hard to stick to diet

Options
2»

Replies

• quillsHP
    quillsHP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It's a lifestyle change and NOT a diet. Maybe you could cook healthier meals for the family and educate them on health and nutrition and portion sizes? Try to involve them as well. I get it...I find it difficult to keep my hands off of stuff that's bad for me as well...but you know what I do? I just don't buy those things. I buy the healthier alternatives. If I want something crispy(like chips), I eat fruit. Small changes like that. Soon your family will understand and you guys can get healthier together.

Also, don't stress if you slip up one day. Pick yourself up, dust yourself off and just try again the next day. In the grand scheme of things, one pack of chips doesn't hurt you that much.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I have a similar problem. My wife is 5'2" and 110 pounds. She can eat anything she wants and not gain an ounce. I can walk past a pack of cookies and gain weight. I allow room in my diet for limited quantities of things I really like.Then I budget my calories for the day to include these items. That way I do not feel deprived and still get to feel good about getting healthy.

12128895.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

^^^^^ This is a really smart way to do it - you never feel deprived of your favorite foods and that helps us stay more successful on the diet. Good luck to you!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't diet! Don't prepare separate meals for you and your family. That's not sustainable. Do you plan on gaining everything back once you stop dieting? That's what happens when you don't make permanent lifestyle changes.

Make healthy substitutions and changes to your family's recipes (little things they may not even notice) and carefully measure and watch your own portion sizes. That's all it takes. A healthy diet is important for everyone in your family, not just for you. :flowerforyou:
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a diet. Call it a lifestyle change! :smile: Dropping the lbs and gaining them back shortly after isn't fun. Aim for goals that are attainable and start out slow if you need to. Its ok to get some snacks that are just for you and of course as others have mentioned maybe budget your calories so you can have something sweet or something you just love to eat so its not so cold turkey from the diet you're used to :flowerforyou:

^^ This.

Don't you want your family to be healthy too? Yes, they may get to splurge and not have to watch what they eat as much at other times, but healthy meals are good for everyone.
  • PapaDunx
    PapaDunx Posts: 243
    Options
    My lifestyle changes are not radical, and I dont think any should be. Otherwise they become difficult to maintain.

But the one thing I have put in place is more exercise. I have to be honest and say, Im not in the OP's position, and frankly, I am in awe of any parents who try and get fitter whilst their family doesnt have to.

I think its not about dieting per se. I prefer MFP to be to increase my fitness. I have upped my exercise - and I have lost a bunch of weight, by default.

I havent cut out any food stuffs that I cant maintain. I have just swapped them out.

No potato products, I now eat sweet potatoes.
    No pasta. (and boy do I miss my own carbonara - but its a heart attack on a plate)

I eat rice, but then I've lived in Asia for a very long time and its the staple I live on. But, Ive changed that to brown rice.

I've increased my veggie and fruit intake. But I think the major change is the exercise.

I do a lot more and that is maintainable. And its all free stuff. I cycle considerably more, I have some stretching exercises to do when the gym is closed and the weather is rubbish. Stuff on my i-devices to help with the exercises indoors. (if you want the ones I use, then mail me)

So, my advice, for what it's worth, is exercise more and find things that dont radically alter your lifestyle, just adjust them slightly to help.

In 5 weeks I have lost 15lbs, and I dont think I have ever been overly hungry once.
    After all, Im not on a diet, Im just trying to get fitter.