Over-eating at breakfast

Options
I usually eat a small breakfast and small lunch because I know I can't keep from eating 1000+ calories in the evening.

This morning I went out for breakfast and ate 700 calories. Waffles, banana, nutella.

I feel pretty anxious about what I'm going to eat for the rest of the day (especially because I have a work function tonight where I'll be expected to have at least a couple of drinks).

I'm hungry already (10am here, so the 'big' breakfast didn't even keep me full!) and dreading the rest of the day. Any advice? Days like this stress me out and I feel like there's nothing to look forward to knowing I'll have to stick to super-low-cal soup for lunch and dinner. Can't keep my mind off food.

Replies

• DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Try a La Zuppa soup from the shops, they're low cal and filling, and go for a walk, if you're walking you're not eating.
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    And if you're walking your using more calories!
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot in the evening because you are bored?
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am stuck at my desk at work unfortunately.

And yes, I usually eat a lot in the evening through a combination of boredom, hunger (because I haven't eaten enough in the day! catch 22...), work (I don't get to eat a proper dinner till 10pm usually) and binge tendencies.
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Can you keep your cals low on your drinks tonight? Vodka lime sodas are my favourite!

Other that that i can only suggest huge piles of low cal salads and glasses of water.

Or just thinking sod it, and eating as you normally would for the rest of the day, and not doing the same tomorrow!

I know how you feel though, i've got the munchies already too!
  • mimiyo1980
    mimiyo1980 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Keep drinking water, change it up and drink sparkling or add a few drops of lemon or herbal teas. I find it helps to trick myself in to thinking i am consuming, which always makes me feel better (hence needing to lose weight)!!
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Snack on crunchy pickles throughout the day (next to no calories), or sugar free jello, if its a sweet tooth you get. Both have next to no calories and are satisfying. These too items got me through many months of dieting hard for my competitions. Good luck!
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Ahhh the downfalls of breakfast.

The reason breakfast didn't keep you full is because of a lesser observed hormonal combination usually mistaken for "kickstarting your metabolism" when really all you did was cause hypoglycemia from the cortisol/insulin slurry.

You can either go super-low-calorie all day and save the rest for the evening or bite the bullet and take a day over maintenance. Honestly, I'd rather go with the latter one day isn't going to kill you. Then again niether is hunger for a day. If it was me I would skip on the drinks too.
  • DeTaart
    Options
    Ahhh the downfalls of breakfast.

The reason breakfast didn't keep you full is because of a lesser observed hormonal combination usually mistaken for "kickstarting your metabolism" when really all you did was cause hypoglycemia from the cortisol/insulin slurry.

Precisely why I usually have a small breakfast and stick to protein. The waffles weren't even good. Y'know that disappointing feeling when you have a calorie splurge then think "I could have had a delicious huge omlette and veggies and toast and still been half of those cals"?
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Don;t go low calories all day, you'll only get drunk too easy early on, be dying tomorrow and eat like a horse

Just realx, eat normally for the rest of the day and enjoy this evening,

You are going over one way or the other, so may as well enjoy it
  • Jester522
    Options
    Precisely why I usually have a small breakfast and stick to protein. The waffles weren't even good. Y'know that disappointing feeling when you have a calorie splurge then think "I could have had a delicious huge omlette and veggies and toast and still been half of those cals"?

Yup. Although its been some time since ive had breakfast. Kind of nostalgic about it at times.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    On days that I do that I make sure i earn some calories back through exercise.

I did the very same yesterday but earnt enough back for a lovely dinner :)
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I really struggle with breakfast mainly because Im out of the house every morning by 6.30am and cant get up earlier to make a decent breakfast because I lack sleep in the working week too. I enjoy protein pancakes on a day where I have an extra 5 mins to make it, otherwise I tend to stick to yogurt, fruit, or porridge. The one thing that works for me is preplanning in the morning, working out all my meals before work so I know if I can add extra snacks or have to change up lunch or dinner to allow for calories. If you've had a big breakfast I would go for a chicken salad, the protein in the salad should hopefully fill you up. If you can, get a salad over the counter so you can ask for a little extra chicken, thats what I usually do!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and you are all over the map with your calorie totals. Some days you aren't eating enough at all. Try to stick to your totals. At 1800 calories per day, you can easily do 500 calories per meal with 300 left for snacks. Try to be more consistent and your body will get used to it.

As for waffles, I save those for the weekends and/or on exercise days when you can eat a little more. And have some protein with them so that when they are digested, you still have the protein to digest until lunch. I like sausages with mine. Good luck to you.
  • DeTaart
    Options
    I peeked at your diary and you are all over the map with your calorie totals. Some days you aren't eating enough at all. Try to stick to your totals. At 1800 calories per day, you can easily do 500 calories per meal with 300 left for snacks. Try to be more consistent and your body will get used to it.

As for waffles, I save those for the weekends and/or on exercise days when you can eat a little more. And have some protein with them so that when they are digested, you still have the protein to digest until lunch. I like sausages with mine. Good luck to you.

Great advice thanks. I will try to eat 500 cals at breakfast and lunch with the aim of feeling less hungry at night. It just makes me a little anxious when I don't have any "spare" for the evening!
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Of course it won't keep you full. It is sugar, with sugar, and more sugar and starch. You will also crash at 2 pm looking for more sweets. Forget about calories today. Eliminate all carbs for the rest of the day, and load up on eggs, meat, fish and good fats (coconut oil, butter, fat from meats) and start again tomorrow with eggs for breakfast. Good luck.
  • Jester522
    Options

Crucial points noted here. Good post.