Nutrition Calculation Frustration

Options
I'm just curious regarding this. How accurate is the calculator. I make a lot of food that are made from scratch. For example my homemade lasagna 1lbs of lean beef, 2 links of mild Italian sausage, 2 cans of crushed tomato's, 1 small can of tomato paste, 1 can tomato sauce, herbs and spices. Filling: low fat cottage cheese and low fat ricotta, fresh spinach, and low fat mozzarella. The noodles are whole wheat. How do I calculate this. I have tried by looking at each individual ingredient and trying to do the math, but I think I am way off. Now I remember my issue with diary's in college, if its homemade, it is a ***** to figure your exact nutrient amount. ARGH. Frustration. Anyone have an easier way of doing this, rather than using weird mathematical formulas.

Replies

• learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php?process=resubmit&count=11

Someone posted this the other day, not sure what topic, i find it works really well.
  • FrankyOsage
    Options
    What I've done with the food I've cooked (chili for instance) was add in all the ingredients and save it as a meal. MFP lets you choose the serving size so if I what I make makes 10 servings, I just at 0.1 servings of the whole meal. Its worked for me so far!!
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    On the website Sparkrecipes.com you can enter all the ingredients of any recipe or meal you make at home and it will calculate all the nutrition information for you. You enter how much is a serving and it will tell you how much for each serving.
  • sssrip
    sssrip Posts: 72
    Options
    I use Sparkrecipes.com and it seems to do a good job.
  • biffy107
    Options
    Wow! Thanks. What a big help. I love this site more and more.