  • I don't but I'd like to.
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    P90X Yoga once a week!
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    I just started about 2 weeks ago using the Wii Fit. The Yoga makes things sore I forgot I had, but I clearly need it.
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    I just started about 2 weeks ago using the Wii Fit. The Yoga makes things sore I forgot I had, but I clearly need it.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    I would love to start doing it but I have not found anything online and dont have a gym membership...so learning it is a bit difficult.
    Anyone have any links I could take a look at?
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    My running friends (all female) all swore by it for stretching for runners. It was awkward at first but I've been at it almost a year and I can tell a HUGE difference from when I started.

I practice twice a week at my YMCA (bikram).
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Id love to learn some yoga...as an injured runner, I am totally sold on not only the benefits by stretching, but also on breathing exercises.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Back before I stopped doing yoga last fall, it really helped me get more distance with my golf swing too.

@TexasTroy If you don't have a studio near you, perhaps check out Youtube, Netflix, or perhaps buy a DVD. (Just checked youtube and there are lots of videos. Search Ashtanga Yoga Beginner to start with. There are also intermediate and advanced series.)

Ease Into Ashtanga is a good DVD

A good book is Ashtanga Yoga The Practice Manual by David Swenson

Ashtanga is pretty strenuous and I used to sweat my butt off doing it. I had to get a rug to go on top of my mat to keep from slipping, and it's not even "hot" yoga. You don't really get your heart rate up, but it's something great to do on an "off" day.

Most of the stuff they do, I or many of us probably can't do, but man it would be great have even some of the flexibility as some of these advanced yogis.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Back before I stopped doing yoga last fall, it really helped me get more distance with my golf swing too.

@TexasTroy If you don't have a studio near you, perhaps check out Youtube, Netflix, or perhaps buy a DVD. (Just checked youtube and there are lots of videos. Search Ashtanga Yoga Beginner to start with. There are also intermediate and advanced series.)

Ease Into Ashtanga is a good DVD

A good book is Ashtanga Yoga The Practice Manual by David Swenson

Ashtanga is pretty strenuous and I used to sweat my butt off doing it. I had to get a rug to go on top of my mat to keep from slipping, and it's not even "hot" yoga. You don't really get your heart rate up, but it's something great to do on an "off" day.

Most of the stuff they do, I or many of us probably can't do, but man it would be great have even some of the flexibility as some of these advanced yogis.

Thanks, I will give youtube a shot.