Need ideas what to use in place of Margarine

Options
auntkaren
auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
Margarine is one of my weaknesses..........I have always over done it. A habit I have tried to change by buying Smart Balance margarine. But a tblsp seems to me that most the foods are still dry and lacking in something. Like a baked potato I have to choke it down for being so dry. I like margarine on all veg., toast and would have the calories high by the end of the day even though the veggies are low. :cry:

Replies

• auntkaren
    Options
    Margarine is one of my weaknesses..........I have always over done it. A habit I have tried to change by buying Smart Balance margarine. But a tblsp seems to me that most the foods are still dry and lacking in something. Like a baked potato I have to choke it down for being so dry. I like margarine on all veg., toast and would have the calories high by the end of the day even though the veggies are low. :cry:
  • jill5677
    jill5677 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I really like the spray margarines. They are v low in calories, and a few sprays can really help! :wink:
  • WillPillageYourVillageForFood
    Options
    Imperial margarine is 70 calories for 2 tablespoons. Another trick I use is to measure it out and then nuke it long enough to melt it and pour it over my baked potato. For some reason I feel like I am getting more when it is pre-melted rather than it melting on my food. Just another way I trick my brain into thinking it's getting more when it's really not. :smile:
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    There is some substitute I used to use that you can get at Wal Mart. It comes in plastic container just like margarine. It is only 5 calories per tablespoon. I forget the name but it is with all of the other butter products
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I hear you:frown:, I was a sauce fan...... margerine, may, ketchup, honey...I like to dip my foods and cover with creamy sauces. I am still not happy about it, but what a small sacrifice to save so many calories for REAL food, by cutting down on the sauces. You'll get used to having less, but you'll always look back at the yummy smothering of margerine. I would rather have another snack in the day than waste 100-200 cals on sauces. I just slowly started cutting back.....3 tablespoons became 2 and when I got used to that taste it became 1 etc.... Good luck from another margerine and sauce fan!:laugh:
  • my3kids
    my3kids Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i use fat free sour cream and A1 steak sauce on my bakers i know im weird LOL !!!
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Thanks for some of your ideas.....:smile:
  • julie737
    julie737 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There is some substitute I used to use that you can get at Wal Mart. It comes in plastic container just like margarine. It is only 5 calories per tablespoon. I forget the name but it is with all of the other butter products

This sounds interesting. I'll probably look for it at WalMart. What color is the container?
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Canola Harvest tastes, melts and cooks like butter.

Ingredients: Liquid canola oil, water, palm oil, palm kernel oil, salt, whey powder (milk), soybean lecithin, vegetable monoglycerides, potassium sorbate (preservative), artifical flavor, citric acid, vitamin E (dl-alpha-tocopherol acetate),vitamin A palmitate, beta-carotene, vitamin D3.

It is a processed food and I don't know if any of the ingredients are unhealthy...hope someone chimes in,

Fat Dancer
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Laughing Cow Light Wedges - I spread them on everything now!
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    i use i cant believe its not butter and the spray has 0 cals
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Fat free white sauce is awesome for spuds and veggies. Not so good for toast, but nothing's perfect.

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/sauces/basic-white-sauce

This is the recipe I use, when I'm not too lazy to do any serious cooking and just upend a can of cheddar cheese soup on whatever it is.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Fat free white sauce is awesome for spuds and veggies. Not so good for toast, but nothing's perfect.

http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/sauces/basic-white-sauce

This is the recipe I use, when I'm not too lazy to do any serious cooking and just upend a can of cheddar cheese soup on whatever it is.
    Thank You I will check it out..sounds like a good idea:happy:
  • auntkaren
    Options
    i use i cant believe its not butter and the spray has 0 cals
    o calories:happy: I don't think it gets any better then that!
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    The substitute at walmart comes in packages of 2 and it is either Fleischmanns or the brand with the Indian girl on it. Sorry I cant remember any more than that
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Laughing Cow Light Wedges - I spread them on everything now!
    I have never heard of Laughing Cow until I came on here......I'll have to see if they carry it around here.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I took a nutrition class in college, and the teacher was saying that those oil sprays (like PAM or whatever) still are filled with calories. They can say on the package because according to the serving size, the amount of calories cannot be measured. I guess the FDA was ok with that, and really, who uses a 1 second spray..or whatever it is. Has anyone else heard of this? My mom is a registered dietician, so I'll have to ask her, but, if you think of it...oil is oil, and they both have to have calories. Nothing in life is free:)
    I'll let you know if I find anything out, but, I would still be careful of those. Good luck!
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    I took a nutrition class in college, and the teacher was saying that those oil sprays (like PAM or whatever) still are filled with calories. They can say on the package because according to the serving size, the amount of calories cannot be measured. I guess the FDA was ok with that, and really, who uses a 1 second spray..or whatever it is. Has anyone else heard of this? My mom is a registered dietician, so I'll have to ask her, but, if you think of it...oil is oil, and they both have to have calories. Nothing in life is free:)
    I'll let you know if I find anything out, but, I would still be careful of those. Good luck!
    Yep, basically if they keep the fat below a certain point they can call it fat free. Makes sense for things like vegetables, not so much for itsy bitsy sprays of vegetable oil. Oh, and it's not a second size serving... it's a third of a second. I wonder how people are supposed to measure that.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I'm going to be the odd man out here and make a suggestion: practice eating your foods without margarine, use spices or herbs or other seasonings instead. Like everything else we go through, it's a learning process and you can learn to enjoy the natural taste of vegetables that way. I personally choose butter over margarine, good or bad, but I so seldom use it anyway. I buy corn on the cob when it's in season and eat it heated, but plain. MMMMM Toast or bagels go with a small serving of apple butter. MMMMM I love my food really hot and spicy so I have a wonderful selection of low calorie spices that I add to everything and then I don't care if it has butter or not.

And I just have to tell this story. I was shopping last week and the people next to me in the checkout stand had a tub of margarine so large I honestly could not imagine what they were doing with it unless it was something nonfood related. Seriously. It must have been 5 pounds worth, maybe 10. I don't know. And they had a couple of other odd ingredients in thier basket too but I don't recall what it was, it was just DIFFERENT since I wouldn't eat that much margarine in probably ten years.
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I use this too, and even my kids put it onto their veggies!