Anyone understand pant sizes?

Options
michellekicks
michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
I am trying to figure out pant sizes... I am wearing about a size 10 (Can/US) in most pants, but then today I bought a pair of 30" pants... what part is supposed to be 30"?! I have a 34" waist and 38" hips. Why are they a 30?

Anyone know or understand this?

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    No one understands it. It's a mass conspiracy on the part of the apparel industry to drive us all insane, slowly, while making us shop ceaselessly, searching for the "right" size. Don't succumb!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    i dont get it either lol i went to urban outfitters and couldnt try anything on because i have no clue what those numbers were referring to. because if those are waist sizes, then the biggest one they had was a size 6. lol
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    30 Inch pants is supposed to be a 30 inch waist. I've actually found pants that go by waist sizes to be fairly accurate but i can also depends on weather they're skinny jeans or not and also where they fall like if they come up high or low. but I am pretty much always a size 25 or 26 in jeans that go by waist but i like a little extra room and im also super short & they tend to be way too long apparently all women are 6 feet tall now? haha but yeah it can be different fits by different designers be 30 inch=30 inch waist but that can fit differently depending on the style of the jeans.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    usually it refers to waist size. but as you've prolly noticed every brand varies. men's sizes (US) usually go strictly by the waist measurement and that's why their sizes are more uniform industry-wide than womens.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    lol so they're trying to create a magic unicorn world where my waist is 30" around? Awesome :laugh:
  • yoyogirl68
    Options
    Well in Australia, we are different sizes. I think our 14 is your size 10.
    But regardless of that - a size 14 in one brand, is not the same as a size 14 in another brand.
    It's a rort!
  • Larisonlj
    Larisonlj Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It was explained to me by a salesgirl once that for certain brands that use the waist size you take your size and add 21. Size 10 + 21 = 31 waist size. Of course every brand is different and fits you differently. I have a size 4 in one brand and a 9 in another brand.