Ahh, beat me to it.

I'll say the forums.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,173 Member
    Best - The people and its free
    Worst - Its too addictive. :D
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Best thing - Structure and Discipline so i dont go overboard, and when i do, i always know how to get back . Being able to search and ask for advice. I was totally clueless about calories and how many i needed for my metabolism etc etc...lots of great recipe topics from users, lots of fun, all in one site. Its a place where i dont feel ashamed of my performance...because i know there are so many others struggling just like me to lose the extra weight.

Worst thing - There can be the odd discouraging comment or off color piece of advice. Also, being ignored in a forum topic, or seeing someone's question being twisted up with offending answers...its a bit of high school in here as well =P
    also..there is no recipe database to hunt for recipes from....but i hear they are working on that.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Best thing? The People.
    Worst thing? The other people.

Ahh, beat me to it.

I'll say the forums.

Yep.

The community is what makes this far superior to other calorie counting sites I've used. Granted, the other site had a forum, but I didn't use it. And as such, I didn't know what I was doing wrong.

And the worst part... is also the community. That it's often a case of the inmates running the asylum because the site administrator doesn't participate or explain the hows and whys, and the moderators are just here to make everyone play nice.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Best: macronutrient calculations. Helps me stay on point with nutritional needs.
    Worst: the amount of misinformation floating around the forums.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    I wish it would seperate natural from refined sugar.:ohwell:
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    The best thing about MFP? The nutritional database is huge--largely because it's user-generated.

The worst thing about MFP? The nutritional database is riddled with errors--largely because it's user-generated.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    The best thing: easy logging and the app

the worst thing: not being able to calculate caloric needs based on bodty fat content or by a calutator to determin body fat content based on on measurements, height, weight and so and forth.. some of us have different caloric needs because of the body fat content.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Best things: The database & the diary. These things allow me to prelog the night b4, so I can be on point on my cals & macros each day. The people, least the ones on my friends list. I have THE best support system in my friends here & I am very thankful to have met such ppl.
    Worst things: The amount of horrible information out there. The way sum ppl just look for attention. How the forums aren't always so helpful (tho sumtimes they are)
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Best: The support from friends, its a great way to log all your food intake which helps alot. It is a good tool to aid losing weight, even though it is up to you at the end of the day what you put into your body.

Worst: If you miss a day or week, it doesnt take that into account.
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Worst : People using it like its a Victoria Secret / Adult Flirting site

Best : Actual friendships with people that are here to support and motivate and not model their underwear
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    best thing about mfp : amazing,kind,generous selfless people with like minded goals. a pretty decent program to help determine how uch to eat, and incredible food and exercise tracker.

the bad? the forum dwellers who know it all ..and arnt afraid to let everyone know.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Best thing:

My friends on my friend list.

Worst thing: My friend list when I'm feeling antisocial, because then I feel all guilty for not at least popping in to say hello! :laugh:
  • ribye
    ribye Posts: 59 Member
    I'd like to see better stat reports, I would love to know exactly how many calories I was over or under not just for a day but for the week, it might do that but havnt found it
  • lisht13
    lisht13 Posts: 9 Member
    Thanks so much for all the feedback guys - really intrigued at what your personal experiences have been, I agree that the amazingly kind and generous people on MFP really have helped me live a healthier life. I'm discussing MFP next on the uni radio, feel free to tune in guys! http://news.surgfm.org/listen
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 423 Member
    Best and worst things.... the people... for both answers! My advice, find a strong support system of friends here and don't take the boards personally... there are a lot of judgmental, hurtful people here.
  • refinley2
    refinley2 Posts: 52 Member
    The best thing is that it's way easier to write down what you eat. It's always recommended when on a diet, you should write down everything you eat. Here, you just search it, click it, and the program tells you how much more you can eat today.

The worst thing is that you need a third party image hosting site to post pictures in forums.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    The best thing about MFP? The nutritional database is huge--largely because it's user-generated.

The worst thing about MFP? The nutritional database is riddled with errors--largely because it's user-generated.
    *The barcode scanner helps a lot here
  • MaleyaB
    MaleyaB Posts: 25
    I know this is a bit late, but I will do it anyway.

Best: Having this as a resource. Being able to log everything that I eat has been such a big help in understanding portion sizes and servings. The database is AMAZING, even if it is sometimes flawed (you just have to pay attention and check the numbers occasionally). I love how you can scan labels on the app and log it that way.

Worst: Having a miscalculation with the amount of calories to eat. I have changed it three times, the first being 1200, the second being 1460, and the third being 1900. Those are BIG differences! The calculators on MFP do not always factor in everything it needs to.

Honestly, the forums are great. Yes, there will be people who ask dumb questions; but they are asking to expand their knowledge. Not everyone has been doing this for a long time, nor has a lot of information or knows where to go to get their questions answered. And since this IS the internet, there will always be rude responses or people trolling. It's just how it is.
  • lisht13
    lisht13 Posts: 9 Member
    Just finished my big chat about MFP - thanks for all your input guys! If you liked the chat i'd love if you liked the facebook page http://www.facebook.com/surgfm.alisha , it's just uni radio but we talk about all sorts of stuff, we're broadcasting this afternoon as well and I think we're going to talk about recipes. I'm just obsessed with food now.