On this journey

Options
So I went to the doctor’s office yesterday to get my thyroid levels checked, of course you have to be weighed and yada, yada, yada…well I got on those scales and I about cried. I held it together but on the inside I was screaming. Spoke to my doctor about a few things then we got on the weight talk…I told her how I really didn’t want to do Bariatric Surgery, she told me about the new NON-SURGICAL Bariatric surgery, but it still didn’t sound like anything I wanted to try. She then told me about her husband using the MFP app, it sounded like a good idea after she explained what it did and here I am starting my journey. I am a pretty optimistic person so excited is one of the words that I can use to explain how I feel TODAY. I will say this, I now understand why the nutrition value is on everything- I pulled up to a fast food restaurant and it had the nutritional value right there on the screen next to the item…so it’s all making sense to me now! I don’t know a whole lot about weight loss and the terminologies but I read a lot and guess I will learn it along the way…HERE I GO!! :wink:

Replies

• sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Im starting my journey also. We can do it together! Good luck
  • RosieToy
    Options
    You can do this! Good luck!
  • Actuate16
    Actuate16 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started a week ago so I am right there with you. Good luck to both of us. We have a long journey ahead of us but it will be well worth it in the end.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Hi, Talia! I can really identify with being petrified to get on the scale at the doctor's office! So much so that I avoided going to the doctor for three years (well, the kind that make you weigh...thankfully the orthopedist doesn't make you weigh!). I finally broke down and went after I had what turned out to be a panic attack. I thought I was having a heart attack or something, and it scared me into finally going to the doctor. I was extremely anxious and worried about having to get on the scale...I knew I was fat, I just could bear to see the actual number. I asked the nurse if she could just skip the weigh-in. She said she had to weigh me, so embarrassing or not, I turned backwards to step on the scale and told her to please not tell me my weight. As it turned out (praise God!) my heart was fine and my blood pressure was my usual 90/70. He did a bunch of bloodwork, and thyroid and other things came back fine. Only problem was high cholesterol (230). I was definitely expecting the cholesterol and stated researching how I was going to lose the weight and lower my cholesterol before I ever got the results. I had to go back for a recheck in 6 weeks, so three weeks after I went, I had decided how I was going to attack the weight loss and began my diet on August 20. When I went back to the doc three weeks later, I did the same scale routine and had her write down the initial weight and the weight that day. I waited to look at it until I was in the car and by myself. I was pleased to see that I weighed a little less than I was guessing to begin with , and that I had lost 9 lbs in the three weeks I had been working hard at dieting. Sorry to ramble on so long. Just wanted to encourage you that you are not alone:) You can do it! Please feel free to add me as a friend if you like.