BMI does not always apply to every body type

Options

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Uh huh.

Tell my doctors to quit using it then.

Many doctors blindly follow it. Its true! Plenty of people on this site have been told to lose weight at a very healthy body fat with a muscular frame.

Example, photo below. This guy is fat. RIGHT???? I mean his BMI says he is obese!

50109Mostmuscular.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    BMI is the most rediculous metric one can use to measure health.

Amen.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is in the Overweight category. Once I get there, I will strive for an overall look. It's very possible I will stay overweight just as it is very possible I will lose more and be a normal weight. The BMI scales don't mean much to me. I am obese by BMI standards but I can do things with my body that most normal weight women cannot. It's not the end all be all.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    So the first lady is still overweight. Being overweight is, of course, healthier than obese, and accepting yourself should happen regardless of weight. But being normal weight is better than being overweight.

The second one, at 5'6" shot for the far-lowest end of the BMI and on top of that - did it an extremely unhealthy way. Now, she's at the high end of normal and healthier. Go figure...

Sounds like to me BMI is fine, how people use it is wrong.

Haven't you seen the famous "BMI comparison" picture? With two people at the same heights and weights, but one has considerably LESS body fat. BMI is body MASS--it does not count if the mass is muscle or fat. One if obviously better than the other. Body fat % and measurement ratios are much more accurate at analyzing health and fitness--even doctors steer away from the BMI chart.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    My goal weight is in the Overweight category. Once I get there, I will strive for an overall look.

Now THIS is sound reasoning. +1
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    That's why I use BF% to measure myself. You may have an acceptable BMI, but if your BF% is over 25% (for men) or 32% (for women), you're still obese.

However, you could have a BMI of 30 and have a BF% of 10%, you'll be healthy at that weight.
  • mrau719
    mrau719 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    BMI was not designed for individual-use. It was designed to categorize populations. Using it to categorize individual people is not the correct use and a big part of why it really doesn't apply.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    That's why I use BF% to measure myself. You may have an acceptable BMI, but if your BF% is over 25% (for men) or 32% (for women), you're still obese.

However, you could have a BMI of 30 and have a BF% of 10%, you'll be healthy at that weight.

BINGO.

BMI + BF% gives a much better picture than just BMI or just BF% alone.

P.S. WAY too many people use the argument that BMI doesn't suit every body type as an excuse to remain obese or overweight. Remember, the terms "obese" and "overweight" are medical terms and for most people, being categorized as "obese" also means that this person is at a much higher risk for certain types of cancer, cardiovascular disease, and a mountain of other medical issues. Very few people who are categorized as "obese" have "non-obese" BF% also. That's an exception, not the norm.
  • Bakkasan
    Options
    If ANY doctor blindly tells any patient to lose weight because his/her BMI says so but he/she is under 20% BF or under 30% for a female, they should be immediately and permanently be banned from practicing medicine. I mean that. They do not understand the human body.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    The saddest part about BMI to me is that insurance companies use it to gauge premiums and if anyone is considered overweight or obese, they may have to pay a higher premium. Two failed examples from my life... 1) my cube neighbor is one of the healthiest most active guys I know but he's considered overweight per BMI and it was recommended that he do a weight loss program by our annual health assessment based on his height and weight. And 2) my best friend is the hottest fittest female I know but she's only about 5 pounds away from being considered overweright per BMI - and we all know how easy it can be to put on 5 pounds! Please, I wish I had the body this chick has...abs to die for!

The problem is that there are so many other factors than height and weight...and it amazes me that this is the best we can do after all the health, sport and science research out there.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

This^ My BMI is 20.9 and my BF% is 28.4%. I'm still fat with a pretty low BMI.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    At this point I'm fairly certain I've put on too much muscle to go down much below the "overweight" level. I can cut down some more, and I will, but I'm pretty heavy at the moment. Heavy as in, I wouldn't wanna try to pick me up. I'm already a size smaller than I used to be at this weight. I think BMI is WAY overblown.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Over time Melanie found peace with her weight and success-fully now maintains a weight of 175 to 185 pounds.
    not sure what the point is here - she's still obese but has given up ? As she weighs more than me I'm guessing her body fat isn't too low.
    The point is that she is still overweight but healthier and learing to accept herself even though she doesn't fit into the proper BMI category for her height and weight.
    Learning to accept oneself is very important. Is certainly should be a big part of any weight loss plan. But whether or not accepting yourself at a specific weight is healthy would also involve questions beyond BMI. How is Melanie's blood work? What are her waist, height and hip measurements? (on an individual level, BMI coupled with waist to height and/or waist to hip ratio is a much better sign of disease risk than BMI or weight alone). In other words, is she healthy and happy at this age. Or has she just given up on being healthy?
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    bmi-comparison.gif
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    bmi-comparison.gif

THIS was the picture I was thinking of! Awesome... but I hate your avatar :[
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Over time Melanie found peace with her weight and success-fully now maintains a weight of 175 to 185 pounds.
    not sure what the point is here - she's still obese but has given up ? As she weighs more than me I'm guessing her body fat isn't too low.
    The point is that she is still overweight but healthier and learing to accept herself even though she doesn't fit into the proper BMI category for her height and weight.
    Learning to accept oneself is very important. Is certainly should be a big part of any weight loss plan. But whether or not accepting yourself at a specific weight is healthy would also involve questions beyond BMI. How is Melanie's blood work? What are her waist, height and hip measurements? (on an individual level, BMI coupled with waist to height and/or waist to hip ratio is a much better sign of disease risk than BMI or weight alone). In other words, is she healthy and happy at this age. Or has she just given up on being healthy?

Yeah! This is the other thing that absolutely kills me! BMI says I'm borderline obese, but my waist-height and waist-hip both say I'm in fantastic shape and a cardiologist's dream come true. :huh:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

This^ My BMI is 20.9 and my BF% is 28.4%. I'm still fat with a pretty low BMI.

Your BF% is still within a healthy range. You may wish to lose more, but your reasons cannot be for health reasons. It's a personal preference in your view.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    bmi-comparison.gif

THIS was the picture I was thinking of! Awesome... but I hate your avatar :[

I quite like yours.

Beer!
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I've commented on this before.I know first hand the deception of BMI. A few months ago I went to the endroconoligst and once she weighed me she told me that at 5'3 and 175 pounds I was obese. And she told me to go on the scarsdale diet. I told her no at my age (almost 48) the last thing i needed to do was lose muscle on 800-1000 calorie a day diet. Fast forward about 4 months. Thru diet (MFP) and exercise (weight training and cardio) I have lost 2 pants sizes. Firmed up the flab and lost inches. Well guess what. I only lost a little over 4 pounds. So yes Im still technically obese by my BMI at 30.1 but im fitter than I have ever been. My ultimate goal is to get down to about 165-170. Which would still put me in the overweight catagory. BMI is a very useless outdated measurment of fitness and should be done away with. Thats my 2 cents