Customizing the food diary - what is yours set to?

Options
I just modified my carbs, protein, and fat. I have a history of type 2 diabetes, even in the smaller women, in my family. I was a gestational diabetic twice and was insulin dependent both times. I don't think 55% carbs is right for me.

I changed my diary to 30% carbs, 35% fat (olive and coconut) and 35% protein. Does that sound about right? Thanks!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    at 1200 calories 30% carbs is 90g which seems OK - reduced carb but not ketogenic.

you might enjoy http://www.drbriffa.com/2012/10/02/diabetic-transforms-his-health-with-a-low-carb-diet-and-his-doctor-urges-him-to-eat-more-carbs/
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Thanks!
  • fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Net Calories 2,000 calories/day
    Carbs / Day 100 g
    Fat / Day 133 g
    Protein / Day 100 g

i just reset mine
    i have been trying many approaches the last few months to find something i like.
    Im trying lowish carb high fat just to see what affect it has, i plan to throw in a 500 cal fast day every few weeks just to help it along.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Can someone please tell me how you do this? I can't find it anywhere.

Also, does anyone know what a good ratio is? Or has MFP already set that for me?
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    @ 2000 -2500 calories a day, I try to aim for 80% carbs, 10% fat, 10% protein - but that's because I eat a mostly raw diet. :)
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1300 cals/day- 140g carbs, 163g protein, 24g fat.

I just recently switched up my goals after I hit my fat loss mark. In a muscle building phase now.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Can someone please tell me how you do this? I can't find it anywhere.

Also, does anyone know what a good ratio is? Or has MFP already set that for me?

Go to the "my home" tab at the top, then "goals", then "change goals" and then "customize".

MFP has you set to 55% carbs. Lots of people here will recommend setting it a little bit lower. There is no “good” ratio, it depends on
    - how many cals you’re eating
    - how much/what type of exercise you’re doing
    - what results you want to achieve/how quickly
    - your energy needs/body type
    - how strict you want to be!

I'm 40:30:30 (carbs:protein:fat) on the basis that it's slightly lower carb but easily achievable.
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mine is 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. This is from my dietician and doctor, I am a type 1 diabetic though. If your worried, I would ask your dr's opinion and either see a dietician or a nutritionist, as everyone is different.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, good people!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep, that sounds good. IMO, MFP's default settings are way off kilter.

FWIW, I'm set to 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fats.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Yep, that sounds good. IMO, MFP's default settings are way off kilter.

FWIW, I'm set to 35% carbs, 35% protein, 30% fats.

Me too. Being the girl version of this guy would be just fine with me!
  • mearlie
    mearlie Posts: 224
    Options
    Great. I'm going to give this setting a go and see how I like it. This is what I LOVE about MFP! tailor it to work with your own body. awesome.