itchy skin from cardio?

Options
ktno1
ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
This is something that has plagued me for my entire life and is exacerbated by cold weather but still bad in warm weather.

Whenever I do cardio exercise, especially jogging, about 5-10minutes in I get very itchy skin especially around the thighs and the tummy (the two places where most of my excess fat is).

If I ignore it, it will calm down about 5-10 minutes after stopping the exercise. But sometimes it's so intense that I can't help but scatch, which makes it even itchier!

I know it isn't from clothing because I've done cardio workouts in just shorts and a sports bra and still had the itchiness.

Has anybody experienced this? Does anyone know the scientific reason for it? Or how to prevent/avoid it?

Cheers!

Replies

• ShowKitten
    ShowKitten Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I get this too! I'd be interested in what people think.
  • SashThompson
    SashThompson Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    From what I've read in other forums its more common than you think. Although I'm not 100% sure what it is, people have been saying that if you put talcum powder or anti perspirant on the specific area it can help to relieve the itching.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Generally this a circulation issue. Push thru it as best you can and it will start to happen later and later into your workouts. Very quickly it won't be an issue at all.
  • lilylux
    lilylux Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Generally this a circulation issue. Push thru it as best you can and it will start to happen later and later into your workouts. Very quickly it won't be an issue at all.

This.

Used to happen to me on my thighs and tummy but as I've lost more fat it barely happens anymore. The more blood you get circulating through your fat the better :) Good luck.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I used to get this too!
    My skin would got really red and itchy and it would be hot to the touch!! So I think it was due to the extra body heat I was producing and the blood having to be pumped round my body more ... ? This is just my theory.

I've been exercising for quite a whille now and have not experianced this for ages, I suppose body is more effeciant now?

Hopefully if you continue to regularly work out, this will get better for you too :-)
  • ktno1
    ktno1 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Nice to know I'm not the only one. Hopefully with regular workouts it will start to improve!
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I get that too when it's super cold. I don't know the reason behind it but it is super annoying.