Exercising on sore muscles

I feel a bit silly for asking this but... I really fancy a gym workout but have very achey quads from some strength training yesterday. I need to run 13 miles tomorrow in preparation for a half marathon in a couple of weeks.

Common sense tells me to take a rest day but I'm really in the mood for exercise. Would it do harm? Could it still do me good? I'm trying to get stronger muscles in the long term and increase general fitness (I'm already pretty fit).

Opinions welcome... :-)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Sore? Push through it.
    Injury? Rest, rehab.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    I generally wait a day if my muscles are sore (I don't work out two days in a row almost ever, anyway). But I don't know the medical opinions on this, so this is a long way of bumping it so I can see what others say.
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Thanks for the replies so far. Just so you know, i'm a doctor myself and there aren't really any 'medical' opinions that i know of. Also, i'm not injured. Thanks
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    I find that biking when my quads and hammies are still sore actually helps, because of the repetitive stretching. However, I don't think running will offer the same benefits. Maybe you should cut back on strength and focus on the marathon for now? It is hard to train for two different goals like that at the same time.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    If I'm just achey from a previous strength workout, I always find I feel better after doing some easier cardio. A mid-distance run at a comfortable pace, the elliptical, or an aerobics class - all work wonders.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Thanks for the replies so far. Just so you know, i'm a doctor myself and there aren't really any 'medical' opinions that i know of. Also, i'm not injured. Thanks

there are artiicles about bloodflow and turnover and recovery improvements by acitivty while sore. google if you like.
  • If I am sore I usually try and do some running or cardio. My muscles always feel better after getting warmed up. Also, try rolling out your sore spots with a foam roller.
  • I am in the same boat. Prepping for a half on the 14th. Ran 10 miles Sat., 2 miles Sun and also lifted legs Sun. Could barely walk Mon. and still sore today. My plan...drive on and run 5 miles tonight. It is best to workout legs before the shorter runs. But try to give yourself a day before long runs and tempo runs. If you still want to lift today then work another body part. I run 4 days a week and lift 3X week doing a 3 day split. Also diet us a huge factor in recovery. Do not skimp on calories and make them count by making them healthy. I have also found the foam massage roller to work really well in recovery.
  • letjog
    there are artiicles about bloodflow and turnover and recovery improvements by acitivty while sore. google if you like.
    [/quote]

Thank you - I'll do that
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Sometimes a workout helps the sore muscles. There have been plenty of times where my legs were super sore from a leg workout the next day and I still hopped on the TM and did a run. After about ten minutes my legs felt a lot better.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Though I wasn't training for a marathon or half-marathon, I asked this question for sore quads several weeks ago. I had many of the same opinions, so I went for a shorter run (2 miles) to sort of get blood flow back. Then heating pad later. I felt fine by the end of the day.

As many have said, soreness is different than injury, and I know in many experiences, working through the soreness can help it go away. However, a rest day isn't a bad option either. I think both can be fine, but one could BRING possible injury if, because of that soreness, your lifting form/strength at running are less.
  • ncashman
    ncashman Posts: 14 Member
    There's a lot of research out there on active recovery. It helps encourage lactic acid removal and speed up muscle recovery. so go for a walk, hike, light bike ride, or yoga or just something to get the muscles moving rather than taking a full rest day. I've started doing active recovery and felt a huge difference. I don't take "rest" days anymore. Keep moving!

This website cited a couple of studies being done in this area. http://crossfitprime.com/?p=2130
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    depends on what you're planning on doing.
    maybe do yoga or some form of low impact ex that will get the blood flowing. maybe a nice swim or ZUmba?

but not something thats going to have lots of squats.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    If you are running tomorrow, give your sore legs a break & work upper body. Problem solved.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    There's a lot of research out there on active recovery. It helps encourage lactic acid removal and speed up muscle recovery. so go for a walk, hike, light bike ride, or yoga or just something to get the muscles moving rather than taking a full rest day. I've started doing active recovery and felt a huge difference. I don't take "rest" days anymore. Keep moving!

This website cited a couple of studies being done in this area. http://crossfitprime.com/?p=2130

This makes sense. I know that when my son or the other guys pitched a game the coach had them run to remove the lactic acid.
  • letjog
    I am in the same boat. Prepping for a half on the 14th. Ran 10 miles Sat., 2 miles Sun and also lifted legs Sun. Could barely walk Mon. and still sore today. My plan...drive on and run 5 miles tonight. It is best to workout legs before the shorter runs. But try to give yourself a day before long runs and tempo runs. If you still want to lift today then work another body part. I run 4 days a week and lift 3X week doing a 3 day split. Also diet us a huge factor in recovery. Do not skimp on calories and make them count by making them healthy. I have also found the foam massage roller to work really well in recovery.

You sound dedicated. Personally I'm prone to shin spints and have unfortunately had 2 stress fractures in the past and so I'm ONLY doing 1 run a week - long run, and doing interval cardio in the gym to save my legs. It's worked so far and I feel the fittest I've ever been. My rule is never to start a run with tired calves, sadly, that's just what I have to do.
  • letjog
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Active recovery and upper body won. I decided to do 30mins elliptical intervals as that works the butt more than the sore quads, then I did some upper body weights and abs. Glad I went. :)