Help! I've pulled a muscle !

Options
I've been jogging for several weeks now, only for 20 mins and I actually do that on my Vibration Plate machine for a double workout, its been working really well for me until yesterday, I thought I'd do an extra 10 mins, this was later on in the day from when I usually exercise and as I stepped onto my machine all of a sudden I took a searing pain in my groin/hip!! its like my whole hip socket was affected and I couldn't put weight on it as it was agony...I took a long soak in a hot bath thinking that would soothe it, I found that as I walked around the house it 'freed up' quite a bit so that was heartening but when I sat down for any length of time then got up I again was in agony and couldn't put my weight on my foot!!
I slept quite well, though every time I turned I winced in pain and this morning the pain is just not going away! Am worried about this and also the fact that I JUST CAN'T JOG today!!! I'm worried that I'll rest it up and few days and it wont get better...and I'm also worried that resting up with mean I'll lose motivation to stop exercising altogether!! I like my better toned body and it depresses me to think that I might have to stop jogging (I have a recurring hip problem)

Anyway, why I am posting on here is because I'm hoping someone else has had this type of injury and can tell me how long I can expect to be laid up for? Do I need to rest it?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    None of us know the severity of your pull. Rest up for a few days before you start to panic. All of us have suffered thru some type of pull or strain or much worse and had to lay off for a while. A few days off won't hurt you. And if taking 5-7 days off is going to cause you to lose all motivation then it was going to happen anyway.

Rest up; you'll be fine.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    If its hurting you have to rest it, its your bodies way of stopping you damaging it

For calves, hammers etc I would say ice, rest and stretching.

But when it comes to "joints" I'd go get it looked at.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated :)

I do feel it's muscular and if it keeps on being painful after a day or two I will go see about it - a friend has suggested taking Ibuprofen for a few days in case its inflammation so I might try that.

I don't feel deep down I will lose motivation to exercise cos it makes me feel soooo good when I do :)

still hobbling around lol (thankfully I have a desk job)