Eating before workout

I have been mainly doing cardio for exercise since April. Today I started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I finished it with just a few breaks but I felt sick after it was over. I ate dinner and immediately started feeling better. I think that I may not have eaten enough before my workout. What are the best things to eat before a workout, carbs or protein, also how long prior to my workout should I eat? Any advice would help. Thanks.

Replies

• wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Lean protein sources are good, like chicken. Also, stick to foods that you know you handle well. As for the time, wait at least a half hour before strenuous exercise.
  • I can't remember where I read this but since I workout at 5am I was looking up if I should eat or not and it said that your body lacks glycogen and protein helps fuel your body quickly. So, I have a whey protein thing right when I wake up.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Small snack about 30 mins before, or meal 1 hr prior

Personally, I feel stronger after a meal vs a snack. (High protein w some carbs.)
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    I like to work out on an almost empty stomach, just a little caffeine buzzing around in the system. Then eat about 45 to an hour afterward.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    I can't remember where I read this but since I workout at 5am I was looking up if I should eat or not and it said that your body lacks glycogen and protein helps fuel your body quickly. So, I have a whey protein thing right when I wake up.

^^^^^This^^^^^
  • Tiffikat
    Tiffikat Posts: 47 Member
    I try to have something small with protein right before working out and my actual meal (usually dinner) after.
  • ultrahush
    ultrahush Posts: 23 Member
    weird... I just finished a JM workout and was wondering if anyone posted about how to not feel nauseous post workout with ANY food in your stomach (I have a crazy masters program and my free time is also eating time). I do best with these workouts when I eat something like almonds about an hour before a workout, if I can. I try to stay away from anything acidic or caffeinated before any kind of exercise, if possible. good luck!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    I cannot workout after I eat. Even a protein bar will make me want to vomit. I like a nice empty stomach. But, if I did eat, I'd search for something really light with instant energy, like a piece of fruit or something like that.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    I did an experiment while working on a 14 miles in 7 days swim goal.
    4 days I went to swim 2 miles and lift without eating before and 3 times about an hour after eating dinner.
    Though I did not feel weaker n either case, but 3 of the 4 days I didn't eat before swimming I got a calf muscle cramp toward the end of the swim. I drink about 24 ounces of water during the swim. Never get a cramp swimming a hour after dinner.
    That is the only difference I noticed.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    for an afternoon/evening work out, i like to have an apple or banana or a cliff bar or granola bar about an hour before i work out.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    I have been mainly doing cardio for exercise since April. Today I started the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I finished it with just a few breaks but I felt sick after it was over. I ate dinner and immediately started feeling better. I think that I may not have eaten enough before my workout. What are the best things to eat before a workout, carbs or protein, also how long prior to my workout should I eat? Any advice would help. Thanks.

I'm doing the complete opposite. I read "Vacation Body Blueprint" on Rusty Moore's Fitness Black Book and it says that working out fasted first thing in the morning helps your body produce HGH, which gives you many health benefits. My first experiment with this here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/745151-i-got-a-compliment-from-rusty-moore-from-fitness-black-book

It's funny because I never thought I could workout before without eating until I tried this and it's more of a mindset. Now I'm used to it and I can't stand to eat before I workout. And I do a long hard workout. I lift heavy and still do cardio, sometimes HIIT running.

That said, if you need to eat then by all means do so. I always ate before a workout until recently. For me it was more of a mindset shift.
  • victorious27
    victorious27 Posts: 250 Member
    Everyone is different, but rule of thumb would probably be about 30 minutes.

My friend can eat something and ten minutes later go out and run a mile without any problems. I can't eat anything more than a half a sandwich or I can't exercise for at least an hour (it's been known to put me into cramps even after two hours after eating, awesome, right?).

So just remember that everyone reacts differently, and what may work for someone else may not work for you.
  • Blue_Mint
    Blue_Mint Posts: 31 Member
    I'm working through the Insanity workout program (just started week 5), which is roughly 45 minutes of intense cardio exercise 6 times a week. Each morning, about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes prior to working out, I eat a small bowl of oatmeal with a touch of brown sugar & milk and a cup of coffee. This gets me through the workout without feeling totally exhausted and is decently healthy. Then, about 1/2 hour after working out, I eat a high protein snack, either cottage cheese with fruit or an egg with a slice of turkey bacon.

I'm sure this is not for everyone, but it works for me! Enjoy 30DS! I loved it!