Need some help with eating out

Options
lauren3101
lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
So I'm going out for dinner with the parents on Friday, and it will be an indian.

Anyone got any ideas on what to order? My parents always insist on a starter, but we rarely get dessert.
I know to stay away from anything creamy and I'll order plain rice, but to be honest it all looks fattening!

This is the menu:

http://www.everymenu.co.uk/wellingborough/indian/saffron-7658.htm

Would appreciate some advice. Cheers in advance.

Replies

• lauraaaaxo
    lauraaaaxo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    The shashlick is a good choice and it it meat and vegetables without sauce, usually comes on a sizzling plate thing:)
  • lauren3101
    Options
    Mmmmm that sounds good.

What about starters? I've had the duck tikka before ages ago and it came out with no fat on it at all, do you reckon that would be a good choice for a starter?
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the Indian!!!!! Sorry I could not help it because how you worded it :wink: I am really no help sorry
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Eat whatever you want and get back on track the next day, or save some calories for dinner.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'd just make the smartest choices you can while ordering and eat sensible portions. Enjoy being taken out to dinner by your parents, don't fret.

EDIT: i just looked at the menu.. this is what i'd order if i were trying to be lo-calorie

starter: tandorri chicken
    main: tandorri king prawns or dahl samber
    side: green salad (no dressing lemon on the side)
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    I was on Weight Watchers before and the advice they use to give was as follows:

Don't eat anything that is in a creamy/coconut milk sauce as it adds a massive amount of calories. Prefer things that are cooked in tomato sauce.

Obviously, fish and sea food has a lot less calories than meat so try to prefer those too. Skip the rice and eat vegetables instead. Try to prefer grilled meat instead of fried.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I arrived with anticipation and left disappointed.
  • persephone87
    persephone87 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I think if its got no fat on it its a pretty good call. Steer clear of korma, masalla etc with creamy sauces and anything thats been fried. Tandoori would be better because its done in the tandoor oven so theres no oil and its not sitting in fat so its like an indian george foreman
  • lauraaaaxo
    lauraaaaxo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Looking at that menu I would probably pick the king prawn butterfly for starter but I don't usually have a starter when I have Indian, save more room for peshwari naan the yum haha.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Ooohhh...this is tough because I love Indian and always go for saag paneer. I love cream sauces!

Starter: Prawn cocktail
    Meal: Tandoori chicken with a green salad

That is, if you're trying to stay relatively healthy. My advice, eat small, well balanced meals all day, get in a good workout, and enjoy yourself! Eat what appeals to you, but don't overeat.
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I go to an Indian restaurant I always order something "Rogan Josh" as it is a tomato based sauce and I never ever order fried rice- I order boiled rice and I don't eat it all. Enjoy your meal and your parents' company.
  • lauren3101
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Go with chicken shashlik, it's YUMMY! If you must have a starter (and who says you have to?) the mixed grill shouldn't be too bad. Most of all, eat sensibly the rest of the day and try to fit in some exercise (even on another day) to balance it out, ENOY! :happy:
  • martintanz
    Options
    Watch the bread. Some of the Indian breads are high iin carbs and fat.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I would have the aloo chat as a starter. Normally it's not fried, and will include small pieces of boiled potatoes, chickpeas, salad veggies, spices and a yoghurt sauce or chutney. Yum. I'm worried by the inclusion of puree though - depends what type but this can mean deep fried bread...probably best to ask.

I would go for tandoori prawns for main.

Also, ask the waiter to prepare yours with less oil - should be entirely possible...

You could eat with papadums or a little rice if you want to avoid the naan...
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Apparently, they all know the 'alphabet method' so don't bother trying that one.
  • lauren3101
    Options
    What about biriyani? As it's cooked with rice I was thinking I wouldn't want/need to order a separate portion of rice with my main like I would normally.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I think biryani's are the equivilent of a special fried rice at a chinese restaurant there's a good chance the rice is loaded with fat, agree with other posters go for tandoori fish or meat, salad and boiled rice (if you want to get in around 600-700cals), and go for tandoori for starters aswell, second best option ask for something tomatoey and ask for low fat if possible ie balti, rogan josh.

Quite frankly though I'd go for a medium cal (for an indian restaurant) treat/cheat dish ie chicken bhuna with boiled rice and a popadom or chapati (prob around 900 cals for the lot) and be extra good the following day and make sure I do some extra exercise over the week.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'd figure out what you would like and only eat half of everything and bring the other half home and have it next day. Less cals / macros each day and you still get to enjoy all of it
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Don't eat the Indian!!!!! Sorry I could not help it because how you worded it :wink: I am really no help sorry

I dunno, I bet it'd be good protein.