Cream of Rice

Options
Has anyone had this or eat it regularly and if so, how does it taste? I'm gluten intolerant and am looking for another carb option to have with breakfast and was wondering about this since I saw it in the grocery store yesterday. I cannot tolerate gluten free oatmeal but loved the texture of it when I had it. My only concern about cream of rice is that it will be soupy, is there any way to make it chunky and chewy like oatmeal?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had Cream of Rice, but if it is like Cream of Wheat you just use less water to make it thicker. It's not really chewy though. Cream of Wheat is pretty bland - but I love it. I'd assume cream of rice would be similar and of course you can add a million different things to it to make it more savory or sweet...
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever had Cream of Rice, but if it is like Cream of Wheat you just use less water to make it thicker. It's not really chewy though. Cream of Wheat is pretty bland - but I love it. I'd assume cream of rice would be similar and of course you can add a million different things to it to make it more savory or sweet...

Oh ok, thanks for the info. I love the taste of plain oatmeal but unfortunately my stomach does not, so I'll see how cream of rice goes.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    For breakfast I like to make kasha, an old Doukhobor dish.

I use leftover rice but you could cook it fresh.

About of 1 cup of cooked rice in pot, add enough milk to cover (about 1 c), add a tablespoon or so of butter, and raisins (I love raisins so I use a lot!), and about a tablespoon of white sugar. Stir over high heat until bubbly, then reduce heat and stir/cook until thickened. Oh so good!!

Sometimes I add a teaspoon or so of vanilla and maybe some cinnamon. Or the rare times I have some International Delights liquid coffee flavouring I might add a quarter cup or so (to taste) to the milk.

Simple, easy, quick, and oh so good!
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    If it's what I think it is (we call it rice cream) it's thick, and DELICIOUS! Very sweet though
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    For breakfast I like to make kasha, an old Doukhobor dish.

I use leftover rice but you could cook it fresh.

About of 1 cup of cooked rice in pot, add enough milk to cover (about 1 c), add a tablespoon or so of butter, and raisins (I love raisins so I use a lot!), and about a tablespoon of white sugar. Stir over high heat until bubbly, then reduce heat and stir/cook until thickened. Oh so good!!

Sometimes I add a teaspoon or so of vanilla and maybe some cinnamon. Or the rare times I have some International Delights liquid coffee flavouring I might add a quarter cup or so (to taste) to the milk.

Simple, easy, quick, and oh so good!

That looks like a very tasty dish! Thanks for the recipe, it's on my to-cook list.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I've never had cream of rice, but I have Celiac disease, and am currently eating grits (with cheese, of course!) for breakfast.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I love it. very versatile. I like mine with a poached egg a bit of butter and salt and pepper. It is good sweet too. I have been wanting to make it like corn meal mush and then let it cool so I can have fried cream of rice with syrup. Just a different texture and way to eat it. Anyway it is a favorite for me, I am out:noway:
  • rmwinters
    rmwinters Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Don't leave the stove when your cooking this.....use a whisk and keep mixing so that is will be smooth and not boil over. You can cook it down to the consistency that you want. You can add maple syrup or fresh fruit...yum!
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    I've never had cream of rice, but I have Celiac disease, and am currently eating grits (with cheese, of course!) for breakfast.

What do grits taste like? Can you make it chewy if you want to?
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    I love it. very versatile. I like mine with a poached egg a bit of butter and salt and pepper. It is good sweet too. I have been wanting to make it like corn meal mush and then let it cool so I can have fried cream of rice with syrup. Just a different texture and way to eat it. Anyway it is a favorite for me, I am out:noway:

That sounds really good, thanks for the input.
  • jbgolf52
    Options
    Don't leave the stove when your cooking this.....use a whisk and keep mixing so that is will be smooth and not boil over. You can cook it down to the consistency that you want. You can add maple syrup or fresh fruit...yum!

I make mine in the microwave to save time in the morning, is it better if you make it on the stovetop?