Wii Biggest Loser Actual Calories Burned!

Options
Many of you, including myself, believe that the calories burned on the Wii Biggest Loser were off. One should not be dripping sweat and gasping for air and only have burned 100 calories

Well I am here to set the record straight for you!

I recently got a Polar F7 HRM. It's a very nice little critter. I was eager to try it out with my Wii Biggest Loser, because I knew their calories HAD to be wrong.

You know what? WE WERE RIGHT!

I did a challenging, full body workout. Biggest loser said I burned 110-116 (stupid me, forgot to write it down). My HRM said I burned 450!!

The cool down said 11 calories. My HRM said 80.

That's a GINORMOUS difference!

Moral of the story: Invest in a good HRM! I am more inclined to believe my little "Polar Falcon" that I am the game, because the HRM is only inches away from my very life force!

Replies

• cc_campbell81
    Options
    Though some may disagree with me I too highly recommend a HRM. I also find them very motivating. Mine shows calories burned and I always want to work out more to see the number rise. If I am at 375 I will keep going a little longer to get to 400.
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar experience with Wii Fit Plus. My "120" calorie workout was actually almost 300. Not as big a difference as with BL, but that's still a snack!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I really really wish I could afford them. Part of me would want to wear one for a full day to see how close the BMR calculator is, or at least get a handle on whether I'm sedentary or lightly active. (I'm right on the borderline, I put down sedentary just to be safe.)
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Sun, they are worth every penny! I got mine off of Amazon for $99. I bet you could put $10 a month away & buy yourself a really nice one for Christmas :)
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    Walmart.com has one in the $30 range - that I would NOT recommend...I used it on an elliptical one day and it said I burned 130 cals., the elliptical said over 300.

and it was one with the chest strap. The elliptical synced to my HRM so both had the exact same heart rate.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Yeah, I got a Sportline for Christmas. It was from Walmart. It was about $40. It had MAJOR issues. It would repeatedly reset itself. It even froze and give me a blue screen of death when I tried to put stats back in. I took it back & whine at hubby for this one. Needless to say, I am MUCH happier!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I wanted the Polar F6 soooooooooooo bad.

I decided to put the money in a jar that I would spend on carry out food. Every time I thought...hmmmm, micky ds........then NO-carrots and hummus........I put 5 bucks in the jar.

Skip a coffee....2 bucks in the jar.

I accomplished my goal of no carry out, no fatty crud, no sugary coffees AND bought my HRM in 2 weeks!! :laugh:
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Jeannie, I think you overcoming those cravings is an even bigger triumph than a couple bucks in the jar! Don't get the F6 though. You have to send it back to the factory, periodically, for maintenance on your dime. I got the F7 because I can change the batteries myself. It was the same price as the F6, and even came with the F6 manual. Essentially the same, only more user friendly! Mine also has a girly design on the faceplate :)

Way to go on showing junk food who's boss!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Well, I've got a treat jar that I put a dollar in every time I stick to one of my action goals for a week. I guess I know what I'm saving up for now.
  • sftbutterflykiss
    sftbutterflykiss Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    check out amazon .com.. last year i bought one for 39.99 free shipping.. and it works fine.. i love it!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I wanted the Polar F6 soooooooooooo bad.

I decided to put the money in a jar that I would spend on carry out food. Every time I thought...hmmmm, micky ds........then NO-carrots and hummus........I put 5 bucks in the jar.

Skip a coffee....2 bucks in the jar.

I accomplished my goal of no carry out, no fatty crud, no sugary coffees AND bought my HRM in 2 weeks!! :laugh:

oooh! I love that idea! my bf and I eat out wayyy tooo much and spend atleast $20 - $40 each time. It really adds up and then we are left wondering why we can't save...Getting a money jar today!
  • fortiter00
    fortiter00 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info I have to get one of these, that shows calories burned. I got an oregon scientific one with debit card points, and programmed it, but it never finds my HR. Then I went out and got a battery for my girlfriends old HRM (it's a Mio Sport) and it only tells you your HR. I need to probably invest in the Polar 7. I've heard it mentioned a few times.

I have been doing Power 90, and have done nothing but guess at calories burned so far, based on the length of the workout. I have a couple of the Wii weight loss games, but haven't really got into using them regularly. I got biggest loser for Christmas. The Wii Fit plus I played with my nieces a bunch. I like them for bonus workouts, above my regular routine (they are fun). Especially the obstacle course on Wii fit plus.

Again, thanks for the info, and enjoy. Any tips on what to do on Biggest Loser?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    fortiter, as for what to do on Wii BL... get your butt kicked by Bob or Jillian is all I can say! Basically when you play the game, you create a profile, set goals, and choose Bob or Jillian as your trainer. After that, you log your calories daily, and they will have a workout for you every other day. The workouts are always different, and vary in level of difficulty. Once a week you have a physical challenge event, and every couple of days you're given a challenge to complete IRL. For instance "eat a piece of fruit instead of a candy bar", or "Drink a glass of water instead of soda". Stuff like that. It will help you make better choices.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Today was an off day on Wii BL, but I did a workout anyway. BL said about 120 total (10 for warmup, 100 for workout, 10 for cool down). HRM said 405 total. I feel like I'm finally being challenged, and I think I'm emotionally ready for it. Only took 4 months to get here!
  • twilightmom30
    Options
    I purchsed the Sportline S12 12-function ECG heart rate watch will this work for me while using the biggest loser on the Wii?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    The S12 is what I got for Christmas. It had so many stinkin problems, I took it back to the store. It kept resetting itself right in the middle of my workouts. I had to put my age, weight, everything back in, every single time. It even completely froze once! Needless to say, I got my money back, and invested it in a better quality one.
    I don't recommend HRMs that are wristwatches only.
  • CinthiaF
    CinthiaF Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    May i ask how you put your exercises in with that game not being in the system or am i doing something wrong when typing it in?? And also does it matter if you get the Polar F6 or a different one i am just wondering. Because i am really wanting one and just wanted to make sure. Thanks
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I just log it under general aerobics, low impact. I've only had experience with Polar, so can't personally recommend any other brands, although I've heard garmin & mio are good.